PDA

View Full Version : Southeast area get together?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

glbeas
04-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi, I might be interested in hanging out for a while with some people who won't ask me why I have not thought of using a dig... (You know... ) camera.

I'm located near Birmingham... So I could do a day trip.

You might not need to go far. My wife and I are interested in doing the Sloss Furnaces, we are told they are a good afternoon shoot for the lighting. May be a few weekends before we can get away though, got a wedding to shoot next weekend and no telling what the dayjob will throw at us until all the annual reports are printed for the customers.

Bill Mobbs
04-15-2005, 09:16 PM
You might not need to go far. My wife and I are interested in doing the Sloss Furnaces, we are told they are a good afternoon shoot for the lighting. May be a few weekends before we can get away though, got a wedding to shoot next weekend and no telling what the dayjob will throw at us until all the annual reports are printed for the customers.

You know, I have never been to Sloss Furnaces to make pictures. I was in there about forty years ago... When steele was still being made! A lot of smoke, soot, and heat! Let me know when you are coming over, I have heard its a real cool place now. :cool:

ScottH
04-22-2005, 01:23 PM
I'd be very interested in this one as well. I've heard about the furnaces before, from Gary among others. I'm gonna do a quick search on them as well. -- For the forseeable future, my Saturdays are unavailable for a day trip, but just about any Sun. will do with a little notice. Perhaps one of the May Sunday's between Mother's Day and Memorial weekend? I wouldn't expect the heat to be too bad at that time either.

Digidurst
04-22-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm in Rock Hill, SC and wouldn't mind a get together.

p.s. Where is Rocktown?

glbeas
04-22-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm in Rock Hill, SC and wouldn't mind a get together.

p.s. Where is Rocktown?

Check out this thread
http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10344&page=2&pp=10

glbeas
04-22-2005, 04:27 PM
I'd be very interested in this one as well. I've heard about the furnaces before, from Gary among others. I'm gonna do a quick search on them as well. -- For the forseeable future, my Saturdays are unavailable for a day trip, but just about any Sun. will do with a little notice. Perhaps one of the May Sunday's between Mother's Day and Memorial weekend? I wouldn't expect the heat to be too bad at that time either.

Well, May 8th is out for me, our first wedding anniversary! A Sunday shoot sounds like the best way to go for everyone so lets chime in with any other preferences, then we can get down to a real "when" to go.

Bill Mobbs
04-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Well, May 8th is out for me, our first wedding anniversary! A Sunday shoot sounds like the best way to go for everyone so lets chime in with any other preferences, then we can get down to a real "when" to go.

I'm pretty busy on Sundays with my church work, but I might be able to make a few hours in the early afternoon. You guys pick a date, and I will really try hard to be there. The road trip for me is just a few minutes!

ScottH
04-23-2005, 10:00 PM
So we're looking at either Sunday 15th, or 22nd? Meeting in the general area at some point mid-afternoon would still give us several hours of good shooting - and based on the last outing, they'll go fast. How do either of those times sound?
Scott

glbeas
04-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Either one will be fine with us. Toss a coins and see which day will work.:)

Bill Mobbs
04-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Either one will be fine with us. Toss a coins and see which day will work.:)

Heads or tails... I'll try to make it over there.

Thanks,

Bill

ScottH
04-25-2005, 08:36 AM
In that case maybe plan for the 15th, and in the event of anticipated bad weather, we'll have a back-up for the following weekend. I'll pencil it in.
Scott

Bill Mobbs
04-25-2005, 01:02 PM
OK... May 15th or if we have to go to plan "B" then the next weekend. Pencil here too.

glbeas
04-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Okay, it's on my calendar!

Digidurst
04-25-2005, 06:30 PM
So we're looking at either Sunday 15th, or 22nd? Meeting in the general area at some point mid-afternoon would still give us several hours of good shooting - and based on the last outing, they'll go fast. How do either of those times sound?
Scott

Where is the 'general area'? :)

glbeas
04-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Where is the 'general area'? :)

I would say the best place to meet would be in the parking area for the Furnaces. Personally I'd rather be there just after lunch. If someone close by could check out the area and find a decent place to eat maybe we could meet there?

Digidurst
04-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Are you talking about the Sloss Furnaces in Alabama (http://www.stateparks.com/sloss_furnaces.html) ?

glbeas
04-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Are you talking about the Sloss Furnaces in Alabama (http://www.stateparks.com/sloss_furnaces.html) ?

Fer shure!

a map:
http://www.frightfurnace.com/images/directions%20map%201.jpg

Bill Mobbs
04-25-2005, 09:49 PM
I would say the best place to meet would be in the parking area for the Furnaces. Personally I'd rather be there just after lunch. If someone close by could check out the area and find a decent place to eat maybe we could meet there?

I'll try to check on it in the next few days. What kind of "decent place to eat are we thinking of? Burgers, Mexican, fast food, sea food, bar-b-que?

The Sloss furnaces web site says :
Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday 10am to 4pm; Sunday 12 to 4pm; Closed Mondays
Admission: Free!

http://www.slossfurnaces.com/media/html/home/sloss_story.php

Digidurst
04-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Please understand that it's out of sher ignorance (never been to Alabama much less 'the Furnaces) that I'm asking this but why was this location chosen? What sort of photographic opportunities will there be?

Thanks for the education :)

ScottH
04-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi Digi, take a look at the link in the comments above. A search engine under Sloss Furnaces will give info as well. For the most part it's an abandonded industrial site, on a huge scale. I've never been, and don't really have any specific expectations, which makes it a bit fun.

As to the hours of operation, seems we'll want to shoot for no later than 1:00 to be inside and setting up to get 3 hours of shooting in. If we get in as they open I'd be OK with that too... So far as food goes, burgers, bbq, mexican, chinese, just something a step up from fast food works for me.