PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition - Traces Of The Real - Hugh McCabe

Pages : [1] 2

hughitb
03-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Hey All.

My exhibition is going to be on next month in Dublin and I thought I might alert members here to it. The basic concept is that I take long exposure photographs from the balconies of music venues - opening the shutter at the start of the song and closing it at the end. For the last year I have been carting my 5x4 up and down the stairs of various places around town and finally I am getting around to showing the results in public. Some of you have seen some of these shots at our print showings already. Anyway, all the details are at the link below and I hope some of you can make it along.

http://tracesofthereal.com/exhibition-2011/

Hugh

ps. It should be pointed out that this exhibition is not entirely "apug-safe" if you know what I mean. While the images are shot on film they then go through a distasteful process about which we will say no more here. I am hoping I can be forgiven for this since quite a few of you here know me ;)

Fintan
03-24-2011, 03:14 AM
Have been following this project on your blog for a wee while and love it. Looking forward to seeing it Hugh, good luck.

Fintan

thefizz
03-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Great to see you getting to the finish line with this project Hugh, well done.

paulgallinule
03-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Best of luck Hugh, the few I saw last year looked exciting, I'll make it up one of the days that it's open, Paul.

hughitb
03-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks all ...

Peter - I'm not sure if it's the finish line. I'm kind of addicted to it now. It could just be the start :-)

Vincent Brady
03-25-2011, 08:00 AM
That's great news Hugh congratulations. I'll be sure to visit this when it opens. Your poster is most impressive..

vincent

hughitb
03-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Cheers Vincent. I can't take any credit for the poster as a friend of mine designed it for me ....

Invites to the opening will be forthcoming for you all ....

Colin Corneau
03-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Shouldn't the poster read "...long exposure photographs" instead of "song exposure photographs"..?

Or was that a deliberate play on words?

hughitb
03-30-2011, 04:39 AM
Yes, it is supposed to be "song exposure photographs" ... I'm inventing a new genre :-)

seoirse
04-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Congratulations Hugh !

I'm really looking forward to getting out to Fumbally to see the full exhibition when it opens.

Judging by the work you presented at the last print showing I'm sure the full compliment of images will be absolutely super.

You should feel very proud to have put this body of work together.

hughitb
04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
By the way, all of the Irish APUG gang (or any other APUGGers who happen to be in town) should consider themselves invited to the opening on Thursday at 6pm. I have email addresses for some of you and not others so please just consider this your invite ....

Fintan
04-18-2011, 04:04 PM
great show Hugh, thanks for the preview, looking forward to a book (hint hint!!)

Vincent Brady
04-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Great exhibition Hugh, the prints are most impressive and that gallery really suits them. I think I finally got a sense of what your project was about when walking around them today. Your presentation adds an extra impact them. Good luck with your sales.

hughitb
04-21-2011, 05:37 AM
Thanks very much to both of you and sorry I missed you the other day Vincent (and Eddie who turned up the same morning).

Today is the last day!

maarten m
04-21-2011, 05:47 AM
nice project!
makes me think of Sugimoto's "Theaters":
http://www.medienkunstnetz.de/works/theaters/images/3/

mm

hughitb
04-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Oh absolutely! Sugimoto's work was the direct inspiration i.e. what would happen if I did this at a gig?

maarten m
04-21-2011, 06:28 AM
i love the results! i'm working on a similar project that involves a dancer ;)

mm

hughitb
04-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Sounds interesting. Have you seen this?

The Apparitions by R J Muna

thefizz
04-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Today is the last day!

I was in town yesterday but didn't have enough time to visit the exhibition. I had the intention of seeing it next week when I had more time but didn't realise it was finishing today :(

hughitb
05-03-2011, 12:01 PM
You all have a second chance to see this as the exhibition moves to The Workmans Club in Temple Bar from this Thursday. Will be on there until almost the end of July. Open each day except Mondays from 5pm onwards. Full details here:

http://tracesofthereal.com/exhibition-2011-part-2/