PDA

View Full Version : 9x12 Help--Off the Rails

Punkinhed7
05-07-2011, 04:17 PM
This may be a dumb question, or perhaps I am just completely inept, but upon opening my mystery 9x12 (xenar in compur) today to take some shots I noticed that the front standard has come off the rails, and for the life of me, I can't get it back in--or rather, I can't get both sides in at the same time. Any help would be hugely appreciated. If it helps, here are some pics of the camera. Thanks again. Also, if anyone has any ideas as to the camera maker, I would be very interested--I have not been able to find any distinguishing marks on the camera body anywhere.

Two23
05-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Camera is likely from the 1920s, looking at the shutter. I don't think it's a common brand. The red bumbs (rollers?) on the wire framing guide are something I've not seen and might be a key way to ID. No idea how to get it back on the rails.

Kent in SD

Ole
05-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Use the focus knob to extend the front rail a little, then slide the front standard onto the rails from the gap that has now opened between the front rails and the housing.

No idea about the maker though.

Punkinhed7
05-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks Ole. I swear I had already tried that--as I read your response was trying the same technique on my Recomar 33 with the same problem, so not quite sure why I wouldn't have on the other camera. Problem solved. Now onto the Recomar...I can get it back on the rails by extending via the focus knob, but am unable to keep it on the rails if i want to close the camera because the shift knob hits the bracket on the right side, and it won't turn far enough to get the standard centered (red and white dots won't meet up). Any tips on that?

As for the mystery camera, here is some more info:

Kodak 9x12 holders (Pat. 1,933,823) do not fit the camera.
Neither does an Ica ground glass back.
My Recomar Kodachrome adapter does, however, fit, albeit somewhat grudgingly.
The holders that do fit measure ~95mm wide, with a ~2mm lip and triangular point/guide nub at the top.

Thanks again for your help.

Ole
05-07-2011, 05:22 PM
When in doubt, try "Universalfalz" holders. I have a similar camera, which is clearly marked "Rodenstock". But Rodenstock wasn't and isn't known as a camera producer, best guess is that someone else made a lot of cameras which were then marked (or not) for resale. No idea who, but they do tend to take Universalfalz holders - like (some) ICA, (some) Zeiss or (all) Voigtländer holders.

Oh - and Kodak holders don't fit any of my German 9x12cm plate cameras.