View Full Version : NE OH Gathering: September: 30, October 1-2, 2011

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

mat4226
09-08-2011, 07:39 PM
I'll remember to bring a good 2 or 3 ground cloths with me this time around. :p

Looking forward to seeing everyone again, and maybe even some new faces. ^_^

djkloss
09-08-2011, 08:06 PM
I heard hay works good for soaking up the water :)

jp80874
09-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I heard hay works good for soaking up the water :)

....and feeding horses, but I imagine Dolly's mother will not be happy if you go down to her barn for the hay. Fresh hay soaks up water and holds it to assist in chilling your bones. Used hay and straw that comes out of her barn after going through the horses is much warmer.

John

AnselAdamsX
09-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm going to make the trek. I'll bring my 4x5 and 8x10. The falls look nice. Anyone have photos of the churches?

Chris

jp80874
09-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm going to make the trek. I'll bring my 4x5 and 8x10. The falls look nice. Anyone have photos of the churches?

Chris

Welcome Chris. Glad you are coming.

I have some 16x20 prints of two of the churches, but no scans for here. Sorry. Three guys from the Midwest LF Asylum took pictures of the churches, but if they are posted on the forum they are only available to members.

Please bring some of your work for show and tell.

John

jp80874
09-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Anyone have photos of the churches?

Chris

Here are some bad ones from google search.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/b-cat/4024652308/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjebie/3276320581/
http://www.peninsulahistory.org/bronson-church/

djkloss
09-08-2011, 10:16 PM
....and feeding horses, but I imagine Dolly's mother will not be happy if you go down to her barn for the hay. Fresh hay soaks up water and holds it to assist in chilling your bones. Used hay and straw that comes out of her barn after going through the horses is much warmer.

John

:confused:

Charlie Wheelihan
09-09-2011, 03:49 AM
John, I think the "recycled" hay of which you speak, being used as a base would also make a great start for a garden next year!

jp80874
09-09-2011, 07:30 AM
John, I think the "recycled" hay of which you speak, being used as a base would also make a great start for a garden next year!

Since everyone in Dollyís family except me is a horseback rider, it was thought that the only reason they allowed me to marry her was that at the time I was a gardener.

You no doubt have heard those horror stories about the suitor who pretends interest in some important family commitment, well here he is. They thought it was a match made in Heaven. We had same brand, similar model tractors and rototillers. What a disappointment. We both got tired of the work and back pain.

You all camp where once there was a good sized garden filled with horse by product. We raised some of the best rabbits, ground hogs and raccoons I have seen. I darn near ran out of ammunition.

Farmer John

daleeman
09-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Time is getting close, I'm excited so I thought I would give this thread a bump and share what is new. I've signed up for a studio portrait class for 4x5. All images have to be done with artificial lights. So I may be looking to corner a few of you all.
Lee

jp80874
09-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Time is getting close, I'm excited so I thought I would give this thread a bump and share what is new. I've signed up for a studio portrait class for 4x5. All images have to be done with artificial lights. So I may be looking to corner a few of you all.
Lee

Good for you Lee. I'm certainly an advocate of further education. Does this mean you need space to shoot inside? If so can you describe the requirements so I can shovel some stuff to the side and make room. In the past I have done macro work in the part of the basement outside the darkroom, near the washer and drier, set up lights and stands. Will this be enough space for you? Any other requirements beside electricity. I hope you will think about doing a demo, explaining your thoughts on lighting, bring some samples of your work if you have made some prints, etc.

Thanks,

John

daleeman
09-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Hay John.
I am excited about this class. You probably do not need to clear anything out of the way, I have AC powered studio strobes, and we might try some at night, but we might also try some battery powered strobes with slaves... I'll see what I can drum up. Wish we had some 4x5 Polaroid, but I have heard that is what they invented digital cameras for is to replace Polaroids test sheets for prepping large format work. Well that is what my prof said.

djkloss
09-17-2011, 10:37 AM
I'll remember to bring a good 2 or 3 ground cloths with me this time around. :p

Looking forward to seeing everyone again, and maybe even some new faces. ^_^

Matt, I saw you on Flickr. Nice work!

mat4226
09-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Matt, I saw you on Flickr. Nice work!

Well thank you very much. I added you on Flickr as well. ^__^

Oh man, I've been rifling through so much 8x10 lately, I may need another box by the time this next meetup starts. x__x Better stock up now.

jp80874
09-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Hay John.
I am excited about this class. You probably do not need to clear anything out of the way, I have AC powered studio strobes, and we might try some at night, but we might also try some battery powered strobes with slaves... .

Lee,

Enjoy the class.

