PDA

View Full Version : Agfa APX 100 & 400 120 Discontinued?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

rjr
09-29-2004, 07:03 PM
For example, Verhooven is one of them and he will be with the new board.

Some others have dedicated their personal wealth to the company (besides the money coming from external investors), after all it is a managment buyout...

photomc
09-29-2004, 08:29 PM
For example, Verhooven is one of them and he will be with the new board.

Some others have dedicated their personal wealth to the company (besides the money coming from external investors), after all it is a managment buyout...

Thanks for this post..I have been wondering when someone would point out that it was a management buyout!! Personally, I think that if they are serious (and they did put their own money on the line) that we may soon see Agfa as the STRONG film maker out of the shakeups that are occurring. They have a good product and many people love some current and older products. Let's think positive thoughts for a change and I for one will not be sorry if they do well. No bad wishes for Ilford or any of the other companies, but with two separate threads this week about NEW film cameras, why not have hope that film is alive and doing well...

Here's wishing you all your favorite emulsion/paper are here for a long, long time.

rjr
10-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Just returned from Photokina - no sad news about Rollfilm 120. They still make it.

Roman

Aggie
10-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks rjr, good to know the rumors are being corrected.

Ian Grant
10-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Just returned from Photokina - no sad news about Rollfilm 120. They still make it.

Roman

They no longer list it on their websites, maybe they are selling the remaining stock.

In this case there is a very similar film to APX100 available from Kodak unfortunately a stop slower their 50 ISO - Tmax 100, they recommend 50 ISO for best tonality. Having used APX100 & Tmax 100 for many years after initial zone system tests I found the same speed differance I have happily switched between the two getting images that sit perfectly alongside each other

rjr
10-04-2004, 06:57 PM
Ian,

not? What is this?

http://www.agfa.com/photo/products/professional/film/agfapan/

APX100 price is currently on an alltime low in Germany, I can get the stuff for less than 1,84EUR per roll in 120 - cheaper than anything but Fomapan100, even Lucky stuff is more expensive.

I could find no indication that production is discontinued, the fresh datasheets were on stock at the booth and that rumour isnīt even topic in the german community (including de.rec.fotografie and several fori). I spent the days in Cologne with someone who actually used to work for Agfa and he was in contact with his former colleagues - he had no clue nor indication from them.

If it is limited to the Netherlands I know who I may ask there and Iīll contact him immediatly. But I somewhat doubt there is any credibility to that.

Dean Williams
10-04-2004, 07:03 PM
"They no longer list it on their websites"

They still show it on their product webpages:

Here (http://www.agfa.com/photo/products/professional/film/agfapan/agfapan_100/)
and
Here (http://www.agfa.com/photo/products/professional/film/agfapan/agfapan_400/)

rjr
10-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Ehm. Too fast, too tired. You are right, there is no mentioning of type 120 on the website. But they donīt mention any format sizes on it.

Only if you download the spec sheet youīll see them listed.

The Email to the Netherlands is on the way and should be at least half en route. ;-)

I donīt give any rumour any credibility until I see a red rhombus right on top of the letter. <g>

Roman

bwfans
10-04-2004, 07:45 PM
I am afraid that the datasheet on the Agfa website does not mean much according to my experience with Agfa (i.e. their website). If you visit Agfa website frequently enough last few years, Agfa APX 25 datasheet was there MANY months after they killed the production of it. That PDF file for APX 25 was probably took off early 2003 or in 2002 from their website.

Right now after reading and searching all internet I can only find one place (photo.net) , one people posted the news. But he did give the source of this news. If anyone is in that country how about just call this guy to verify it?

If I have time to kill tomorrow I will call a few distributor friends here in USA to see if anyone knows. Though I don't even need to worry about it - already got enough Agfa 120 films lasting many years. The batch of Agfa 120 I bought have 2009 dating. Should be produced in 2004. If it is THE last batch and is part of the available stock, I am pretty lucky.

bwfans
10-04-2004, 09:38 PM
This technical data sheet in Agfa Hongkong's website still includes APX 25. Will they revive APX 25?

http://www.agfa.com.hk/ci/downloads/Agfa%20Range%20of%20Films%20(Professional).pdf

Sorry! Someone did not update the datasheet. This datasheet in Agfa's main website does not have APX 25 any more:

http://www.agfa.com/photo/pdf/products/F-PF-E4_en.pdf

Ian Grant
10-05-2004, 03:04 PM
"They no longer list it on their websites"

They still show it on their product webpages:

Here (http://www.agfa.com/photo/products/professional/film/agfapan/agfapan_100/)
and
Here (http://www.agfa.com/photo/products/professional/film/agfapan/agfapan_400/)
Well I don't dispute that.

