PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering: September: 30, October 1-2, 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

jp80874
10-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Thank you all for coming. Thank you for being such good sports about the rain. Thank you few who were left on Sunday for enjoying the farm equipment museum. I think it holds great possibilities for future events.

These events are really working out as I hoped they might. If we can have that much fun in such bad weather (3/4 of and inch of rain in one day), I think we are on the way to making this event work. It takes practice, practice, practice, so I guess we will continue to have them.

Thanks for making it happen.

John, Dolly & the Girls

jp80874
10-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Mat, by all means, please plan a demo for the next event. Not sure when the next event will be. What is the two days of medications about? I wasn’t aware that you were sick, but then I was pretty busy providing cold meds for Dolly.

Jeff and any other locals, please let me know when you are going to shoot at Fry's. If I am available, I'd love to join you, see how you see images, listen to your ideas about exposures, enjoy the cider while it lasts.

John

mat4226
10-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Mat, by all means, please plan a demo for the next event. Not sure when the next event will be. What is the two days of medications about? I wasn’t aware that you were sick, but then I was pretty busy providing cold meds for Dolly.

I didn't know either until Sunday night/Monday morning. Doctor says its a nasty bacterial infection. A few more days of rest and a short break away from the 8x10 should do the trick.

As far as the demo is concerned, it will probably be limited to negatives that I'm used to printing on carbon. Everybody bringing their own negatives to print would be a logistical nightmare. x__x

jp80874
10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Hope you feel better soon.

Mat,

Definitely use your own negatives. You would have no control over a random supply of negatives. I would hazard the guess, that most of us don’t know what is a good negative for carbon printing. That might be a good place to start your explanation.

John

ic-racer
10-04-2011, 08:30 PM
As far as the demo is concerned, it will probably be limited to negatives that I'm used to printing on carbon. Everybody bringing their own negatives to print would be a logistical nightmare. x__x

Maybe you could demonstrate like they do on the cooking shows. Like they show how to mix up some gelatin and say to 'let it sit over night' and then they pull some out from under the counter that was made the day before and continue, etc.

jp80874
10-04-2011, 09:08 PM
“….but wait, for $19.95 we will send you two whiz bang whasits, not one. Just pay separate shipping and handling for each order.”

htimsdj
10-05-2011, 10:49 AM
"Call now!"

“….but wait, for $19.95 we will send you two whiz bang whasits, not one. Just pay separate shipping and handling for each order.”

jp80874
10-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Peter and I played hooky this afternoon, went shooting at the farm, had cider and pies. Life can be good.

Peter Spangenberg
10-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Developed today's film and I'm convinced it's impossible to take a bad picture at "the farm".

mat4226
10-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Developed today's film and I'm convinced it's impossible to take a bad picture at "the farm".

My thoughts exactly! Just processed my 8x10's from the trip, and man oh man, that place is a gold mine!

djkloss
10-07-2011, 04:49 PM

hey! that's my line! everytime I take an order it's only $9.95 for shipping and the bonus is free! just pay $9.95 processing! :)

Peter Spangenberg
10-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Here's a link to some of the early prints from "the farm" in a Facebook album. Can't wait to go back.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.302443976437480.101267.100000156402186&type=1

Jeff Bannow
10-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Looks like a great place - sorry we missed it. Hopefully we will all be invited back soon.

jp80874
10-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Looks like a great place - sorry we missed it. Hopefully we will all be invited back soon.

I was thinking we would wait until the spring and warmer weather to have another event. The only exception I can remember is 2-3 years ago when we had 13 of us gather for a Jan-Feb show at the Cleveland Museum of Art, and a Chinese lunch.

Is there interest in cold weather gatherings? Historically we haven’t had much or any snow until after the first of the year.

What are your thoughts? Would anyone want to camp?

John

htimsdj
10-13-2011, 11:42 AM
John -
I am always interested in a gathering, whether its a formal event, or just a few of us. I do understand the practical and logistic problems of a cold weather meeting.

I am always thinking of new photography subjects, so perhaps there are different things to do in the winter. When the lake freezes, there are always interesting ice features to photograph along Lake Erie. Perhaps a trip back to the Flats would be fun - its pretty desolate in the warm weather - the cold would make it seem more uninviting. There is always University Circle with many different types of buildings for the architecture lovers. And although I haven't ventured much in to the CVNP in the frozen months, I'm sure there are many opportunities there.

Jeff

Jeff Bannow
10-13-2011, 02:57 PM
We'd be up for a winter gathering, and would probably bring the teardrop trailer too. We could park it in the driveway though - we wouldn't need anywhere special to sleep.

djkloss
10-13-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm still recovering from the bronchitus I got sleeping in the rain, and I can't spend any more money (we seem to eat a lot ;) so I may have to pass on this one, unless I came down for one day. We'll see how the response is.

Shawn Dougherty
10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
As always I would like to come but won't be able to commit until last minute (assuming I haven't been voted out of the group in my absence!).

Peter Spangenberg
10-14-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm local, so I can make it pretty much anytime.

daleeman
10-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Is there interest in cold weather gatherings? Historically we haven’t had much or any snow until after the first of the year.

John

Hocking hills is great in the ice and cold!

We also hope to go to Detroit to see the Rembrandt paintings in Jan, weekend of the 15th I believe. Love to come to Bath, Ohio any time.

Stand by for Ricketts Glen photos, it was wonderful. We had some east coast Apugs hook up and we saw the greatest waterfalls in Pa. I've never seen anything like it. Good food, crazy photographers and so much rain the day before, the falls were Busting with water. Wish you all could been there.

Lee