Okay on not needing to set up in the basement. To help you plan your options here are the outlets available outside. The garage has been rewired recently with three circuits and many outlets. Just don’t blow the freezer and forget to tell us to reset. The patio on the pond side will accept one plug. It looks like a double, but the second one is a gfi. That may not be a good spot. The deck running along the SW side of the house has four outlets on two circuits. The street side has no outlets and lots of poison ivy. Not a good place to wander in the dark.

Remember that some local attendees go home before or just after dinner and will not be here when it is dark.

John

daleeman
09-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Lee,

Enjoy the class.

Okay on not needing to set up in the basement. To help you plan your options here are the outlets available outside. The garage has been rewired recently with three circuits and many outlets. Just donít blow the freezer and forget to tell us to reset. The patio on the pond side will accept one plug. It looks like a double, but the second one is a gfi. That may not be a good spot. The deck running along the SW side of the house has four outlets on two circuits. The street side has no outlets and lots of poison ivy. Not a good place to wander in the dark.

Remember that some local attendees go home before or just after dinner and will not be here when it is dark.

John

Hi John, never knew there was a deck on the side of the house, or maybe I saw it from my evil eye and it did not register.

In doing some portraits that qualify for this class all/major light should be from artificial sources. So if things get close to dusk without being in dinner's way We could do some strobes. Certainy do not want to get in the way of supper time, I'll be thrown into the pond.

Lee

jp80874
09-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Lee,

I donít know about your evil eye. The deck is roughly 41 feet long and varies from 6 to 10 feet wide. Stairs to ground level and a bay window cause the variations. The outlets are 15 feet apart. We have several 50 and 100 foot medium use extension cords. What is the electrical load on the lights?

You don't want to be thrown in the pond. Savannah and Cindy will spend all night dragging you out and encouraging your wife to throw you back.

Sunset today is 7:28 PM, long after we usually go to dinner. The basement can be dark all day. Dolly usually does her laundry on the weekend and might need to walk by to the washer and dryer once or twice.

Probably this is as good a time as any to remind guests that the 11x13 foot darkroom is available during hours that I am awake to load film holders or for camera emergencies.

John

jp80874
09-20-2011, 05:36 PM
In post 37 I mention a Civil War exhibit we might visit at the Canton Art Museum if we have rain. Today I learned about a photography exhibit at Akron Univ. That exhibit would be on a direct route to the Canton one.

My favorite professor curates this show. Here is the promo piece.

September 12 - October 22, 2011
Photo Fictions:
Staged, Constructed, and Altered Images
Exhibition Curator: Penny Rakoff_

Photographers have always understood that photographs
possess intrinsic authenticity in the mind of the viewer.
Contemporary artists, seizing upon this phenomenon, take
delight in creating their own realities. Manipulation of the
image can occur at many stages, from constructing or directing
the scene, whether taken in the landscape or in the studio, to
technical manipulation on the computer or in the darkroom.
This work is diverse in style, ranges from monumental to small
scale and incorporates various processes.

The photographs in this exhibit come primarily from the
Northeast Ohio collections of Fred and Laura Bidwell and John
C. Williams. Additional works are from the collections of Mark
Soppeland and Barbara Tannenbaum, The Akron Art Museum,
William S. Lipscomb, and from artists Carl Toth, Mary Jo Toles,
and Barry Underwood.

(Note: the Bidwells have a huge modern collection and have built a photographic wing on the new Akron Art Museum. Barbara Tannenbaum has just left the Akron Art Museum after 27 year to become the Photography curator for the Cleveland Museum of Art.)

Photographers
Thomas Allen
Julie Blackmon
Christopher Bucklow
Kelli Connell
Denis Darzacq
Adam Fuss
Lynn Geesaman
Simen Johan
Doug Keyes
Laura Letinsky
Loretta Lux
Lori Nix
Luis Gonzalez Palma
Deb Pinter
Angelika Rinnhofer
Allison Rossiter
Cindy Sherman
Lauren Simonutti
Sandy Skoglund
Amy Stein
Ruth Thorne-Thomsen
Mary Jo Toles
Carl Toth
Barry Underwood
William Wegman
Kehinde Wiley

Emily Davis Gallery
Myers School of Art
(330) 972-6030
www.uakron.edu/art
150 E. Exchange Street
Akron, OH 44325

Nicholas Lindan
09-22-2011, 01:26 PM
It looks like I will be able to make it to this gathering. My sister will be visiting aged relative that week & end ...

I do have a 12 week-old puppy that won't like being left alone for several days, though, so I will have to bring him with me. He's socialized and sociable, and house trained.

jp80874
09-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Nick,

Glad to read you are coming.
Lets formally introduce the Girls to the puppy this time outside the house and hope it goes better than last time. I think the Girls felt threatened seeing your dog inside while they were outside. But then one is never sure what is going on in their heads.

John