PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Film and Digital Capture by Rob Hummel at Cine Gear Expo 2011

Pages : [1] 2

georg16nik
07-07-2011, 06:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98FZ8C6HneE
Some positive vibes :cool:

tomalophicon
07-07-2011, 06:45 PM
'Film is the best'.
'Film's gone, it's gonna go away'.
Is he embarrassed by what he's saying? :)

georg16nik
07-07-2011, 06:50 PM
nope, 'film is cool' ;)

btaylor
07-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Interesting additional videos to browse as well, some of the discussions on format choices are worth viewing, especially if you are a fan of 2.40:1 wide screen. One thing you'll notice about all the panelists is that they're old. Young cinematographers know almost nothing about recording on film, most don't know how the cameras operate when face to face with one. It has a different on-set tone too, as digital capture allows the camera to run and run. I think we'll really be in trouble when digital projection takes over. Once the prints stop being struck there won't be enough mp film being produced and processed to justify the relatively small amount used during actual television or motion picture production.

Gerald C Koch
07-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Thank you for this very informative post. Now I know why I don't like digital. Maybe if more people saw this presentation they would go out and buy film.

tomalophicon
07-07-2011, 07:49 PM
According to a mate doing some work with them, our small town cinema is getting a digi projector in 2 weeks. Our town has only 20,000 people. It won't be long till film is gone in cinemas.

AlbertZeroK
07-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Loved it.

BetterSense
07-07-2011, 09:04 PM
It seems like there should be more...is there a part II or something?

Aristophanes
07-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Watch the vid on YouTube and read some of the intelligent comments about the presentation and its facts. His facts are somewhat slanted.

semi-ambivalent
07-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I think an interesting point one of the speakers made was digital's succeptability (sp!) to file format changes. My very nerd co-workers dismiss this with a casual 'just copy it over' as if that solves everything. But how many people can even read a 5 1/4" floppy? It's not just the format but the devices to mount, copy and store. 5 1/4" floppies aren't even that old if you look at time as I was raised to look at it. People lose really important stuff all the time, even when they *know* they should make backups. (And yes, I know about that 15 year old file you have on the IBM-pc2 you have in your basement. I also know about the thousands of new disks that fail every year in Google's clusters.)

Personally I don't really care if the three Star Wars prequels go poof but what I see is a culture accepting (or being groomed to accept) all products as ever more temporary. From the now worthless digital camera dumped on Craigslist to the wireless sprinkler system rain sensor with the non-changable batteries. Things designed and built with longevity in mind are in many circles deemed old fashioned or over-built. Those are pejoratives these days. Over-built is defined of course as whatever decreases repeat sales of replacement product in the next quarter.

It's hard not to be impressed, for example, by 25M+ pixels and so forth, but the turnover rate of such things disturbs me. I like the shiny too, but it's like, as Auden said, something is trying to scratch its way into my brain. Maybe just a bad curry...

georg16nik
07-08-2011, 02:36 AM
@btaylor - Yes, KODAK Motion Picture Film channel on Youtube got some other great videos!
btw: in Europe, motion film is strong. It looks like they are trying first to rip-off the US with dig†it†all™ projectors. Not that recently there are some good movies worth going to...lol
@Gerald C Koch - glad You liked it, I though the same as You, so, lets hope more people get to see this video.
@tomalophicon - have some faith, its obvious they are pushing it. Those who are feminine might open their legs for the new slack.
@AlbertZeroK - Same here!
@BetterSense - lets hope there is part 2, the vid was posted last week, so there might be part 2.
@Aristophanes - intelligent comments on Youtube? I liked the joke ;)
@semi-ambivalent - there is no such thing as 25M+ pixels - its all marketing fluffy. The average consumer, in his own mind.. is invincible, so they fall for everything...lol

georg16nik
07-08-2011, 05:50 AM
KODAK Motion Picture Film Youtube channel is something new, from Feb 2011 but its full of great stuff :whistling:
I am not sure if You guys have seen the Oscars report called Digital Dilemma.
heres a link to the pdf http://www.artmob.ca/files/pdf-stc_digital_dilemma.pdf
The pdf can also be downloaded from the Oscars website but You need a registration, so here You have it a click away. ;)

Jeff Kubach
07-08-2011, 06:40 AM
I like that video, good information!

Jeff

benjiboy
07-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Fascinating, it makes me even less interested in buying digital equipment than I was alrerady.

Terrence Brennan
07-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Excellent video.

Diapositivo
07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Nice video but, as far as I know, there is a yellow filter between the blue layer(s) and the underlying layer(s) so saying that there are no filters in a film is probably not correct. Anybody can confirm or deny?

It's interesting to see that Kodak remembers they are a film producers and they need to bring people to film.

I think the speaker says that film is going to go away because Kodak doesn't want to appear to investors as relying on film for its future.

Fabrizio

brucemuir
07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
I think an interesting point one of the speakers made was digital's succeptability (sp!) to file format changes. My very nerd co-workers dismiss this with a casual 'just copy it over' as if that solves everything. But how many people can even read a 5 1/4" floppy? It's not just the format but the devices to mount, copy and store. 5 1/4" floppies aren't even that old if you look at time as I was raised to look at it. People lose really important stuff all the time, even when they *know* they should make backups. (And yes, I know about that 15 year old file you have on the IBM-pc2 you have in your basement. I also know about the thousands of new disks that fail every year in Google's clusters.)

take a look at this http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/01/sunday/main4836569.shtml

georg16nik
07-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Fabrizio, I was not sure about the filters either.
Bruce, thats a good one, I have it in my bookmarks back then in 2009 ;)
This one is part 1 of 9 and in good spirit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJsgfTEzro

brucemuir
07-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Yes,
that CBSnews vid is rather lame but it brings up important issues that cannot be ignored.

Aristophanes
07-08-2011, 01:05 PM
This one is pretty funny too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ycBxKiGyYo&feature=player_detailpage