PDA

View Full Version : Artisan Emulsions - Silver Gelatin in Montana

dwross
02-14-2011, 01:53 PM
I am delighted to be teaching silver gelatin emulsion making at the Photographers' Formulary in Montana this June. Week One is learning to make and use a ClBr contact printing paper, along with demonstrations of semi-glossy baryta paper making and silvergum printing. Week Two is dry plate and handcoated film -- everything from making the materials, to camera operation, exposure, and processing.

The courses are designed to be taken separately or together.

The beauty of the Formulary workshops is their intensive, immersive environment. For a full week (or two) participants live the subject -- able to work from first thing in the morning to last thing at night (but I promise to schedule afternoon nap time :) ). The Formulary is in Montana's Swan Valley. Gorgeous location. The accommodations are first rate and the food alone is worth the trip!

An added perk of PF is that you can purchase on site all the chemicals and much of the equipment you need to get started making emulsions as soon as you get home.

I will make every effort to tailor each participant's workshop experience to fit individual needs and interests. We're going to have a great time!

Denise Ross
www.workshopsinmt.com
www.thelightfarm.com

Athiril
02-14-2011, 02:10 PM
:(

All the good stuff is going on in the U.S.

dwross
02-15-2011, 12:46 PM
I'd love to do a workshop in Australia. A plane ticket, a nice B&B all lined up, a few students at an educational forum... (Well, a girl can dream :))

I think Ron agrees with me about Australia. Maybe you could send for both of us :laugh:.

Vaughn
02-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Denise, let's make it a group trip to Oz -- I'll teach carbon printing!

It sounds like a great set-up in Montana. And I know the participants are in for an incredible learning experience. I am sooooo tempted! Early of late June?

dwross
02-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Alright, then. It's settled. Carbon and silver Australia-ho! Plus egg whites, Prussian blue, and we can't forget the various precious metals. Gotta love 'living history' photography!

Seriously, though, dry plate printed on carbon is a natural. I'd love to see what you could do with the combination. June 12-17. Hope to see you there :).

Vaughn
02-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Dang -- those dates are for Week Two (dry plates), I assume. The boys "graduate" from middle school that week (June 16th). I was hoping for a week later -- I'd bring the boys up, leave them at my sister's in Spokane for the week and zip over for the workshop.

I was even thinking of bringing some carbon tissue along and making a couple carbons from the dry plate negs. Well, it was a grand idea, anyway.

Vaughn

jford
02-16-2011, 12:49 AM
Arthril, nothing here takes your fancy: http://www.goldstreetstudios.com.au/Workshops/workshoplist.htm

Plenty of good stuff in Oz.

J.

dwross
02-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Vaughn,

You know my philosophy of kids: first, last, always! Middle school graduation -- hard to believe. High school boys, even harder. Congratulations! Find some time this summer to run up Hwy 101 and we'll spend a day or two printing carbon with dry plates and artisan film. After the success I had with the one plate at your workshop, I'm very interested in pushing the possibilities.

J,

Great set of workshops! Thanks for posting the link. Although...handmade silver gelatin paper and dry plate/film are conspicuously lacking...(hint, hint, nudge, nudge :))

studiocarter
03-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Montana is so far from Pittsburgh; how about teaching in Rochester? I can get there no problem.
Michael
PS, I'm still dreaming of a long ride on my motorcycle

Kirk Keyes
03-27-2011, 11:47 PM
You can fly into Butte, Missoula, or even White Fish, MT, or take Amtrak to White Fish (about 50 miles away from the Formulary) if you don't want to drive it.

studiocarter
03-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Amtrak, there's a thought. I'll have to look into that.

Photo Engineer
03-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Montana is so far from Pittsburgh; how about teaching in Rochester? I can get there no problem.
Michael
PS, I'm still dreaming of a long ride on my motorcycle

Well, we are 300 miles from good old Pittsburgh and you missed our Feb. workshop at GEH. We have another planned for Sept.

Easy riding. Just about 5 - 6 hours depending on the number of pit stops. A motorcycle can do it just fine I'm told. :D I wouldn't do it though! I would drive.

PE

studiocarter
03-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Sorry I missed it.
300 miles is no sweat I love to ride and will go up there just to look around when the weather warms up some.

Photo Engineer
03-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Come visit! :D

PE

Kirk Keyes
04-01-2011, 11:13 PM
For those interested in flying or Amtraking up to the Photographers Formulary, I believe that the Formulary can arrange pick up and drop off. Contact the Formulary for more info.

wildbillbugman
04-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Kirk,
Will they pick me up and drop me off at San Bernardino,CA? No, I won't be attending Denise's Workshop. Not that I don't have a lot to learn from her. I just have another Workshop at The Formulary that I wanna attend.

Bill