PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 22 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Mike Wilde
03-02-2011, 03:08 PM
> What I don't understand, how do you manage to print three photos for each exchange? I am getting totally exhausted from printing just one set!

I usually sus out potential images for postcard exchanges well in advance of needing to print, and list them on a page tacked to a cork board board beside my dry desk.

So when the time to print comes, I am not humming and hawing on what to print.
Just open the right neg filer page plus contact sheet binder, look over the first one that rings the bell for the time, and start.
Fish out the neg, load the right neg carrier, spin the right lens into place, and change the diffuser if necessary. Analyse to guess at the right contrast filtration to start, and set the lens aperture for a likely exposure of about 12-16 seconds.
Print the image in f/stop increments between 8 and 32 seconds using a great little printer rig that blasts the 7 strips for these times as 7 1"x5" segments side by side on a single 5x7 piece of paper. Confirm from test strip if I need to change fitration, or make a mask to help aviod dodging and burning on every print.
I develop for 3" 1:3 in agfa 100 - a diy mix clone of Dektol if printing on FB, or 2" 1:2 if RC.
Make notes of the best time when wet. Let dry, and (if rushed) microwave them dry to get a handle on dry down. Adjust time to account for dry down, usually just for FB.
Make notes. Cut paper to size, if needed before the mass printing session.

Mass production comes as a second session. I expose about 16 -18 at a time, and lay them face down after exposure, out of line of the enlarges light spill on the dry desk.

I develop the almost 5x7 prints in a well filled 11x14 tray all 16 at a time. I flip them into the developer face down as soon as the one under it it wet. One hand is wet, one hand stays dry until all exposed prints in the stack are in the tray. Then I turn the stack, and start flipping them continously stack to stack. I flip them out into a well filled stop bath- acid if fb, running water if rc, and then an rc rinse before going into a gallon of TF-3 1:3 for fixing in a deep 11x14 tray, and flip again, like in the developer. On to second fix, rinse, hypo clear if FB.

I wash 16 at a time with a tray syphon and a 20x24 tray, and regualrly clear print piles.

So in one night after work I can get though printing about 32-34 prints.

Obviously FB takes longer than RC. I have a clothes pin line over the sink that lets me corner clip the RC prints. Under the sink I have horizontal mesh screens that lets me dry FB face down.
FB is harvested off the screens the next morning and squashed between 2 peices of plywood held by clamps for a few dary to kill off most of the curl.

I make a note of the image and compile the notes in the morning at work, and when enough printing is done I string 3 sets of printing notes together, and then print tehem off and cut the info notes up. I have dry mounted the notes printed onto cardstock in the past to put DW FB postcards though the mail, but that is a lot of work.
I have also printed onto labesl, as others have already discussed.

I printed a lot while hanging out with my 8 and 11 yo kids over the week between Chistmas and New Years when they were off school and I was vacationing.
I printed 7 different images in those days for over 230 5x7 size prints, and actually have the next round of 3 fers ready to go, and one print for my planned round of 3 fers for the round after that on hold ready to go.

Mostly I print postcard images ahead to get me into the darkroom. It is sometimes a few weeks between when I even set foot in there these days.
Then I get the occassional commercial assignment, but printing them is usally not a fun.
Otherwise it is the responsibilities of being Dad, hubby, and the project manager for a small team at work that occupies my busy time by day, and a lot of night and weekend times.

MattKing
03-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I’ve received card(s) from 8 people so far in this exchange:

Dave Martiny - “Untitled” - nicely seen, and well printed too
gurkenprinz - “Early Morning in India” - beautiful light and such a feeling of motion
meltronic - “Pastoral Scene” - mysterious, and is that a deer?
Mike Wilde - three prints again this exchange - “Post Industrial Abandon” - I don’t know whether it is the light, or the paper, but this looks like a print from the 1960s - “Leo’s Fish & Chips in St. John’s” - I really like the expressions - “Toronto’s Yonge at Dundas circa 1985" - suits the paper well!
Moopheus - “Williams Candy” - it looks like they are winking at me
Oxleyroad - “Footprint, Sand and Pebbles” - subtle colour, and interesting forms
rst - “Into the Light” - a very nice pinhole image
sly - “Snow Fence” - a very nice contact print - I feel cold just looking at it

8 down, 20 to go :)

Thanks to everyone for participating.

BirgerA
03-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Hello again

Two more cards have arrived.

5stringdeath: "Summer, St. Louis, MO" and hpulley: "Night Clings".

Thanks

anikin
03-03-2011, 12:01 PM
I took Night Clings with a Canon EOS 1N RS, Delta 400 pushed to 1600 and developed in HC-110 for extra grain.

Thank you hpulley. Nice camera and definitely nice job of pushing this film! It's funny how digital users get obsessed with just a little bit of grain while you managed to create a great atmosphere by adding quite a bit of it :laugh:

anikin
03-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Thank you Mike for such a detailed description of your process! It's great that you are able to keep all these responsibilities and manage to find time for the darkroom fun. So far I've been printing the postcards in just one session, that's why it's been a bit overwhelming. I'll try the smaller batches next time. Thanks!

hpulley
03-03-2011, 03:14 PM
:laugh: I love grain. Perhaps I'll use some Delta 3200 pushed to 6400 or 12500 next round...

