PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering, May 6-8, 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

jp80874
03-31-2011, 02:59 PM
It is time to get out shooting film, come together seeing winter’s work, climbing ledges, walking the OH & Erie Canal, photographing waterfalls and having group fun at a gathering of like minded friends and hopefully new faces.

My wife Dolly, the Girls two blond lady Labrador Retrievers and I would like to invite you to our home for a photography gathering starting about 5 PM Friday, May 6th, Saturday, May 7th and Sunday, May 8th. We have been doing this, 5-6 times a year, for about three years with attendance ranging from 10-25 photographers. It has been a blast for us. I hope you have enjoyed it as much. For more information about the flavor of these events read the threads on earlier "NE OH Gathering."
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum174/forum174/forum174/forum174/forum61/7...16-2010-a.html
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum174/forum174/forum174/forum174/forum174/...18-2010-a.html

Lee L has built a Google mapbook with most of our previously visited locations. I hope he will be kind enough to post a link to access his very helpful work.

The following is boiler plate based on earlier experiences.
Available options we have enjoyed before will be in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park,
http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm

Within five miles:
Blue Hen Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/bluehen.shtml
Buttermilk Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/buttermilkCUVA.shtml
Brandywine Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/brandywine.shtml
Virginia Kendall Ledges
http://hikingohioparks.com/virginia-...hio-parks.html
Everett Road Covered Bridge
http://www.nps.gov/cuva/historycultu...red-bridge.htm
Maps http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/maps.htm
Several new visitors were interested in the OH Turnpike bridge over the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the three 19th century churches in the scenic little town of Peninsula, OH.

If nature/landscape is not your thing, Cleveland, the flats, where it is difficult to take a picture with less than three bridges, and five is more likely, awaits you.

The event will be in Bath, Ohio, between Cleveland and Akron, five miles south of the Ohio Turnpike and Route I-77, meeting at a private home, two miles from the edge of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. For a rough estimate of distance use zip 44286 in Mapquest.com. If some visitors want to camp by the garden, they are most welcome. Others can stay at local motels. The Hampton Inn, Richfield, OH (1 800 Hampton) at the OH Turnpike entrance and intersection with I-77, about five miles away is the most popular.

Come as early as Friday, 5:00 PM. We usually have coffee & rolls each morning or go out to breakfast at 10:00 AM to allow for early shooters and late sleepers. We gather again about 5:00 PM to show prints, tell lies and go out to dinner. Sunset shooting is available, but previously showing prints and telling stories prevailed. While you are here the Lady Labradors will entertain with their splashing stick routines. One regular will try to convince you that bacon ice cream is a bit of heaven. There is an orchard-home made ice cream business near by.

When we learn how many are coming we can order a porta potty if there are enough to pay for it by contribution ($112). Our home stumbles through on an ancient septic system and well so we must ask you to endure this porta potty inconvenience.

We are trying to have a loose organizational shell under which all cats may be comfortably herded. The plan will evolve until the majority is happy and the protesters fall asleep.

All film shooters are welcome. Who is interested in coming? What information is needed?

If you have not been here before please PM me with name, address, phone, email and emergency contact in case you do something you shouldn’t have. I will return with directions.

Welcome to the Powers’ house.
Hosts, John & Dolly Powers
Labradors: Cindy and Savannah

Lee L
03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
And here is the website John referred to:

https://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/

It has maps for places we typically visit for photographing and eating, for hotels, etc, as well as links to further pertinent info, like weather. If you want me to add a place, just let me know.

Thanks again to John, Dolly, Cindy, and Savannah for their ongoing hospitality, and offering a place for all of us to get together.

There is a rumor in the air that John is considering Australian Shepherds and/or Border Collies for cat (I mean photographer) herding duties. But I don't believe that for a minute.

Lee

jp80874
03-31-2011, 04:24 PM
There is a rumor in the air that John is considering Australian Shepherds and/or Border Collies for cat (I mean photographer) herding duties. But I don't believe that for a minute.

Lee

More on the order of lions and tigers I think. I imagine anyone trying to herd this group is in for a chore. I went with the flow many events ago.