It is quite possible that Agfa aren't importing it in the UK any more, if it is still being produced. See this link:
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0081M5

Also the Agfa Data sheet is over 14 months old

But I think there was a press article here about Agfa cutting their range still further, and I seem to remember that left just one flm in 120 which was a basic colour neg film.

Dean Williams
10-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Maybe it's time to put this to bed and have an end to all the rumors. I wrote Agfa yesterday. Here is text of my message:

"I keep hearing that your Black and White APX films in 120 format will be
discontued. Is this true? How long will it be in production?
Thank you
Dean Williams"

Here is the reply from Agfa as of today (10-05-04):

"Dear Mr Williams,

Thank you for your mail.
Agfa does not plan to discontinue the APX 120 films.

It is possible that certain products will no longer be sold in individual countries. This is
decided by the local Agfa sales organisations or representatives.

Best regards
bruno"

There. Take a breath and go make some Photographs!

dancqu
10-05-2004, 04:04 PM
I don't think I've heard any mention of Agfa's new high speed emulsion technology.
As I understand it they hold the patents. Perhaps they will soon be introducing
an entirely new line-up of films. I'd think they would be first, they holding
the patents. Dan

bwfans
10-05-2004, 04:07 PM
I called one of my friend that sells Agfa films here in USA today. He haven't heard of discontinuation of 120 films in USA yet.

(And he offered me tons of APX 120 and I rejected :). )

Aggie
10-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Thank You Dean!

Ian Grant
10-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks Dean, I rest my case the UK has never been a good market for Agfa, it's all Ilford mainly and Kodak for B&W film, although Agfa have a toe hold in the B&W paper market, coming 2nd to Ilford.

I've had problems recently as the no of Agfa stockists has dropped to the mainly mail order & online stores.

Ian

Dean Williams
10-05-2004, 05:17 PM
From what Bruno says, is seems that if you can't get the Agfa products in your region you need to talk it over with the rep. Jump on 'em like a duck on a June bug!!

Something else comes to mind here, Re: Agfa. Bruno answered my email in less than 24 hours. Maybe they're paying attention. Hopefully...

dancqu
10-06-2004, 04:21 AM
I don't think I've heard any mention of Agfa's new high speed emulsion technology.
As I understand it they hold the patents. Perhaps they will soon be introducing
an entirely new line-up of films. I'd think they would be first, they holding
the patents. Dan

I'm becoming discouraged. Still no mention. Somebody's uncle or
cousine or friend there of must be close to Agfa. Dan

rjr
10-06-2004, 01:30 PM
From what Bruno says, is seems that if you can't get the Agfa products in your region you need to talk it over with the rep. Jump on 'em like a duck on a June bug!!

I just got a reply from the late working Markus Ludwig, head of "Global Marketing BL Film".

120 is in production and will stay in production. With the new company starting from 01.11.2004 they are no plans to stop production of any kind of film or paper nor chemistry, but they will adjust in details - he told me that APX100 in 135/24 will be axed in favour of the large volume selling APX100 in 135/36.

He didnīt refer to local decisions on distributor level - but I guess they will sort them out once being independent and depending on the money.

Something else comes to mind here, Re: Agfa. Bruno answered my email in less than 24 hours. Maybe they're paying attention. Hopefully...

Here is was less than 36h - and going to the right guy on top level immediatly. Impressive.

Guess my next buy will be a big brick of APX100/120. ;-)

bwfans
10-06-2004, 04:17 PM
120 is in production and will stay in production. With the new company starting from 01.11.2004 they are no plans to stop production of any kind of film or paper nor chemistry,

Thanks rjr this is one very excellent news indeed, and for a while, only get bad news.

Only wish Ilford bw film and paper will have a good buyer - that will keep the production of the films, even the profit is slim.