PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 22 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

5stringdeath
02-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Today I received BlackDog's awesome candle photograph. The wonderful postal service(s) barcoded the image side .. but for me that's just part of the "postcard" aesthetic, and luckily was on the side with more border. Plus now I have an untouched 67p stamp, hehe. Cheers.

hpulley
02-25-2011, 06:58 PM
I got Ruediger's "Into the light" today, beautiful lighting as the title suggests. Thanks! That's 3 so far (plus my own).

piu58
02-26-2011, 01:02 AM
I got black dog's card which shows it's children (I belive they are it's). I enjoyed the photo very much. I remembered my own children which are adults now.

Black Dog
02-26-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks Uwe-they're my niece and nephew who I've been photographing since they were babies [if you got the square one, the look of intense concentration on my nephew's face is because he's fishing in a rockpool]. 5stringdeath-bad luck on the barcode but thanks for the appreciative comment:D!

Laurent
02-26-2011, 07:08 AM
I received 5stringdeath's "Summer, Saint Louis, MO" today. Nice capture of an interesting moment. It's amazing to see all these people looking at the same object at the same time.

Thanks !

meltronic
02-26-2011, 08:34 AM
I received Ruediger's card on Thursday - Into the Light. I love the mouse-eye view and the two handrails, like tentacles pulling me into the unknown. Thank you Ruediger.

Matt

sly
02-26-2011, 11:52 AM
I've now recieved a handful of cards - hanging off the edge of the continent here means I'm always a few days behind everyone else - even other Canadians.

A building detail from Wheelock - I think from Robert McCann. Nice tonal range.
"Into the Light" by Rudeiger. I like the low viewpoint.
Fishing by Johnny Walker - a photo that illustrates why BC is the best place to live.
Meltronic's pastoral scene with deer - very peaceful, and the perfectly posed deer is amazing.
"Footprint, Sand, Pebbles" by oxleyroad - The longer format works well with the contrast in texture between the 2 sides.
"Canal St" by Moopheus - graphic, good details chosen.
Dave Martiny's random plant - gotta love the lovely edges to those leaves.
Vlad's "Opium" - interesting selective focus.

My cards went in the mail yesterday. After reading all the differnt suggestions on how to optimize labels I decided it was less challenging to handwrite tham all. Previously I've made labels, but it's always driven me nuts to copy and paste and get things lined up right. Giving myself permission to take my time and address a dozen or so on those evenings when I'm sit in front of the TV, was much less stressful.
My fellow Canucks all got boring stamps on theirs (sorry) but everyone elsewhere got oddball combinations. I used up old stamps I found at the back of the drawer bolstered by small denominations as needed. Lots of licking! If you don't like the photo, you can always look at the pretty stamps.

5stringdeath
02-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I received 5stringdeath's "Summer, Saint Louis, MO" today. Nice capture of an interesting moment. It's amazing to see all these people looking at the same object at the same time.

Thanks !

Wow I'm amazed it made it to France so fast! Thanks for the comments :)

BirgerA
02-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Hi all

So far I have received cards from:

Black Dog
Dave Martiny
gurkenprinz
johnnywalker
meltronic
Mike Wilde
Oxleyroad
paul_c5x4
piu58
rst
vyshemirsky

There is also one card where I'm not able to identify the sender. It's sent from the US, and the the writing on the back is quite limited. It says something like 'Wheelock VT 2010' and and indication as to what is up on the image.

Thanks to everyone for sending, I'm working on getting darkroom time for my own cards.

Roger Thoms
02-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Latest Arrivals!!!

5stringdeath: Interesting choice with the placement of the pole. Brings back good memories of going to the amusement park when I was younger.

Blackdog: Another nice summer shot, that brings back childhood memories. A family friend across town had a trampoline and I was always a real treat when we got to visit.

ccross: A cold wintery scene, in contrast to the two previous cards. I like it.

Roger

Rob Skeoch
02-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Just a short up-date regarding the cards I've received recently.
Thank you for all the great images.
-Rob
Harry Pulley's Night Clings
Ian's Royal Albert Hall
Andrew Carson's Osleyroad
Canal St. New York
Johnny Walker's son fishing
Into the light by Ruedigers
Dave Martiny's San Diego
Black Dog's Moment observed
Elephant House
Jaguar Mascot

sly
02-27-2011, 11:30 AM
The one from Vermont (VT) is a puzzle - but Robert McCann (aka sepiareverb), lives in Vermont, and posted his cards on Feb. 16th. He's the only one on my list hailing from that state, so it makes sense it's from him.
The image is a bit of a puzzle too - boarded up building? makeshift door on henhouse?
Lets hope Rob chimes in to clear up the mystery.

Laurent
03-01-2011, 06:32 AM
I received to day the very nice card from hpulley. The grain serves the image very well.

Thanks !

Mike Wilde
03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Images in hand to date:

Dave Martiny – Random Plant – A very nice image, and good use of tonality when it was printed.
The crisp rendering of the water droplets and the tiny part of the out of focus background let us discern quickly what we are looking at. But the beauty of the patterns and tones pleases our eyes at once, even before the brain has figured out what it is looking at.

