PDA

View Full Version : Creating a negative image via paper negative

tkamiya
06-18-2011, 09:39 AM
I just want to make sure I'm thinking this through right and not waste YET another paper.

I have an image I want to print inverted. That is, I don't want a positive image but negative, just like what my neg film looks like. I plan to make a high contrast print, then sandwich paper to paper, emulsion side facing each other and expose.

That would require my negative (film) to be up-side-down in neg carrier so that the final print will be right, correct?

Ian C
06-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Why not copy the negative to make a film positive and put the positive into the enlarger for printing?

jnanian
06-18-2011, 11:41 AM
hi ian C

seems like an awful lot of work to do something as simple as a contact print. ...

I just want to make sure I'm thinking this through right and not waste YET another paper.

I have an image I want to print inverted. That is, I don't want a positive image but negative, just like what my neg film looks like. I plan to make a high contrast print, then sandwich paper to paper, emulsion side facing each other and expose.

That would require my negative (film) to be up-side-down in neg carrier so that the final print will be right, correct?

yup

:)

have fun !

john

Ian C
06-18-2011, 11:54 AM
I was thinking in terms of image sharpness and the ability to make a print at any size wanted.

It’s a bit more work initially to make a positive film copy, but making subsequent prints from the positive copy strikes me as easier and more controllable.

jnanian
06-18-2011, 01:16 PM
hi again ian

years ago i was given a photograph of a band ..." we lost the negative can you make another ? "
so i with the OK of the original shooter i made a paper negative and printed another bunch of prints
the person who originally took the photograph was given a print ( and i think i gave her the paper negative too )
she was amazed that the contact print was just as detail rich+sharp as the original print ...

i always find making an internegative with film to be a pain ... but
to each their own ...

have fun !
john

hrst
06-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Or, if your original neg is 35mm and your enlarger goes to 6x6 or more, you can enlarge your 35mm frame to a piece of 120 film, taped flat on the easel. With f/22, start experimenting with the exposure at something like 1 second. Then, you can enlarge from that neg. It is not that tedious!

Or, just tape down a piece of unexposed film in the same format (or larger!) to the easel in dark, then put your neg on the top of it, and add a sheet of glass. Expose with the enlarger to make a contact copy. This is not that tedious, either!

If you happen to have orthochromatic film, this is even easier as you can do it red light on.

This way, you won't have any problems with paper texture and you can vary the size or make further copies more quickly. But well, there's nothing wrong with the way you describe, but I think it's not much easier, and the contrast may be too high.

tkamiya
06-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Well... for my purpose, this will be just a "one off" experiment. (by the way, would anyone care to address my original question? :):whistling::laugh::p:blink: )

Yes, my enlarger can do MF and larger. That will be another project to work on... I have been wanting to dupe some negs. That'll be fun.

jnanian
06-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Well... for my purpose, this will be just a "one off" experiment. (by the way, would anyone care to address my original question? :):whistling::laugh::p:blink: )

Yes, my enlarger can do MF and larger. That will be another project to work on... I have been wanting to dupe some negs. That'll be fun.

hey T

i answered it before ;) --- >> "yup" :)
( maybe you missed it in all my babbling )

your original print doesn't need to be over the top contrast
and yup just flip your negative, it will flip back again ...

have fun !
john

2F/2F
06-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Yes, indeed; you flip the original negative if you want it to be oriented the way you shot it.

You can also make a film positive on litho film, then enlarge or contact print the positive to make your final print.

tkamiya
06-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks all. Yup, yup....

Gerald C Koch
06-22-2011, 12:56 AM
There is a technique used to convert an image into a line drawing by sandwiching a positive image and a negative image together and then making a print. Is that what you are trying to do?

musila
07-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Also, the psuedo solarization technique might be of interest to you. By turning the lights on for a bit when your paper is in the developer, when the image just comes up. If done right, it reverses the image, with the exceptions of the extreme highlights/shadows, and gives strange effects at the edges of points of contrast.