PDA

View Full Version : In need of a parts Bessa R

Eric Rose
08-10-2011, 05:54 PM
A buddy of mine dropped his Bessa R and broke off the rewind crank. So, guess what I'm looking for.....

If you can help that would be amazing. He loves the camera but Cameraquest quoted a stupid dollar amount to fix this thing.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

John Koehrer
08-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Will they sell the shaft & crank?
The knob unscrews and the shaft drops out. There may be a small washer or two on top.

Eric Rose
08-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Nope. Tried that.

mgb74
08-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Well that's certainly a disincentive to consider a Bessa.

Eric Rose
08-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Well that's certainly a disincentive to consider a Bessa.

Try and buy a part from Leica. Don't think you would get to far either.

Andrew K
08-11-2011, 12:13 AM
try contacting these guys - I've always found them to be pretty reasonable to deal with:

http://www.mainlinephoto.com.au/

or try some of the other international dealers:

http://www.cosina.co.jp/kaigai/index.html

if he only broke the knob, and the shaft is fine, then he should be able to find another rewind knob that will fit...I would try a newish Cosina or Vivitar or Ricoh SLR (plastic body one) - I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the SLR part fits the Bessa (sorry - it's been years since I've seen a Bessa)

benjiboy
08-11-2011, 04:30 AM
Generally speaking camera manufacturers will only sell spare parts to the official importers, and approved repairers.

mgb74
08-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Try and buy a part from Leica. Don't think you would get to far either.

I was reacting more to "Cameraquest quoted a stupid dollar amount to fix this thing". With most brands, there are various options for repair. Not sure whether those options exist for Bessa.

Eric Rose
08-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I was reacting more to "Cameraquest quoted a stupid dollar amount to fix this thing". With most brands, there are various options for repair. Not sure whether those options exist for Bessa.

True enough. I wasn't too impressed with Gandy's support or lack thereof.