PDA

View Full Version : Favorite macro lens for canon Ef mount?

Heidia
02-21-2011, 08:33 AM
I currently have the 60mm canon on my digital. I LOVE this lens. It is amazing. It is Ef-s so will not work on my ElanII. :( What is your favorite EF lens for canon slr?

Jeff Kubach
02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
While I don't have the newer Canon, I do love my Canon 100 FD lens.

Jeff

moki
02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
It depends on what kind of macro you like. The 100mm is great for insects while a shorter focal length may be more useful for other situations. None of the Canon-made lenses has any real disadvantages except the price.

I currently have the Tamron 60mm/2 DiII which is also made for APS-size sensors, but only shows vignetting when focused to large distances. It's great for it's price, but not ideal for 35mm film cameras since it doesn't go to 1:1 with the larger negative - not the right thing for taking pictures of insects' eyes, but good enough for flowers or tabletop macros. It's main advantage is the big aperture and great sharpness from f/3,5 upwards. My personal recommondation for everyone who uses both the digital and analog EOS-system.

Also, Yay for Elan II(e)! Love the camera :)

Heidia
02-22-2011, 06:28 AM
:) Thanks for the info!

For macro, I am always at 1:1. I mostly photog snowflakes and frost and water drops. :) So, yeah, I want that 1:1. :)

kraker
02-22-2011, 07:01 AM
I own only one macro lens, so I guess that has to be my favourite: the 100mm EF (the "regular" 2.8 USM, no L, no IS). The added bonus is that it's nice as a "normal" 100mm lens as well. The same (mutatis mutandis) is probably true for the 50mm, but since I had a 50mm prime already, I thought this was a better addition to my set. I haven't really looked at the 180mm or the very specific MP-E 65 (if 1:1 is the minimum you want).

DWThomas
02-22-2011, 08:53 AM
I don't own one (yet) but I have read many favorable reviews of the Tamron 90 mm macro for EF mount which is a little easier on the wallet. There is now an IS version which costs more and may or may not be as good optically.

ntenny
02-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I own only one macro lens, so I guess that has to be my favourite: the 100mm EF (the "regular" 2.8 USM, no L, no IS). The added bonus is that it's nice as a "normal" 100mm lens as well.

I agree---I've got the same lens (the non-USM version; the optics are the same) and I absolutely love it. I use it mainly for bug hunting; snowflakes and water drops don't run away so easily, so it ought to work even better for the OP. :-)

Get it together with the Kenko extension tube set and you can really go overboard with magnification.

The same (mutatis mutandis) is probably true for the 50mm, but since I had a 50mm prime already, I thought this was a better addition to my set.

I got the 50/2.5 "compact-macro" a few years ago and got some good use out of it; I still think it's a sharper lens than the 50/1.8 (which itself is quite decent), but it's limited as a macro lens because of close working distances and the limitation to 1:2, and a bit limited as a general-purpose lens by its antiquated autofocus (and awkward ergonomics for manual focus). It's an excellent compromise lens, but I don't think it's a huge winner as a *dedicated* macro.

-NT

T-grain
02-26-2011, 03:49 PM
I have a "dedicated system" for macro: schneider componon-s 80/4 (enlarger lens)+M39-EF adapter+chinese bellows+EOS 50E(bought also the camera since it was dirty cheap)-everything put together was about 200 euros and it works amazingly well! never wished again to own a "proper" macro lens!

Ian Grant
02-26-2011, 03:52 PM
90mm Tamron, it's superb. As is an Adaptal lens the mount means sweeet FA :)

Ian

engineerchris
02-26-2011, 04:46 PM
I have the Tamron 90mm 2.8. I bought it mostly for shooting on my 5d mkii, but it now lives on my Elan IIe in the passenger seat of my car. The autofocus feels a little janky compared to my USM lenses, but I find the manual focus far easier to use than the canon flavor. In all, I think it is probably one of the best values for sharpness in any modern EF mount.

tnabbott
04-04-2011, 12:50 AM
180L.

2F/2F
04-04-2011, 01:01 AM
100mm 2.8 is my favorite. The one I borrow from time to time from a friend is not the IS version. It's a great lens, for macro shooting or otherwise. I use it for weddings all the time.

That being said, I actually used the 50mm compact macro professionally every day for years. I've made more income with that lens than any other, by far. It almost never disappointed – only in its inability to focus super-duper closely from time to time. In those cases, I just backed off and cropped. Big deal for the small shots I needed in the end. I just switched the camera to large jpeg instead of small jpeg for those few and far between shots.

For FD, I like the lens of the same name. Not sure if it is the same optically as the EF version.

You can also adapt many old lenses to your camera. Nikon and Pentax, for example. There are some great manual focus choices for very reasonable prices out there, such as the Nikkor 55mm (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55f28ais.htm).

NDP_2010
05-16-2011, 10:25 AM
I currently have the 60mm canon on my digital. I LOVE this lens. It is amazing. It is Ef-s so will not work on my ElanII. :( What is your favorite EF lens for canon slr?

I dont know if this has been suggested to you before, but you could try using a small extension tube + your 60mm macro on your film camera. I have used the 60mm macro + 68mm kenko extension tubes with canon eos 300 with relatively good success, that is the lens mounted onto the camera :laugh:
If you use say 12mm extension tube, you may still be able to go to 1:3 for bigger stuff. From memory when 68mm kenkos are mounted on the 60mm macro the magnification goes from 1x to 2.5x using the focus ring.

My favourite macro lens for ef is the mpe65mm. Great for close ups, however I do miss not having an infinity focusing macro lens.

here are some shots with mpe65mm on eos 300.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/Natural_Defence_Plant2/film/V700_218a.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/Natural_Defence_Plant2/film/V700_215a.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/Natural_Defence_Plant2/film/V700_198a.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/Natural_Defence_Plant2/film/V700_202a.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/Natural_Defence_Plant2/film/V700_205-1.jpg

ignore the grain, I pushed fp4125 to 800 :blink:

Jeff Kubach
06-13-2011, 04:22 PM
I love those insect pictures!

Jeff

michellem
06-13-2011, 05:11 PM
I have the Canon 100mm 2.8L Macro IS and it does not leave my body. It's an incredible lens. Fastest, sharpest, and lightest lens I have ever owned. I made the jump from the 60mm EFS Macro to the 100mm 2.8L and the difference is incredible. The 1:1 on the 100mm is unreal, which you mentioned is what you want to use it for. Personally, I use it for all my portraiture (only thing I'm shooting digitally) and it's perfect. If you have the money, go for the 100mm, you will not regret it.

jimkuykendall
01-09-2012, 10:04 AM
I purchased a Sigma 105 Macro several years ago for my Canon. It's not the EF in terms of quality, but has proven an asset where I need a closeup in an industrial application. It appears to have travelled well in my vehicle despite the off-road construction sites I've had to visit. Fracture and concrete failure analysis in the field can be a bit rough on equipment.
NDP_ 2010 love those up close and personal of the insects! You may have given me a way to expand my horizons!

EASmithV
01-24-2012, 11:43 PM
55mm micro Nikkor with canon adaptor

Tim Gray
01-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Back when I shot digital and had a macro lens, I had the 100mm 2.8 USM. Not the newer IS version. I was happy with it.

NDP - awesome shots.

princessexpo
02-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I totally love Canon 100 FD lens.
Perfect!

rockpaperscissorsph.com