PDA

View Full Version : Telegraph: Traditional camera film makes a come back

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

bblhed
08-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Something that I have seen mentioned a few times in this thread was the "overpriced" LOMO film that someone could get anywhere. Well, I find that to be somewhat true, but I have also seen that LOMO has film that I can't find from any other source, and if I can get it please let me know where.

LOMO is selling "Red Scale" film that gives a reddish tint to the photos taken with it. While some might look at this film and say so what, or that looks terrible I saw photos taken with this film and knew what to use this film for. This red scale film is actually underwater film that will give nice colors when shot underwater with an underwater camera. I didn't even know that anyone was making underwater film any longer, so tell me where I can get underwater film besides from LOMO.

michaelbsc
08-01-2011, 12:12 PM
...I didn't even know that anyone was making underwater film any longer, so tell me where I can get underwater film besides from LOMO.

It isn't underwater film. There isn't any "underwater" film.

It is just film loaded into the cassette backwards. Buy yourself a cheap bulk loader on eBay and load it backwards yourself.

Or if you don't want to buy a bulk loader just carefully roll it from one cassette to another such that it rolls into the target cassette with the emulsion facing outward.

Just Google "make red scale film" and there are a bunch of hits.

thegman
08-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I was under the impression that redscale film is simply regular C41 colour film flipped around in the canister, so that it loads the opposite way round. This means (as I understand it), the red layer(s) get more light than they normally would, and the picture comes out looking quite red.

You can check out Redbird by Rollei too, for a rescale film. However, in the UK, Fototo does 3 rolls of Redscale for less than 10, which is OK with me.

Lomography themselves sell Kodak and Fujifilm films for atrocious amounts of money, and their P&P is through the roof. Their "own brand" films are not too badly priced though.

michaelbsc
08-01-2011, 12:24 PM
This isn't to imply that shooting the film backward or cross processing is not a legitimate artistic methodology. It is a reasonable tool.

But the idea that I can charge you 2 to 3 times what it would cost you to do it yourself just because I disguise how it works is the make of a scam to me.

Jay Abbas
08-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Film being coated is good. Exposing film will result in more film being coated. Let us go out into the world and expose more film. Circle of film life !