PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 23 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Oxleyroad
08-28-2011, 08:27 AM
I too received Oxleyroad's orb weaver. It is decidedly brown, yet not toned? Well done on old paper which is a favorite pasttime of mine as well; thanks!

It was toned, maybe cooked rather than toned! Cold night in the shed (read darkroom) and I left the bleach and toner sitting in a hot water bath for too long, and impatience prevented me from cooling it before using. Oh well.

I have only once made the mistake of throw out old paper, and since getting Mike's postcards on old paper I've sworn never to throw out old paper again. I'll instead try to soup up an appropriate developer to allow me to use to the best it can be:)

oxleyroad – Ah, good old beefy real sized Ozzie spiders. A very nice placement, with the web appearing centrally in the print. The out of focus light areas – bokeh if you will; aids in giving the image depth. I can identify with the challenge using up different old paper in one of these exchanges; I do it all the time.

Thanks for your comments. Mike. I have grown up with these big girls and their golden webs are almost as strong as fishing nets. I tell you there is nothing worse than making you way down a footpath (sidewalk) at speed and charging through a web as I used to frequently in my high school days when I delivered papers before breakfast. With a spider almost as big as your hand you really want to know where it is after destroying it's web...

Oxleyroad
08-29-2011, 03:26 AM
23/30 rec'd DRPSILVER's A friendly country church today. Nice, almost too perfect. I mean it almost looks like a model of a church, but the flora in the background shows that it has to be real.

Thanks Darwin.

kraker
08-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Received since my previous update:

anikin, music in the snow. Hey, that looks like xylophones in the snow. Oh, it is, they are! Not something you see (or hear) every day. Well executed, lots of detail in the snow, and it really still looks like snow. I haven't tried often, but I find it hard to get such a subject printed as good as you did. Thanks.
masimix (31/60), lovely moody shot, and nice paper too. I'll have to read back in this thread to see some more details, but I like what I see!
markrewald, Denver Serengeti, another great shot. Great detail, and for all I know, this shot was taken in the real Serengeti, no signs at all that you were at the zoo. An interesting way to try out some lenses, a test drive day. I'll be looking out for one of those in my neighbourhood (still talking about a test drive, not a lion!).

I've also received my own card. Counting that one as well, I've received 19 out of 26, not bad, and hopefully more to come.

Oxleyroad
08-30-2011, 07:16 AM
24/30. Rec'd gordrob's Mt Rundle IR card today. Very special print that draws the viewer in. Thanks.

Laurent
08-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Sorry for the long delay, I've been away, then sick, so I'm very late for this exchange !

In the meantime, I've received quite a few cards :

Allen Friday's Dry Falls. Intriguing view of a forest !

andrew.vartabedian's Trestle. I like architecture details, and the symetry works fine for me on this image.

Anikin's Music in the snow. Quite uncommon event, at least for me, to see people playing music outdoors that high !

Kraker's Elmo at the market. Nice capture, really gives the feeling of a Muppett show's image.

ndrs's Self portrait with bricks.

Valerie's Through the gift shop. Interesting car, I like the Brownie look.

HWV's Tour Eiffel. Very dynamic composition for this monument.

DRPSILVER's St Paul's Salt Spring Is. Very classic view of a nice and tiny church. It's always amazing to see that LF shines, even for such small prints !

Oxleyroad's Spider. The old paper feels very good, but the subject matter could be found scary by some people.

Mark Rewald's Denver Serengeti. Very nice portrait of a lion !

Thanks to all !

I hope I'll have selected a negative by the end of the week, and will hopefully print this week also ! (I initially planned on using the new LPL for this, but I still have to find time to build the support for it !)

rst
09-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Hi postcarders,

first of all, thank you for all the really nice postcards I got in this round. I would say this has been one of the best rounds for me since I am in the exchange. If I will find the time, I will post my comments on every card I received, but unfortunately I went through some very busy times in the last few months.

Anyway, the next round of the exchange, which is round 24, just opened the signup booth, come by and signup, it is only a click away: Click! (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum179/95588-postcard-exchange-round-24-signup.html)

Cheers
Ruediger

lorirfrommontana
09-05-2011, 04:10 AM
Hi all. I am very tardy for this round. So sorry! Life has been very busy lately! I'll get my postcards out by next Saturday. I'm going to send a color shot this time but have to have them printed as I don't print color (yet). I love every card I've recieved! It's always so much fun to see everyones work.
- Lori

drpsilver
09-06-2011, 11:57 PM
06 Sept 2011

While cleaning of my desk I found the following cards:

A card from anikin of two people making music in the snow.
A photo from kraker of a very interesting market. Looks like they have a little bit of everything.
The card from Oxleyroad has such detail, and I really like to brown tone (not too much red). Great close-up!

