PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 23 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Oxleyroad
07-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Fifth card arrived from J Rollinger - Pinky & I during last week. It was not until last night I realized the picture was not taken vertically. Could have worked this out if I had of read through this thread in detail :whistling:. The fact that this picture has had me regularly looking at and trying to figure which way it is meant to be works in making sure the picture gets regular viewing. I like this sort of image.

Thanks Jim.

I will be taking a day off work mid month where I will get my cards done, and then in the post within a week. I just hope the domestic job sheet on the fridge does not grow so much that the darkroom time suffers.

mooseontheloose
07-04-2011, 05:43 AM
I've received quite a few cards over the past month but have been remiss in commenting on them.

Three interesting abstract photos from J Rollinger, c.w., and Dave Martiny. The latter two are nice complements to each other, and I just can't understand Jim's card, which is why I like it.

I also like the gritty, moody nature of semeuse's "The Watchtower at Gilbert's Bar". Continuing on the water theme, my favorite of Mike Wilde's three cards is "Overcast spring day walk" printed on old Indiatone paper, which has a multiple split toning look with all the greys and blues. I'm really need to try out the batch that he sent me.

Two great 5x7's arrived today -- Rudiger's "No Bikes" and Sandra's "Guardian Angel". Rudiger -- I guess bikes are not allowed, but beers are? I also really like the feel of the Adox fineprint -- I may have to try that at some point in the future. Sandra - cemetery statuary is a favorite subject of mine and I really like this one -- she seems sad but a little menacing as well.

Last, but certainly not least, is Roger Thoms' "Yard Office". I like the simplicity of the image which really reminds of a lot of old buildings back in my hometown.

And in other news...my cards are finally printed! I was in Tokyo for a conference and finally got into a darkroom (a great place called "Place M Tokyo Darkroom (http://www.placem.com/darkroom_en.html)") for the first time in a year and a half. It was really great to be working in the darkroom again and I can't wait for my next trip up north for another session (that won't be until November unless I can find an enlarger before then). I just need to finish labelling them but they should be out by the end of the week.

hpulley
07-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Got three in the mail today!

Dave's untitled with orientaion instructions, great texture to it.

Sandra's Guardian Angel. I could use one! Love the eyes of the statue.

And Rudiger's "No bikes". But beer parking is OK :laugh:

Thanks everyone!

Roger Thoms
07-05-2011, 01:03 AM
This arrived about a week ago, CW's Quansit in Snow. Took me a bit to figure out what it was, at first saw a spill way and lots of foaming water, then the snow and galvanized steel popped into focus. This is a great abstract shot whit particularly nice snow.

I also waited to thank everyone for the comments on my card, it's great to hear the feedback. The "Yard Office was particularly fun because I also sent one to a friend who has her studio in that building, and she got a real kick out of it.

Roger

Laurent
07-05-2011, 06:29 AM
I received Sandra Wittmann's Ange gardien. The 'pose' is very nice, and very well captured. The limited DOF gives expressionto the statue, and so do the delicate tones.

Rüediger's findings in sleeping Heidelberg. Intriguing image, with shallow DOF, and very nice details. I love the paper's feel and the toning.

Danke schön !

hpulley
07-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I got Jim's Pinky & I today. Even expecting the orientation from this thread it took me a while! Thanks.

And, my cards are in the mail at last though they said the strike has things 2-3 weeks backed up so I don't know when you'll see them. I hope they all arrive OK and before September.

Oxleyroad
07-06-2011, 02:10 AM
Rüediger's findings in sleeping Heidelberg. Intriguing image, with shallow DOF, and very nice details. I love the paper's feel and the toning.

Danke schön !

Rüediger's card is number 6 for me. And I have to agree with Laurent's comments. Can't think of anything else myself. Brilliant!

Roger Thoms
07-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Received ccross card today, a very cool contact print from a paper negative. The paper negative gives the image a nice quality, good job Craig!!!

Roger

hpulley
07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I got Craig's contact print of a paper negative of water today as well, thanks! 6 ISO is a nice way to get smooth water shots without stacking ND filters, that's for sure!

