PDA

View Full Version : Share of cinema 3D sales falls below 50% according to The Economist

Pages : 1 2 [3]

SkipA
07-27-2011, 05:51 PM
So far, I haven't seen any 3D projection that didn't give me a headache and turn my stomach.

Alan Johnson
07-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Mustafa,

It looks like Hollywood technology is moving to India:

http://www.digitalcinemareport.com/Bollywood-Rhythm%2526Hues-Technicolor-PostLogic-Nvidia

MDR
07-27-2011, 07:06 PM
cinema projection and the number of purely digital cinemas in China is rising (http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjournal/content_display/columns-and-blogs/european-update/e3i6eec7fec77eb723a708959c9c5246252 and http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118038651?refcatid=13&printerfriendly=true)
India isn't immune to the digital Virus either and has more than 5000 Digital Cinemas (http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/indian-cinema-goes-digital-in-its-own-way)
The Iran believe it or not is one of the strongholds of classic Moviemaking using Film. I wonder if they use Fuji or Kodak Film

Diapositivo
07-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Mustafa,

It looks like Hollywood technology is moving to India:

http://www.digitalcinemareport.com/Bollywood-Rhythm%2526Hues-Technicolor-PostLogic-Nvidia

From what I gather from this article, it is the special-effect-post-processing-animation industry which is gaining ground in Bollywood, the Hollywood-style production side of the industry. No mention of the projection side, the cinema theatres, converting to digital India - and I hope they remain analogue forever.

Steve Roberts
07-28-2011, 07:24 AM
As most Hollywood produced films seem to require multiple car chases and explosions, 3D seems ideal. For movies made outside of Hollywood which rely on actual stories, I don't see any benefit.

I think 3D for movies is the equivalent of quadrophonic sound for hi-fi.

Steve.

What he said!
The films I've enjoyed the most I have done so because of the story, not effects, 3D, surround sound or even colour!

Steve

jnanian
07-28-2011, 08:46 AM
i feel the worst for the projectionists than anything else ..
it used to be you went to a movie and there was someone
who knew what they were doing to get the movie on the screen
so you could see it ... now like everything else ... it is high-tech
and less human intervention.
the coffee industry is the same way ... it used to be when you ordered
a drink at a specialty coffee shop a person would make it
now they just push a button and deliver it.:pouty:

i've seen some of the 3D movies in the past year ..
it didn't give me a headache or nausea ... it was just subtle DOF
which really didn't make the film ( IMHO ) worth the extra $
to produce or view.

MattKing
07-28-2011, 12:35 PM
I would be interested to see a movie in 3D that isn't explosions and car chases and the like.

Something that is interesting in itself - plot, characters, imagery.

Something like "The King's Speech", which I found interesting and interesting to look at.

Just to see whether I would notice the 3D, and whether it might add some subtle benefits that wouldn't obviously occur to me ahead of time.

faustotesta
07-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Movie enthusiasts will still be enjoying some of the classic B&W productions long after most 3D films are forgotten.

Just because technology exists to do something new, doesn't always mean it's necessarily "better". I think we APUG people know this already. ;)

Young Frankenstein, just to mention a masterpiece.

Steve Smith
07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
It would be nice to hear from someone who has just been to see a 3D movie describing the story rather than commenting on how good (or bad) the special effects are. It's a bit like HDR images. If you can tell it's HDR, it has been overdone.

Steve.

faustotesta
07-28-2011, 01:08 PM
It would be nice to hear from someone who has just been to see a 3D movie describing the story rather than commenting on how good (or bad) the special effects are. It's a bit like HDR images. If you can tell it's HDR, it has been overdone.

Steve.

Mi niece, who is 19 yrs old, has seen Harry Potter in 3D. I asked her what was the film like. She told me very little about the story. On the contrary spent a lot of time describing how poor was image quality and how "unconfortable" is 3D in general.

dnjl
07-31-2011, 09:27 AM
One of the main incentives behind the 3D craze was combating illegal downloading of movies. 3D hardware is very expensive and has not yet penetrated home entertainment. The movie industry had high hopes for 3D to be some sort of "pirate-killer", because 3D cannot be pirated effectively. Alas, it seems that people prefer to download 2D rather than pay 15$ or more to watch a release in 3D.

Visionist
08-01-2011, 08:53 AM
I've never really liked 3D movie's to be honest, I find it rather gimmicky and I'm sure other feel the same.

holmburgers
08-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Did anyone ever see the Hubble 3D movie? That looked interesting, and had a lot of "real-life" 3D shooting, and of course, astronomy.

Mustafa Umut Sarac
08-01-2011, 12:48 PM
NASA , They told us 60 years , they will build a base at moon , now they will tell us 100 years , they will build a base at Mars. All is bullshit.

BetterSense
08-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Has anyone posted these yet?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/miscellaneous/e9b4/

Apparently it was an april fool's joke, but due to popular demand they made it an actual product.

Diapositivo
08-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Not an april fool joke. In this kind of 3D there are two images which are polarized in a different way. 3D glasses use polarization to show to each eye only one image. If you look a 3D film without glasses, both eyes are going to see both images, that's not to be comfy. This glass has the same polarization for both eyes, so you can see a 3D in 2D, both eyes see only one (the same) image of the two which are projected.

This presupposes you have money to waste and you really like your friends. Otherwise you could just go to a conventional movie screen. Some people would feel "asocial" if they singled themselves out going to a different projection room, or a different cinema. The solution is simple but brilliant :)

BetterSense
08-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I myself have converted regular theater glasses to 2D by turning one of the lenses 180 degrees and appyling tape. It might be worth trying if you need to D3D something but you don't want to buy the 2D glasses from ThinkGeek.

Steve Smith
08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
I myself have converted regular theater glasses to 2D by turning one of the lenses 180 degrees

Wouldn't it need to be turned ninety degrees?

Steve.

BrianL
08-02-2011, 03:26 PM
3D is more of a fad than moving pictures. I think both are a flash in the pan. Heck, you exchange your imagination for a visual effect some profit hungry guy decides on. For my, it is still old time radio for my entertainment. I can think, be challenged, be entertained, not get headaches and save the big bucks.

I think holographic projection is the real wave of advancement. The basics have been around for some years but the technology is still too crude to make the impact. When it gets there, we can just buy holosuites instead of home theaters. Add AI and we can step into the production. Okay Scottie, one to beam up.