So far this round I am at 28 of 42 cards sent (67%)

Regards,
Darwin

Laurent
09-07-2011, 01:50 AM
I received GordRob's Mt Rundle in infrared. Quite interesting (and deceiving) view. If I do not look at it very carefully, I see something looking like Monument VAlley, with a bank of clouds and then some other mounts in the back...

hpulley
09-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I have received 27 so far, mine makes it 28. Have you received 28 plus your own?

Mike Wilde
09-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I have most of the planned 30 replies for R23. Just Lori and Jake, who have recently posted that their output is coming and maybe a few more. I never fret about getting them all.

I plant 10 vining green beans in the garden every spring beside the trellis. This year only 9 sprouted, and only 8 made it to start vining their way up the sisal I hang for them to latch onto.

But I alway get lots of pleasure from the ones that do get going. I just harvested the first picking off of them this past weekend, and it was like a 4l sized zip lock bag filled with beans.

There will be a similar sized picking every week for the next two weeks until frost kills them in mid to later November.

Aron
09-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Sorry for this massive delay in my response.

Here are the cards I've received so far:

hpulley: It was your photo I kept on the top of the other cards, I really like it's colours. Although in B&W terms the contrast might be a bit excessive, I think these vivid colours work really well here.

anikin: Nice winter scene. I guess I'd be rather skiing than playing the xylophone.

George Nova Scotia: I like very much your choice of subject, as well the light. I myself photographed late 19th-early 20th century steam engines and carriages during the summer in an old warehouse, so I was happy to see one on your card.

Trond: Lovely minimalist photo, it got me first thinking about its scale. Also, great tonality.

Mark Rewald: I'm happy to see you had fun with the Canon 600 mm lens. I can't imagine myself using one but it was pretty much mandatory for your photo.

mooseontheloose: This is one lovely photo, Rachelle. I really like not only the composition, but the distinctive halo around the white line. Great job.

rst: An unusually sharp photo from you, Ruediger... I like the simplicity and the nice tonality of this image.

ccross: Thanks for sharing this photo with us, the water feels so plastic I could almost reach out and take a handful out of it.

Roger Thoms: Thanks for telling us more about your process, I believe you've quite a successful combo in your hands.

Dave Martiny: I like the simple harmony of your photo, although I might have tried printing it on a much higher grade to give it a punchy, more graphic look.

drpsilver: A beautiful contact print, it seems I can't spend enough time looking at it.

hwv: A rather unusual, interesting crop of this iconic structure and great tonality, of course.

andrew.vartabedian: I always had a soft spot for beautiful riveted structures, it looks rather indestructible, yet refined at the same time.

ndrs: This photo really works for me, beautiful detail everywhere and the important humorous element: your shadow; but honestly, I think the composition and the interesting play with light could alone make this picture. Well done!

semeuse: I like how dreamlike the cross-processed colours make this photo. Thanks.

masimix: A great image, put together well in the camera. Also, printed on a lovely paper, thanks.

Valerie: A humorous subject, taken one step further by using a Brownie.

Allen Friday: This photo makes me feel like I was there, too. Thanks.

Aron
09-09-2011, 07:36 AM
I apologise for my delay, my cards went in the mail this morning, I hope they'll find their way to your mailboxes soon.

I had great pleasure addressing them, I started to forget how splendid it is to write on the smooth back of FB paper.

Laurent
09-10-2011, 03:05 PM
My cards are finally stamped and addressed, so they should start their journey next Monday (I missed the last departure)

I did not include technical details as I usually do, because I hand wrote them (won't do it again :whistling:) so here they are :

The negative was shot with my EOS 3 and the EF 85/1.8 lens, on HP5 @ 250 ISO souped in X-Tol 1+1.

All the best !

lorirfrommontana
09-14-2011, 12:15 PM
My cards will be ready on Thursday. Then I have to write on them all so they will be out by the weekend.
- Lori

ozphoto
09-15-2011, 12:33 AM
And my cards will be out by next week; why does work always seem to get in the way of the more important things???

Roger Thoms
09-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Lori and Nanette looking forward to your cards!!!

Roger

kraker
09-16-2011, 02:55 AM
My cards are finally stamped and addressed, so they should start their journey next Monday (I missed the last departure)

Laurent, received your seascape yesterday, thanks!

hpulley
09-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Seems like weeks since I got a card so I'm looking forward to the second wave!

Laurent
09-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Seems like weeks since I got a card so I'm looking forward to the second wave!

Mine is on it's way !!! Stay tuned :cool: