PDA

View Full Version : Portraits/Debut

Stephan K.
09-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi,
I am from Wuerzburg, Germany and I came by for some additional Information about Caffenol.

I shot the portraits below with my Hasselblad 500 CM some weeks ago on Fuji Acros, developed in Diafine.

I hope the portraits are accepted for my debut in the APUG. :)

Greetings,
Stephan

CGW
09-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Nice work. Hopefully you can shoot her again. My only real criticism is the gawdawful, distracting background. She deserves better.

brucemuir
09-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Keep shooting her.
This model has potential.

Was that the 150 sonnar by chance?

Stephan K.
09-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Hmm, is the background really so bad and distracting? I already used aperture 4 or 5.6 .

bruce: How do you know? :blink: Yes, it was the 150 Sonnar.

CGW
09-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Hmm, is the background really so bad and distracting? I already used aperture 4 or 5.6 .

bruce: How do you know? :blink: Yes, it was the 150 Sonnar.

Yes. it is. Though not so bad in the first 3/4s shot(still some horizontal lines bisecting her), the background in the second head+shoulders is really problematic--uneven separation between her hair and the dark background and odd shaped areas too close her head and torso. They pull your eye away--always my definition of "distracting."

Stephan K.
09-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Ok, thanks for your explanation CGW!

The next time I will pay more attention to the background.

stillsilver
09-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Keep at it and welcome to the forum.

Mike

MattKing
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Welcome to APUG.

I like the shots, but agree with CGW about the backgrounds.

And while it is important to be aware of the entire field of view, you do seem to have a good eye for the foreground, so there is lots of reason to keep experimenting.

Klainmeister
09-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the forum, and what a lovely city you are from! I spent some time there about 5 years ago and loved it....great place, great people.

I agree with the background critic, but the model has some serious potential.

Stephan K.
09-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for your comments!

After the "semester break" (which means no holidays) I will have more time and try to get some experiences in a professional photostudio. Here in Wuerzburg I can rent one. Then the distracting background shouldn't be a problem. :)

Sure, Wuerzburg is nice, and here are many places to take pictures from.

Klainmeister, did you worked there or were you on holiday?

Greetings,
Stephan