Thank you hpulley. Nice camera and definitely nice job of pushing this film! It's funny how digital users get obsessed with just a little bit of grain while you managed to create a great atmosphere by adding quite a bit of it :laugh:

piu58
03-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Yesterday I received Sly's snowing again. Al large format photo! I like the card very mach. It is a contact print taken with a Crown Graphic camera.

anikin
03-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Two more for me as well:
Sly Snowing scene. I love the light wintery tones of this contact print. Oh, and love the stamps with insects on the back!
ignatiu5 Spires. That's university? I thought is was some church or a mosque! The moon makes a really nice touch!

5stringdeath
03-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Yesterday I received Sly's snowing again. Al large format photo! I like the card very mach. It is a contact print taken with a Crown Graphic camera.

Same here received yesterday .. thanks!

George Nova Scotia
03-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Lot's of cards received, many great images. My cards are in the post office today, with any luck they'll make their way across the world over the next few weeks.

meltronic
03-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I received two more cards recently...

Lillian Sly's "Snowing Again Today!" - Well maybe that's not the title but it works. I've really enjoyed going over this card with a magnifier. You captured lots of beautiful detail in the snow. A very peaceful, quiet image. Thank you Lillian.

anikin's "Tinkle Bell" - More snow! Very welcome for a guy who rarely gets to see it. I love the foreground detail of the rocks on the right side. In fact I think you could make an equally nice vertical format panoramic image from this negative using just the right third. I don't know what KRST is, but the blue tone is a great touch. Thank you Eugene.

hpulley
03-05-2011, 10:33 AM
I got Lillian's Snowing Again and Black Dog's moment on a winter afternoon last week. Thanks! My collection is growing displayed in the kitchen for all to see and we're enjoying every one.

Laurent
03-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I received Lilian's "Snowing again today" and Craig Cross's "Away for the winter" today. Two very nice landscapes, both with snow, which is something I really like.

Thanks !

johnnywalker
03-05-2011, 12:51 PM
I received Jake's (Black Dog's) Winter Afternoon yesterday. Nice shot of a young boy looking for something to pummel with a big stick!

sepiareverb
03-05-2011, 05:11 PM
This round's mystery card (I can't read the signature) titled "Whelock VT 2010".

That would be mine- being new to the exchange, I provided much less info than some it seems. Apologies for the mystery. The image is an unexplained bit of woodworking leaning up against an abandoned house in Wheelock Vermont. MP / 35/2.0 ASPH on FP4+ in HC-110b. Prints are on Ilford MGIV.

Three cards have found their way here as of Friday (I missed the Post Office today): Moopheus: Street Sweeper, Rudiger: Into the Light and a wintry 4x5 contact print by Lillian. I'm looking forward to having that little snow on the ground again.

I'm loving these little surprises in the P.O. Box!

Laurent
03-06-2011, 01:15 AM
That would be mine- being new to the exchange, I provided much less info than some it seems. Apologies for the mystery. The image is an unexplained bit of woodworking leaning up against an abandoned house in Wheelock Vermont. MP / 35/2.0 ASPH on FP4+ in HC-110b. Prints are on Ilford MGIV.

Three cards have found their way here as of Friday (I missed the Post Office today): Moopheus: Street Sweeper, Rudiger: Into the Light and a wintry 4x5 contact print by Lillian. I'm looking forward to having that little snow on the ground again.

I'm loving these little surprises in the P.O. Box!

Thanks ! So your card is officially arrived :D !

ozphoto
03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Ruediger's low angle image and Sly's snow scene have found their way to Bangkok. Another two to add to the impromptu coffee shop gallery board. :)

BirgerA
03-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Hello again.

Received BoxBrownies trigpoint today, wonderful light across the top surface.
"Away for the Winter" by Craig Cross came in last Saturday.

Thanks

kraker
03-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Two more cards received:

Sly, snowing again today, lovely winter mood shot. Triggered by an earlier comment I too had a look at this photo through the loupe, there's a lot of detail indeed. Lillian, thanks also for the myriad of stamps. If only we had such a wide choice of stamps over here... (In other words: I'm afraid I won't be able to return the favour...)
anikin, Hood river. Another winter scene. This is something special. The scenery, the shot; both nice, but then there is the toning. Now, that is something extraordinary indeed. I just keep looking at it. I haven't seen such tones before. Thanks.

I (finally) decided on a negative, and managed to print my cards last weekend. I hope to write and address them within the coming week, get some of those boring stamps we have here, and send them out.

Moopheus
03-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Some more arrivals--HPulley's nicely grainy Night clings, Ignatiu5's Spires, Anikin's Tinkle Bell and sly's snow scene. Snow scenes look really nice when they're not your front yard. BoxBownie's Trig point, and Kevin's frozen flowers.