PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 23 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

ozphoto
08-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Wow!!! I finally had the chance to collect my mail last night, and the variety and quality of the postcards I've received so far has been superb. (So much nicer than reading all the bills that arrived as well. :whistling:)

George Richards - Cold Steel : nice play on the shadows and the snow reinforces the "cold";
Darwin - St Paul's : Tranquil scene which lets your mind wander just by looking at it;
Willi (HWV) - Eiffel Tower : an angle I never shot last time I was in Paris, maybe next time?
Roger Thoms - Yard Office : I love images with texture and this one's history only adds to the feeling;
Kris Haggblom - House of Refuge : now this is one bar I definitely have to visit!!
Dave Martiny - Ribbing : love it! Whichever way you look at it, the viewpoint works;
Andrew W - Trestle : another favourite subject for me, the tones, the dust, the weeds!!
Allen Friday - Dry Falls : A great image of the falls that gives an interesting perspective;
Valerie - Through the Gift Shop : A great, fun shot, and with a Brownie Hawkeye to boot!
Rachelle - Tiger's Nest Monastry : I love IR and this shot sings for me;
Harry Pulley - A Bit Young for Coffee : You're never too young for coffee, you just need to acquire the taste later in life :cool:;
Craig Cross - Flowing River : lovely feel and tonal range to this image - need to have a shot at this myself someday;
Rudiger - Heidelberg : a wonderful town and great time to photograph - this brings back fond memories of my last trip to Germany;
Trond - Beach : now I can have my own seaside view here in Bangkok - something I actually miss very much;
Andres Palm - Self Portrait with Bricks : another favourite subject for me - tone & texture works great!

Once again, each card will go up on my local restaurant's pin board for the customers to enjoy.

Looking forward to more cards coming through soon.

masimix
08-15-2011, 06:33 AM
My photos are in the mail! First batch sent wednesday, and the second on friday.

I am sorry I did not send them as open postcards. I ended up doing a lot of work on these, and they are printed in an edition of 60, meaning there will be only 60 printed in this size. I will make 30 in 8x10" and probably another 30 in 11x14" or 12x16" for later exhibitions. I just wanted to give them a little protection.. next time I promise to go for an open postcard, as I very much enjoy to receive them that way myself.

There is one who got an open postcard, by chance actually. Let me know if it is intact!

The picture has a title, but I'll give that away later, as I hope you all can interpret what you see first.

The technicalities:

Photographed on the island of Hydra outside mainland Greece, on the 25th of October 2010. Nikon FM3a with a Nikkor 85 f2, and a Hoya R72 filter, since the film was Ilford SFX200. Probably at 1/60 f4 handheld (I normally use a tripod as you can hardly see anything thru the R72!).

It was developed back in Oslo with HC-110 1+60 for 15 minutes, agitation first 30s + every second minute, three inversions.

Printed in the beginning of july on Fomabrom Variant IV 123 5x7" paper with Ilford Multigrade developer. All the prints have been toned in Kodak Seleniumtoner 1+20 for 5-6 minutes. Some have been toned in Agfa New Viradon, and they are quite brown. They are mostly from the first batch I made, a little too dark, maybe?

I still receive cards, will get back with comments!

Marius aka masimix

swittmann
08-15-2011, 09:31 AM
It is high time that I thank you all for the postcards you sent to me. Here are the ones I received so far:

Marius: masimix, your card is one of my absolute favorites. Really stunning. I LOVE it. I see a face in the stones on the left side, while the clouds and the moon (sun?) remind me of an eye.

Rüdiger: "Sonntagszeitung". Very calm picture, I'd like to pick up the newspaper and read it, with a good cup of coffee and a croissant...

Harry: "A bit young for coffee". I love the warm colors of that shot. What a nice surprise to see a color photo. And now I want a coffee :cool:

Dave: "Untitled". Really nice abstract photo. In landscape format, it reminds me of a field and somehow this is the orientation I prefer.

George: "Cold Steel". The favorite postcard of my little son (almost 3yrs. old) - he loves trains. I like the card, too, and the print quality is great.

