PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Emulsion/Matrix Film?

wildbillbugman
07-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Hi,
I have noticed that my emulsions with silaneated PVA show positive relief, even after weeks of drying on glass. I am wondering if it would be worth my time to try it out as a matrix "film" for Dye Transfer.
Bill

holmburgers
08-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Bill,

Not sure how I missed this. Give it a shot! Curious to know a bit more about this actually...

For a rough a dirty test you could use some textile dyes; acid dyes or the Procion reactive dyes.

wildbillbugman
08-23-2011, 04:18 PM
holmburgers,
Me will give this a shot! Me have some dry dyes that me purchased many moons ago for this very purpose. Currently, me am not as interested in Dye Transfer as me is in Carbon Transfer. But me be interested in all processes, especialy old processes to which me can give a little twist.
Sorry: Me dreamed of Haiti last night.(Pre-Earthquake Haiti)

holmburgers
08-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Methinks you crazy Bill! :laugh: :laugh:

Word on the street is that Kodak's matrix film had some unique polymers in it; not just pure gelatin. (or perhaps it was collagen I'm thinking of?)

Are the raised relief portions areas of high silver content; high-lights on the negative?

I'm thinking that since there was no etch, you might be dealing with more of a Pinatype/planographic-matrix situation, where you have a differential of tanned & untanned gelatin, as opposed to a true relief matrix where you only have tanned gelatin and the untanned has been etched away. If that's the case then you might find that your dyes don't allow for clean highlights.

But, this is all hypothesizing!