PDA

View Full Version : Southeast area get together?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

glbeas
04-26-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm told by folks from the Southeastern Photo Society who've been there if you ask nicely they will let you stay after closing time to shoot in the fading light. We shall see!

Doug Bennett
04-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Please understand that it's out of sher ignorance (never been to Alabama much less 'the Furnaces) that I'm asking this but why was this location chosen? What sort of photographic opportunities will there be?

Thanks for the education :)

The attached shot is from Sloss (man, my scanner sucks:() . Lots of cool shapes and textures there, lots of decay.

As I told Gary off-post, I wouldn't let rain keep me away. In fact, it might be a plus.

I hope to join ya'll there.

Doug Bennett
04-28-2005, 07:40 PM
As to food: there are a lot of great choices within 10-15 minutes of Sloss. I'm there frequently on business, and for me, B-ham is all about barbecue.

Bill Mobbs
04-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner... Had a little "run in" with the medicos at the hospital... OK now. Sloss furnace in naturally in an industrial area of town, but within 20 minutes is just about every kind of food place. If its barbeque you crave there are a number of locations of "Jim and Nicks". They are hard to top. I'm usually a brown bag kind of guy, but I'll meet you anywhere you like.

glbeas
04-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Bill, what's your take in this, since you're the local guy? Think one of these places will be a good drop in for us out of towners to meet and do intros before the shoot? It would need to be a place where you could push a few tables together if necessary. Some places are all immoveable booths and make it hard for a group to sit and chat. Another helpful quality is to be easy to find coming off the freeway.

Bill Mobbs
04-29-2005, 11:17 PM
The sloss location is just about down town Birmingham off 1st ave North. Most of the eating places 20 minutes are in the down town area too. Easy to get to and near the Sloss furnace, but maybe hard to find for first time out of towners. Maybe for those who have never been here before we might consider meeting at Sloss parking lot, then go in mass to an eatery and then return. Another option might be to meet at an interstate exit coming in to town that would be easy to find have lunch there then go into the Sloss area. Everyone coming here I think has to arrive I59, I20, or I65, so we could pick something easy to find on one of these Interstates and meet there.
Doug in Huntsville is probably as familiar will Birmingham as I am and has been to Sloss before, so he may have ideas from his times before.

Doug Bennett
05-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Golden Rule BBQ (http://www.goldenrulebbq.com/locations/irondale/) in Irondale would be handy for folks coming in from Atlanta on I-20. It's right off the interstate. The exit for Sloss, 1st Ave. North, is just a couple of miles on down the road.

glbeas
05-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Sounds like you have something there Doug. What do the rest of you folks planning on coming think of this plan?

ScottH
05-02-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm ready for ribs...

Bill Mobbs
05-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Golden Rule BBQ (http://www.goldenrulebbq.com/locations/irondale/) in Irondale would be handy for folks coming in from Atlanta on I-20. It's right off the interstate. The exit for Sloss, 1st Ave. North, is just a couple of miles on down the road.

That's a great idea Doug! I'll sure try to be there.

Bill

glbeas
05-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Ok thats great! Now we need the meet time. Do you think about 11:00 would be good? Gives us time to eat, then be at the Furnaces by 12:30 or so.

Bill Mobbs
05-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Sounds OK by me.

ScottH
05-12-2005, 03:40 PM
AAaarrrrggghhhhh!!!.... As of 3:30 today (thurs) it would appear that I'll not be able to attend on Sunday. Got some family stuff goin' on. I'm very bummed.

glbeas
05-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Thats awful Scott! Maybe you could just bring 'em all with you?

BTW we'll have room for another person to ride with us if anyone in the area of Roswell is going.

glbeas
05-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Lets see, we have so far Bill Mobbs, Doug Bennett, Jeff Dilcher, Mark Craig (kayakerguy) and his girlfriend, my wife Dale, stepson Kevin Grogan and me so far. Anyone else plan on being there?

glbeas
05-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Expedition was a success! We had Bill Mobbs, Doug Bennett and I as the APUG contingent with my wife and Gerald Straw rounding out the group. Gerald is an excellent photography instructor I met at some local camera club meets and have known for several years. I'm trying to get him to join the forums, might liven things up a little.

Doug shot a group picture as we were getting ready to leave, so we have that to look forward to as well as all the various shots we all took. Thats a fascinating place!

Doug Bennett
05-16-2005, 09:48 AM
A big tip of the hat to Gary for pulling this together. It was indeed a fun trip, the company was excellent, and the light was just right.

If any of you APUGers are ever passing through Birmingham, Sloss Furnaces is a must, especially for B&W shooters.

ScottH
05-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Looking forward to seeing the images. Still jealous I had to back out on this one...

JeffD
05-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Looking forward to seeing the images. Still jealous I had to back out on this one...

Me too. I'll try and make the next trip, Gary. If you guys are able to post something to the gallery, let us know in this thread! I am really curious to see what you guys photographed...

glbeas
05-17-2005, 09:10 PM
I souped the negs from the 8x10 last night, I got some interesting images. If they print as good as they look....