Darwin: "St. Paul's, Salt Spring Is.". A beautiful contact print of a beautiful little church/chapel. I like the calm and inviting atmosphere in this picture (and LF cameras are so tempting... :D )

Heinz-Willi: "Eiffelturm": I love France and so I love the card. It is composed and printed so well.

Valerie: "Through the Gift Shop". Funny car :laugh: Well seen and a nice idea to turn this into a postcard.

Allen: "Dry Falls". This card suffered quite a bit during transport and parts of the surface are scratched off. However, it is still a beautiful card and I first had to look at it to figure out what it is (I wanted to find out by myself, before reading the description on the back).

Craig: This is another one of my favorites. What a great contact print. I love how the water almost looks like hair, and the black frame makes it look quite "dramatic".

Rachelle: "Tiger's Nest Monastery". This was one of the first cards I received and is one of those I love the most. What an image! Wow! I love the composition, the atmosphere, well, everything.

Thank you all!

mooseontheloose
08-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Marius, received your card today -- it's wonderful. I thought it was the moon at night until I read your explanation that it's SFX with a filter. I like the sense of light breaking through the darkness. Nice paper too -- I really should try it!

Also received Anikin's "Music in the Snow" card today, what a bizarre scene! Still, looking at the snow reminds me that it is possible to get cool again (it's so hot here in Japan!).

Finally, Jacco' "Elmo at the market" -- I remember enjoying this image as part of the MSA assignment and it's one of my favorites.

kraker
08-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Finally, Jacco' "Elmo at the market" -- I remember enjoying this image as part of the MSA assignment and it's one of my favorites.

Imagine that, of all places, the first reported sighting of my card comes from Japan. I wouldn't have thought that. :whistling:

Thanks, Rachelle.

hpulley
08-16-2011, 10:14 AM
I too got Anikin's Music in the Snow. Thanks!

labcoat
08-16-2011, 10:18 PM
I have received two more cards:

ndrs's "Self portrait with bricks": I quite like the juxtaposition of the organic shapes of the bricks, the plaster, and the silhuette with that straight vertical line. The texture in the print looks very nice as well. Also, I'm very impressed with the detail and sharpness.

Mark Rewald's "Denver Serengeti": This is definitely one of my favorite pictures from this round. I really like animal photos, and this one is exceptionally nice. You caught the lion in a great pose.

Unfortunately the post office machines were not very gentle with these two cards. Mark's photo was barcoded on the front and both cards have small spots where the emulsion has rubbed off. But they still look very good.

Oxleyroad
08-16-2011, 10:43 PM
At last my prints in the post today.

Only 17 days late. Will put up another post with the 5 or six cards i have rec'd sincemy last post.

hpulley
08-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Got Andrew's Trestle today. Wonderful tones, it really pops, looks like I could step into it.

Still chuckling over Anikin's musicians on the snow hill too, what a scene!

hpulley
08-17-2011, 08:52 PM
And Mark's Lion today, thanks! Must have been fun to try out a lens at the zoo.

Azzy
08-18-2011, 01:09 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for the beautiful images received this round and regret to say that my cards are still waiting to be posted. I printed them back in July but a major project at the workplace got in the way of labelling and sending them. I'll try my best to get them all out in September, I hope it's still okay.

I really do hope to get organized for the final round this year and would hate to miss the Autumn edition:)

regards,
József

hpulley
08-18-2011, 07:35 PM
I got kraker's Elmo at the Market today. I love the framing! Thanks.

ozphoto
08-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Marius' and Anikin's cards also arrived this week.

I also love the SFX feel to your card Marius, and like Rachelle, need to give this paper a test myself! I actually like the Viradon brown tone - it makes me think of images from "way back when".

Anikin's "Snow" brought a smile to my face - it's hot here in Thailand, but I'm hoping at some stage to get to Europe for a nice white winter!

hpulley
08-22-2011, 09:18 PM
I got Marius 44/60 on interesting textured Fomabrom paper. Looks almost like a moonlit cloud but I know it is IR.

I'm not sure the envelope helps actually. The cancellation marks left imprints and the corners are a little bit bent. It looks about the same, except for less scuffing. I think one needs to go to the trouble of cardboard padding to really protect a print but thanks for trying and for sending it! I love seeing the different papers and excellent original prints in my hand, much better than a book or under glass.