Black Dog
07-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Have recieved........- Rudiger's enigmatic sign and bottle
-Sandra's dreamy angel
-Uwe's dreamlike infrared landscape...a pleasantly subtle IR effect which doesn't hit you over the head for a change
-Another quality three card rhumba from Mike Wilde.The warmtoned picture of the creek is my favourite.
Thanks again to you all!

Christopher Walrath
07-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Hey, guys. I know I'm not in this round but a thanks is owed and it is owed here.

Craig sent me a postcard, an spare he had made up. He found my address and thought of me and the children. It's a beautiful contact print from a paper 4x5 neg. The stream has great motion, fine angel hair spilling over the rocks. It's a beautiful image and a more beautiful sentiment.

Thanks a lot, Chris. (Gotcha)

piu58
07-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I got Craigs contact print a few day ago. A very interesting shot indeed! The flowing water comes out very well. Thank you!

semeuse
07-10-2011, 05:54 PM
two more cards this week.

Ruediger's "No Bikes" is a beautifully printed study. Glad to know there will be no drunken bicyclists careening around Heidelberg ;)

Craig's wonderful contact print from a paper negative - fantastic detail.

Thank you!

MattKing
07-10-2011, 06:02 PM
My cards are now all on their way. The Canadian ones were mailed from Canada, while the US and international ones were mailed from the US.

I hope the International cards get there, because it looks to me like I was working on incorrect postage info to start, and then the correction I received at the postal outlet was itself incorrect :blink:

mooseontheloose
07-11-2011, 04:56 AM
I received Craig's off-kilter contact print today. The black border really makes the image stand out. I like the soft quality of this photo, and if I didn't know any better I would think that the water was someone's freakishly long hair. ;-)

hpulley
07-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Got CWs Quansit in Snow on Friday, thanks! Love the sharpness and contrast of the PanF+. The black border works well on this one.

I also got George Richards' Cold Steel. Looks like a great place for shooting, I'd take short cuts too! Thanks.

Trond
07-11-2011, 12:48 PM
So far I have received 9 cards! This is my first postcard exchange, and I am disappointed every day there is no card in the mail box...

The first one to arrive was piu98's kayak photo, which reminds me that I have to do more canoeing this season.

The next one is an incredibly funny card from Jim Rollinger, of himself, his cat and his camera.

The third one is from Kris Haggblom, the first and so far only colour photograph. A beach which looks very cold and windy for some reason. Perhaps because of the cross processing.

Mike Wilde sent an envelope containing three photos. I especially like the one printed on Ansco Indiatone paper. The scene suits the fogged paper very well.

Then came the "Yard Office" from Roger R. Thoms, an interesting photograph and very well printed too.

C.W. sent a card titled "Quansit in snow". I had too look up "Quansit". Interesting. An enjoyable image of repeating circular shapes, textures and the black against the white.

From Dave Martiny an image of something which looks like a lot of pipes. A very dynamic photo.

Rüdiger has sent a lovely photograph titled "Sunday morning news." A quiet and well printed image which I like a lot.

The last one to arrive, so far, is from Craig Cross, and is of moving water. Contact printed from a paper negative, something which I haven't tried for many years, which I should perhaps try again.

Trond

Trond
07-11-2011, 12:58 PM
My cards are finally ready for the mail. This is the first reason I have had a reason to fire up my new Thermaphot processor, acquired very cheaply some time ago. Very useful piece of equipment for postcards.

Trond

Laurent
07-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Today's been a great day : I got my ne (to me) enlarger and 3 cards :

Rachelle's Tiger's nest monestary. Great composition with the line of flags driving te eye to the impressive building. The IR effect is very light but really helps the picture as the trees look lighter.

HPulley's A bit young for coffee. Color image, with lovely tones, it looks like a vintage print.

Ccross's moving water. The abstract view works very well for me, and the sense of movement is well carried.

Thanks !

Trond
07-12-2011, 11:14 AM
A card from hpulley arrived today. The second colour photograph to arrive. Lots of detail and interesting muted colours. Makes me want to try out some colour printing again!

Trond