Thanks Lee.

John

Jeff Bannow
03-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Eva & I will be there, and hopefully will be bringing a couple of people with us as well.

jp80874
03-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Great Jeff. It will be wonderful to see you and Eva again and hopefully Daniel and Silke. Do you plan to camp or go motel? Love that new camping trailer.

Thank you again for hosting in Detroit this winter. I really enjoyed being a guest, meeting new people and seeing a whole new world of Detroit Disassembled. Boy was the food good. I have got to find places that around here.

John

jp80874
03-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Naturally we always hope for good weather, full sun, long shadows all day long. This being NE OH we also always try for a backup plan. I saw this excellent, but small, photography show earlier this week. Very good.

Akron Art Museum
http://www.akronartmuseum.org/exhibitions/details.php?unid=1870

"All-Star Jazz: The Photographs of Herman Leonard
March 5, 2011 - July 10, 2011

Often credited with creating the visual archetype of the jazz musician, Herman Leonard photographed his subjects during performances, rehearsals, recording sessions and backstage gatherings to create a visual diary of post-war jazz. He had no idea that his images of jazz musicians would someday be considered documents of historic significance, cataloging the development of one of America's greatest art forms. All-Star Jazz presents some of Leonard’s finest photographs and offers an intimate view of countless jazz legends and the nocturnal world in which they thrived.

"This exhibition is drawn primarily from the collection of the Akron Art Museum, which owns a marvelous cross-section of Leonard's work thanks to generous gifts of photographs from Eric Alterman, Robin Krasny and George Stephanopoulos. In addition, work from a private Akron collection will be included."

There is also a much larger MC Escher show going on at the same time, same building.
http://www.akronartmuseum.org/exhibitions/details.php?unid=1761

Free parking on the weekend, a small entree fee to the museum.

Adult: $7
Student (with valid ID): $5
Senior (65+): $5

John

djkloss
03-31-2011, 11:38 PM
I put it on my calendar. don't know yet though.
I got one of my pieces in the Erie Art Museum Spring Show - a big to-do in Erie. It's juried too! Only cost me $500 for the print & frame. (archival pigment print from a drum scan to 16x24 from 35mm negative) haven't been shooting much this year.

jp80874
04-01-2011, 02:05 AM
Dolly and I are proud of you Dorothy. Great accomplishment.

I hope you can make it to the event. Please bring the picture if the exhibit is done by then.

There is plenty of time for new pictures between now and May. On the other hand if that doesn't happen you are pretty enjoyable even without pictures.

Dolly & John

mjs
04-01-2011, 10:56 AM
So I was printing some negatives from last year's adventure and thinking how it would be nice to be back there and here you are, volunteering to herd cats again! So I made my reservation at the Super 8. Thanks for the invite and see you in May!

Mike Sherck

jp80874
04-01-2011, 12:48 PM
So I was printing some negatives from last year's adventure and thinking how it would be nice to be back there and here you are, volunteering to herd cats again! So I made my reservation at the Super 8. Thanks for the invite and see you in May!

Mike Sherck

Thanks Mike. Glad you are coming. As mentioned before Dolly and I started having these gatherings as a direct result of having had a wonderful time at two earlier Bill Schwab events. We wanted to be sure we did not have a date conflict with his event this year.

John

daleeman
04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Just put it on my schedule. This would be a celebration trip for me. I take my final on the 4th of may for my last class in my Marketing Degree from Park Univ. Yes this old hippie will finally granulate Magda Cum Burnout.

Busy month. Shoot at John's first weekend, then Hamvention, and take my Technician's class license test, hope Lee can come down. Leica Historical society Spring Shoot in Dayton, I'm a tour guide and among other things arranged a showing of Jane Reece's photographs from the early 1900s and arranged some of the rarest Leica cameras to come to Dayton too. Then the official granulation party the last weekend. AND Sue is all over the place doing birding. Poor cats and dog will just die of starvation in May unless they can learn to operate a can opener by then.