Gurkenprinz – Second Life. Graffiti on objects in an abandon factory. Oh you have hit on a subject that I too love to photograph. The shadowing on the left ‘eye’ gives a great hint to the three dimensional object you have captured. The texture of the rocks in the foreground aids in placing the object.

Meltronic – Lovely pastoral scene reflected in the foreground. The loss of symmetry with the power lines disappearing to white in the sky, but showing in the reflection is my only hint of criticism. A bit of burn on the sky likely could have brought out the power lines in the sky.

Moopheus – Candy store figurines – I quite like this image. Whimsical, with a nice palette of tones. I enjoy the framing, with the cutting off part of the right hand figure’s face. I did not see the original scene, but I would have been interested to see how the image printed with perhaps half a grade higher contrast to allow light areas to print a bit lighter.

Oxley Road – Footprint at sand’s edge. This is a great image that shows the capabilities of monochrome to render all sorts of textural and tonal ranges. I quite enjoy the use of the sepia toning, and the embossed mark of the maker is a distinct plus as well. It is a testament to the discerning eye of the maker that this scene was brought to us to appreciate at all.

rst – Into the Light A captivating image. I don’t mind that it was taken from the floor at all, and the placement of the ‘horizon’, where the floor ends, and the printing of the image as a square enhance the mystical spin this image can have. Where does it lead, and how big am I/is this space were the two visual queries I first asked when looking at the image. I quite like needing a second take on an image to fully absorb what it has to say.

hpulley
03-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Great to hear Rob and Laurent have received my cards. Canada Post is doing better than I'd expected.

Roger Thoms
03-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Great to hear Rob and Laurent have received my cards. Canada Post is doing better than I'd expected.

And I also received you postcard on Monday, very nice, thanks.

Roger

hpulley
03-01-2011, 09:20 PM
And I also received you postcard on Monday, very nice, thanks.

Roger

Great! This has already been a lot of fun, will probably sign up for the max next time.

johnnywalker
03-01-2011, 11:45 PM
I received 3 more postcards recently: Ruediger's "Into the Light", which reminded me of the tunnel with the light at the end that people who have had near-death experiences are purported to see, but I never realized there would be handrails; Moopheus' candy store figurines - nice tones and composition, and I think would be a good photo to try a bit of hand-colouring; and Sly's "Snowing Again", a lovely snow scene of a field and fence.

anikin
03-02-2011, 11:11 AM
My cards are finally printed and in the mail. I'm so happy!
As usual, I have received an amazing collection of beautiful photographs:

Mike Wilde Beautiful set of three photos. I love reading the little stories behind each photo. Nice job of contrast masking on the first image! What I don't understand, how do you manage to print three photos for each exchange? I am getting totally exhausted from printing just one set!

Fleath Photo of rubbish. The photo just glows. You've done real alchemy here - made some gold from rubbish. :) Nice job!

Rudiger's Into the Light. Very unreal picture. It looks more like an abstract charcoal drawing.

5stringdeath Summer in St. Louis, MO. Arghhhh! What a refreshing look. After several months of winter I'm ready to just jump into this picture and enjoy the sun, warmth and fun of the fair!

Oxleyroad Footprint, Sand and Pebbles. This photo makes a very nice abstract. I love the toning! You've done it just perfectly. And you did not have to mention the scratch - I did not even notice it until I read the description, it does not distract from the beauty of the picture at all.

JohnnyWalker Fishing trip. I think you've got the better catch in this trip than your son. All the fish is gone by now, but you still have the photos and memories that will last forever!

vyshemirsky Opium. What a philosophical photo! I love the sharpness, the detail, the softness of the background and of course the description on the back. Very nicely done!

Dave Martiny Untitled. Desperate? I wish I could be this desperate sometimes! Just excellent abstract of tones and lines.

Moopheus Land Idol. Beautiful flowers and the statue!

hpulley Night Clings. Sharp, grainy and absolute stillness in the air. What camera did you use?

ccross Away for the winter. This looks like a poem. I love winter snow photos. Can you share now you made the black border? It looks fantastic.

Mick Fagan Drowned tree. Excellent detail. I love the milky water! How do you like your Shen Hao? I'm thinking about getting one myself sometime in the distant future...

piu58 Elephant house. Just like everyone else, I was fooled by the photo. I thought it was some kind of a church. Nicely done!

meltronic Photo of the deer. Actually, at first I did not see the deer, I thought it was a panorama of a lake and grandiose tree. The silhouette of the deer gives it a very nice touch! Great job of the borders! It must have been a lot of work cutting them out.

Also, one mystery card from Vermont. I assume it's from sepiareverb. By the way, the subject is also a perfect mystery! Nice abstract.

hpulley
03-02-2011, 01:48 PM
I took Night Clings with a Canon EOS 1N RS, Delta 400 pushed to 1600 and developed in HC-110 for extra grain.