View Full Version : Collector vs Photographer

Pages : [1] 2

CGW
05-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Sums up the dilemma nicely:

http://fractionmag.blogspot.com/2011/05/michael-sebastian-collector-vs.html

Shawn Rahman
05-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Great article/blog entry. Although some of my cameras take better pictures than others.

bwrules
05-26-2011, 12:34 PM
You could be doing far worse things than collecting, but I feel they might be doing the photographers disservice as the prices increase due to all the collecting going on.

R gould
05-26-2011, 01:14 PM
I am a camera collector, I collect usable classic cameras, every camera I own, from a 1938 bessa 66 to a 1961 rolleicord Va2, from folders to rigaed body cameras, from rangefinder's to fixed lens folders both 35mm and 120 must be a working camera and able to earn it's keep, and my collection keeps growing,
Richard

bobwysiwyg
05-26-2011, 01:44 PM
.. but I feel they might be doing the photographers disservice as the prices increase due to all the collecting going on.

Collectors may have similar thoughts about those of us who insist on still using film cameras, thus driving up the costs of collecting. ;):)

elekm
05-27-2011, 06:07 AM
I try not to buy cameras just to possess them. I really want cameras that I can load with film and use.

benjiboy
05-27-2011, 06:11 AM
I'm not a collector, I don't keep any equipment I don't use regularly.

Paul Goutiere
05-27-2011, 06:21 AM
I have a few cameras but I don't think I'd be considered a collector, but:

Better a camera to be collected than thrown in the garbage. A collector will keep his/her cameras safe and dry, perhaps maintained as well.
A collectors interest in the cameras will keep the prices of used equipment high enough that they continue to have value and
keep them from being thrown out.

R gould
05-27-2011, 07:14 AM
I try not to buy cameras just to possess them. I really want cameras that I can load with film and use.

I have only once or twice bought a camera just to own a camera, and I soon sold them again, every classic camera I have in my collection is a camera that I have wanted to buy to put film in, for me a camera, whether it be 1 year old or 70 years old, they were made to be used, and should be bought to be used,and since I made the 2 mistakes early on in my collection I have stuck to that, I will not buy a camera just to look nice on a shelf, it has to earn it's keep, and must be a camera that I will enjoy using.
Rochard:)

MattKing
05-27-2011, 12:36 PM
I have an old 1A Kodak Autographic Jr. that is only for display. Otherwise, I at least intend to regularly use the rest.

benjiboy
05-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Anybody can become a camera, or vintage guitar etc. collector all you need is the money, but the money won't make you a photographer, any more than it will make you a musician.

pgomena
06-01-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't collect cameras either. I have a couple of old 35mm rangefinders taking up space in my closet for sake of nostalgia, but I otherwise use all the cameras I own. I collect the images I make with them.

Peter Gomena

vpwphoto
06-01-2011, 10:43 AM
You could be doing far worse things than collecting, but I feel they might be doing the photographers disservice as the prices increase due to all the collecting going on.

Now you sound (sort of the opposite) like those airplane folks that think all P-51's should be grounded and in a museum.

Mike Wilde
06-01-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't aim to be a collector, but people find out you use film still, and give them to you. Or I find them at liquidation auctions for like $15-20 for a fine slr with a great clean prime lens, and am unable to say no.

I always check them out, shoot a few rolls, and then work on selling them as functional cameras at swap meets.

If they are flaky on the electronics side, or missing obvoius parts but otherwise the remaining bits look presentable, they get cataloged ( a use that I have for a digital p&s) and then tossed gently into a box in the garage attic. These become my working spare parts supplies. If they have not been called on for a few years, then these parts cameras get discarded.

Plastic point and shoot cameras with some adjustments might get kept, if the batteries are not missing or too expensive. Fixed focus el cheapo P&S cameras almost always get tossed. The found film in them is always a lot of fun to process and invariably I seem to get picture of other peoples cats and grandchildren.

flatulent1
06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Collector? Not intentionally, though it looks that way sometimes. Over the last six years I've purchased far more cameras than I need or can use, many of them in need of servicing. Often I decided I wanted a particular camera because folks here and elsewhere raved about it and I wanted to know what the shouting was about. I'm now in the process of weeding out that which gets little to no use.

dr5chrome
06-09-2011, 01:42 AM
....collected or not, if you cant shoot with the camera, what's the point?

Steve Smith
06-09-2011, 01:58 AM
Anybody can become a camera, or vintage guitar etc. collector all you need is the money, but the money won't make you a photographer, any more than it will make you a musician.

As far as being a photographer and a musician goes then, I have the advantage of having no money!

Steve.

Jeff Kubach
06-09-2011, 09:35 AM
A lot of my cameras were 'hand me downs'.

Jeff

Michel Hardy-Vallée
06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Being a photographer IS being a collector: a collector of reality. Hey, here's a nugget I'd like to take home.

I utterly disagree with the author's "necessary disdain" for tools : "Photographer, on the other hand, regards the camera as but a means of art-making. For her, a certain disdain for one's tools, but a steadfast monogamous fidelity to the chosen few, is essential if she is to make serious art."

Stupid. Ever seen William Eggleston's camera safe? Know how many lenses and cameras hung around St. Ansel's place? Wonder if Leonardo did not have a favourite brush?

You can't have disdain for your tools if you're an artist. You may just not necessarily have the same rabid devotion as a professional collector, but your tools are your art, and some may even be totally flippant about them being smashed, but there's a reason why some people do watercolour instead of oil paint: because they love the materials.

benjiboy
06-09-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm not an "Artist", just a photographer, and I have no desire to fawn over a house full of photographic equipment that I never use.