So I hope to be there. It is the only event I could let slide, but I just love seeing all you guys to much to miss a chance to come. Might be a VERY early drive up Saturday to do some shooting then spend the night Sat and return after shooting on Sunday and breakfast.... we will see.

(That Other ) Lee

jp80874
04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
It is the only event I could let slide,
(That Other ) Lee

Who said you could let this one slide? Did you read those papers we had you sign? You are in, in, in. No back sliding.

Congratulations on all the other very busy stuff.

Welcome back.

John & Dolly

jpreston
04-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Hi John,

I'm not 100% sure I can make it to the gathering, but I'd sure like to try. I've read some of the threads from the other gatherings and would really love to join the group. I've just gotten back into shooting film (RB 67 Pro S) and would really enjoy the company of other film shooters. I live in Marysville, OH and am probably about 3.5 hours away. So, if you are interested in a new, not so pretty face, I would love to meet you all.

If I'm able to make it I will probably just stay in the local hotel. Not much of a camper, but I do love coffee;)

Jeff

daleeman
04-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi John,

I'm not 100% sure I can make it to the gathering, but I'd sure like to try. I've read some of the threads from the other gatherings and would really love to join the group. I've just gotten back into shooting film (RB 67 Pro S) and would really enjoy the company of other film shooters. I live in Marysville, OH and am probably about 3.5 hours away. So, if you are interested in a new, not so pretty face, I would love to meet you all.

If I'm able to make it I will probably just stay in the local hotel. Not much of a camper, but I do love coffee;)

Jeff
Hi,

Hope you can make it. We have a lot of fun with John & Dolly and the twins. :munch:

Was it you that was thinking about going to Hocking Hills Frozen Film Shoot? My feeble brain thinks so. Look forward to meeting you. BTW, I am going to Hocking Hills again for 15-17 April. PM me for more information.

Lee

Dan Henderson
04-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Just put it on my schedule. This would be a celebration trip for me. I take my final on the 4th of may for my last class in my Marketing Degree from Park Univ. Yes this old hippie will finally granulate Magda Cum Burnout.

(That Other ) Lee

TAL: Congratulations on your accomplishment. Us old hippies managed to conserve a few brain cells, or else the docs are wrong and they really do regenerate! I am up to my neck in planning a long distance move so I won't be able to attend this time, but I will still be close enough for future ones. Oh, I finally got a chance to play with that 90 a little bit. I probably won't use it all that much, but when I need a short lens it will be great.
Best,
Dan

daleeman
04-04-2011, 08:29 AM
TAL: Congratulations on your accomplishment. Us old hippies managed to conserve a few brain cells, or else the docs are wrong and they really do regenerate! I am up to my neck in planning a long distance move so I won't be able to attend this time, but I will still be close enough for future ones. Oh, I finally got a chance to play with that 90 a little bit. I probably won't use it all that much, but when I need a short lens it will be great.
Best,
Dan

Hay Dan,
I hope you still find value in the 90mm. I've used the 50mm Hassy in trade about 6 times now. Hope to use it again next weekend if the warm weather holds and up at John's. I've got my I on a 6x17CM Shen Hao takes roll film and as it works out the best lens to use thon that is a 90mm HUH, one never knows...

Good luck with the move and thanks for the congrats.

Lee

jp80874
04-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Hi John,

Jeff

Jeff,

Welcome to the group. Glad you are a firm maybe on coming. The coffee awaits you and there is a pretty good chance of fun with this gang. Thanks for sending contact information.

John

jp80874
04-04-2011, 08:40 AM
TAL: I am up to my neck in planning a long distance move so I won't be able to attend this time, but I will still be close enough for future ones. Best,
Dan

We will miss you this time Dan. Just in case you change your mind we will keep a piece of camp site open for your arrival.

Brain cells? Am I supposed to have brain cells?

John

winger
04-04-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm really hoping to make it to this one. I'll probably have the little one in tow, but I'm determined to shoot, too. I'll likely stay at the Hampton Inn. It will all depend on hubby's schedule.

jp80874
04-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Bethe,

It will be super to see you and the munchkin again if scheduling allows. We missed you both last time.

John