Oxleyroad
08-24-2011, 07:44 AM
I have been quiet for a while and in that time another ten cards have arrived. All brilliant work and captures the eyes of all the guests to our home. I now have 22/30. Not bad going given I was so late in getting out my own.

My comments in no particular order;
masimix - moon in the clouds. Brilliant paper and toning? Almost out of this world. I have not read other posts on your card (must do so), was it toned or a specific developer? What paper?

Mark Rewald - Lion at Denver Serengeti. My 3 year daughter has claimed this as her own card. She loves lions and she says it is just like her toy ones only 'better'. I bet it was hard to hand back that 600mm lens.

Allen Friday - Dry Falls. Great image. Without you telling me what it was I would not have guessed you took the image while looking out.

Anikin - Music in the snow. Looks like a really great day to be out in the snow. What makes people go out and make music like that in the snow? I ask as someone who lives in one of the driest and hottest continents on the planet really has no idea.

Valerie - Houston Art Car parade. I like the positioning of the image with the smoothed edges. Makes me wish I was there.

andrew.vartabedian - Wow from and Engineer who is drawn into images like this. I try not to take many photos like this because my immediate audience (my family) is not interested in such images so I have to restrain myself. I really appreciate the DOF and full tonal range. Thank-you. Also thanks for the current reference of happy winter!

ndrs - Self Portrait. Spectacular image. It is almost like it has been composed from two owing to the dark line about 1/3 the way across from the left. Detail and sharpness without any harshness in my opinion.

hwv - Eiffel Tower. Another picture that says I was there. I wish I was. A destination that is on my wish list.

Nova Scotia - Cold Steel. Title indicates cold but it looks and feels it is far from it. Another card with the full tonal ranges from the brilliant white of the snow to the blacks of the darkest shadows.

Trond - Beach. Simple and intriguing. A very calming photo that would look great blown up to a much larger size.

Once again thanks to everyone who has sent a card to me in this round. As I have mentioned before in past exchanges your cards entertain many more people than just my family. The cards from these exchanges are now becoming something that are being looked forward to by many of the regular visitors to Oxleyroad.

hpulley
08-24-2011, 02:42 PM
I received gordrob's Mt Rundle in Infrared today. Gorgeous scene! Magical in IR. Cold tone developer suits it too. Thanks!

piu58
08-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Yesterday I received Mark Rewald's shot in the Serengeti. Thi si a great photo! I believe it was a hard task to get everything sharp with a 600 mm lens. Than you.

ozphoto
08-26-2011, 04:16 AM
I got Mark's Denver Sengeti this week also. Great shot - as Uwe said - pin sharp on 600mm: outstanding!!
Apologies to all - work has got in the way of me posting these cards!

Every time I sit down to write up the labels, I get yet another email. . . . . oh gotta go! Another one!! ;)

Mike Wilde
08-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Another week or so of cards to comment on.

anikin - A great image of concept artists at play. A nice print balance with the location of the bottom of the trees near a third. Nice tonality in all of the surfaces from the snow to the shadows in the trees.

gordrob - Another great temptation shot to prompt me to pull the last IR films I am hoarding out of the freezer and use them. I might have printed this image with a bit higher contrast, or at least more local contrast; it rings a tad flat to me.

markrewald – a nice ‘3/4 length portrait’ of the lion. I guess you fluked to have it strike such a nice pose, because this subject would not be as amenable to the ‘head a little high’ kind of photographer’s talk. Nice tonality and super example of great texture.

masimix - I enjoy the mood, graininess, and super texture of the paper you have printed this on. All of these factors came together very well to make a most compelling ‘moon and clouds’ photo image.

oxleyroad – Ah, good old beefy real sized Ozzie spiders. A very nice placement, with the web appearing centrally in the print. The out of focus light areas – bokeh if you will; aids in giving the image depth. I can identify with the challenge using up different old paper in one of these exchanges; I do it all the time.

hpulley
08-26-2011, 11:31 AM
I too received Oxleyroad's orb weaver. It is decidedly brown, yet not toned? Well done on old paper which is a favorite pasttime of mine as well; thanks!