PDA

View Full Version : liquid emulsion printing on skin?

bradwoodville
06-21-2011, 01:53 PM
so i was at work bored out of my mind when i thought about using liquid emulsion to print on my hand/arm or other body part. i have never used it before and was just wondering if anyone else here has heard of this or done it. i know there are several factors ie focus falling off and holding steady long enough. maybe using a latex glove? thoughts?

brad

Marco B
06-21-2011, 02:14 PM
so i was at work bored out of my mind when i thought about using liquid emulsion to print on my hand/arm or other body part. i have never used it before and was just wondering if anyone else here has heard of this or done it. i know there are several factors ie focus falling off and holding steady long enough. maybe using a latex glove? thoughts?

brad

Well, for one thing, you probably won't want to use any potentially harmful developer like a normal hydroquinone based developer, but go for a "Jnanian style" natural coffee developer (http://www.caffenol.org/). If it is not because of the fact that hydroquinone is listed as a potential harmful agent (just look at the warning labels of your developer), it might be because you don't want the image permanently engraved in your skin as a de-pigmentated skin area. Hydroquinone was popular with some Afro Americans for the purpose of lightening their skin. I think this usage is now prohibited because of potential negative health effects, and it sure didn't do Michael Jackson any good :blink:

In addition, it is probably best to be like the "Ice Man" (http://www.innerfire.nl/en-home), and permanently live in a cold climate, as the emulsion will be close, or over, the melting point on your 38 degree skin. It might run of your skin in a hot climate...

Other than the practicalities, well, it certainly is an original idea...

Photo Engineer
06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
You will have to harden the emulsion somehow, and all hardeners I can think of are rather nasty when applied to human skin. The image will rapidly crack due to the natural movement of skin, and the image will probably only last a few days if that.

PE

Marco B
06-21-2011, 02:34 PM
The image will rapidly crack due to the natural movement of skin, and the image will probably only last a few days if that.

PE

Which is probably exactly what Brad is after as a one-off art project...

Photo Engineer
06-21-2011, 03:20 PM
If it is not hardened, it will wash off during processing due to body heat.

;)

PE

Athiril
06-22-2011, 01:25 AM
You could enlarge a negative onto some sheet film, tape the image to your body and contact print it at a tanning salon? ;)

mrred
06-22-2011, 05:15 AM
Hmmmmm.......How much of a tan? Their could be a market........

hpulley
06-22-2011, 05:23 AM
RA-4 works great at body temperature! :laugh:

lxdude
06-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Which is probably exactly what Brad is after as a one-off art project...

One-off, indeed...

wildbillbugman
06-25-2011, 08:13 PM
There might be another use for the Dye Tranfer processw here. I actualy did think about this, several weeks ago. But there are already too many instences where I get AgNO3 under my nitryl gloves!
Bill