PDA

View Full Version : Darkroom equipment sources

Dikaiosune01
06-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Are there any places in Toronto to source Darkroom equipment?
I've started to build my darkroom
The sources in Hong Kong are scarce and difficult to deal with.
I'm hoping that my home home, Toronto, might have better resources for me.
Thanks.
Biggest on the list is a black and white light source (preferably a diffusor) for a Beseler 45MX

samcomet
06-16-2011, 11:12 PM
These are who I use in Australia, although they are in Mississauga.....good luck they have been great with me down under.....cheers, sam :cool:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/

naeroscatu
06-17-2011, 02:55 PM
+1 for KHB - I bought few enlarger lenses from them. Friendly and very knowledgeable.

eclarke
06-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Can't say enough good about KHB..Evan Clarke

edwardeastman
06-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Hello: I live in Oakville, about 20 minutes from Toronto, and have 2 complete darkrooms for sale (4x5 enlarger (2), lenses, 2 - sink (6 feet), 2 - stand, trays (8x10, 11x14 & 16x20), easels (Saunders 4 blade), light box, film developing tanks (120 and 4x5), everything you need to set up and starting working immediately). I also have some paper (refrigerated) and books. Leave me a message if you are interested.

Jeff L
06-19-2011, 11:00 PM
and another for KHB.

Axle
06-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Also if you're looking for another source, Burlington Camera, their basement is almost all dedicated to Darkroom equipment and supplies. http://www.burlingtoncamera.com/

Marek Warunkiewicz
06-21-2011, 05:53 AM
I find KHB is terrible because of extremely high prices and awful customer service. Each time I have gotten stuff from them I have been let down on a number of levels. The last and worst example was when I called them about a manual for a late model Beseler CB7. I told them that I was specifically looking for detailed information on alignment. I have had this enlarger since I was 18 or so which means I have had it for around 40 years. It has been shipped a number of times when I moved. They told me that they did indeed have a manual for the enlarger and it did have detailed info on alignment. Bought the manual. When it arrived, it had nothing about alignment except for a phrase in it that said I should purchase the extra technical manual to do the alignment. I called them and they told me that I should have looked at the manual before I bought it! Huh? OK, it was only twelve bucks. So I asked if they could do the alignment. They said yes, they could, it would cost a minimum of $250, more likely $500. I asked them how they know how to align the machine. They told me they had a manual. I asked if I could buy the manual since that was what I wanted in the first place. They said no. They wanted me to bring the enlarger to them and then take it back And that's when things go out of alignment. This is typical of their service and their attitude. I will NEVER buy anything from them again and would recommend nobody does either. Better to wait for something to come up on Craigslist or on forums like this and Large Format Photography, even eBay.

I now this is a long diatribe abut what might seem like a trivial matter, but it was the last straw of many.

kpphoto
06-29-2011, 04:15 PM
I second Marek...
I had an episode where I went to them for a few items and the employees were saying unmentionalble things about their bosses behind their backs. Hmmm...
I brought in a flash pack for repair and they ended up using it for parts and never contacted me and they were not apologetic at all when I called them about it.
I have heard other stories that would fry your mind.

CGW
06-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Business couldn't be that good! Don't recall seeing rent-a-cops directing customer traffic around the place...

Uncle Bill
06-29-2011, 05:58 PM
I called KHB once a few years back and was not impress with who answered the phone. That and the fact they wanted to sell me a Devere 504 manual for $50 which was a spiral bound booklet on inkjet paper. Thanks but no thanks.....

canuhead
06-30-2011, 06:11 PM
I bought several manuals there, well they're really just photocopies, and not cheap ones at that. Really didn't want to spend my time trying to find free ones online so I sucked it up paid...

Film Noir
11-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Business couldn't be that good! Don't recall seeing rent-a-cops directing customer traffic around the place...

Best Place to buy darkroom equipment. They have everything. I'm not sure about the employees statement, I only see one person running the entire place. Very knowledgeable.

Jon Shiu
11-07-2014, 12:25 AM
There is a guy named Bob Carnie that has some extra darkroom equipment. He runs a lab. I forget what it's called, but he is a member here.

Jon

Ko.Fe.
11-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Burlington camera.

Simian Summit
11-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Also if you're looking for another source, Burlington Camera, their basement is almost all dedicated to Darkroom equipment and supplies. http://www.burlingtoncamera.com/

I second the motion for Burlington Camera. Not only is their basement full of darkroom goodies (both new and used), but the people who work their told me not to buy things because I would be wasting my money.

canuhead
11-20-2014, 05:28 PM
sorry its time sensitive but there's camera show this Sunday. will have to dig up the flyer but it's at the Delta Hotel off the 401, Kennedy exit.

Axle
11-21-2014, 11:01 AM
sorry its time sensitive but there's camera show this Sunday. will have to dig up the flyer but it's at the Delta Hotel off the 401, Kennedy exit.

yes! I'll be there hunting down film.

Anyways, Flyer: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80727068/Camera%20show%20Nov%202014.pdf