PDA

View Full Version : Alt process print exchange?--#1

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

reellis67
10-23-2005, 12:08 AM
I would participate. I'm doing some 4x5 alt process work (mostly cyanotype and Kallitype right now but more soon!) and would love to exchange some prints. Let me know what you need to get this rolling.

- Randy

Ole
10-23-2005, 02:58 AM
I'd like to be in too - I do cyanotypes and van Dykes mostly, with a little POP and salt print thrown in.

nze
10-23-2005, 03:47 AM
Hi all

I will be interested too , depending on the end date and the number to print.

CarlRadford
10-23-2005, 06:47 AM
I have pm'd Mateo as this was his thread but would be happy to help with the organisation. How about a mid Nov date for cut-off to join and prints to be exchanged by mid December to miss the xmas crush?

All the best, Carl

Peter Schrager
10-23-2005, 07:15 AM
I will contribute to this endeavor
Peter

CarlRadford
10-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi Folks,

So far we have:

Peter Schrager
Christian Nze
Ole Tjugen
Randy
Mateo
John Brewer
David Goldfard
Carl Radford

Art ?

and the others that had wanted in on the exchange I have pm'd. I suggest that between 12-15 or it starts getting out of hand. I suggest that once we are up to the limit then we exchange addresses and are each responsible for sending our own prints out so that someone doesn't take on the burden of being the hub unless that is how folks want to do it.

All the best, Carl

mark
10-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Is POP considered an Alt Process? Or is this limited to processes that involve hand coating?

CarlRadford
10-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Someone will answer I've no doubt as I'm am not sure on this?

mark
10-23-2005, 03:42 PM
If it is, I would like to join. Living in the sticks I am not able to see a lot of alt processes. This would be a good way to get a goos sampleing.

gr82bart
10-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Art ?Sure. What the heck.

Art.

CarlRadford
10-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi Folks,

So far we have:

Peter Schrager
Christian Nze
Ole Tjugen
Randy
Mateo
John Brewer
David Goldfard
Carl Radford
Art

Mark - if POP is considered alt process?

3-5 places left!!!

nze
10-23-2005, 04:27 PM
I consider POP as alt/

John_Brewer
10-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Is POP considered an Alt Process?
I consider it so.

J

Mateo
10-23-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm open for anything but would recommend breaking the group up into smaller groups of perhaps 4-5 persons so that we don't all have to send out 12-15 prints. That way the list can be open ended until cutoff date when the groups are randomly chosen.

Also, we will at some point need to specify exactly what meets the criteria for alt process prints. I don't like to exclude anybody but at some point we will lose the whole purpose of the exchange if everything from lith prints to Azo prints to enlargements made with a nylon stockings under the lens are included. I would personally like to include POP as the one gentleman was inquiring but we would need to all be in agreement.

Here's a list of which processes I would think should be included.

Platinum/Palladium
Carbon/Carbro
Cyanotype
Gum Bichromate
Van Dyke/Kallitype
POP
Albumen
Salt prints
Bromoil
Photogravure

And if we have some crazy people out there:

Copper prints
Chrysotypes
Uranium prints

photomc
10-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Interested, but could not get the 12-14 prints in the time frame mentioned. If broken down into smaller groups count me in. Sounds like fun, there are some really good printers listed here, so not sure the work is up to it...but more than willing to give it my best.

Uranium prints, huh Mateo...seems like I know a guy who does those..... ;)

donbga
10-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Just wondering if there would be any interest in a print exchange centered on alternative processes. For those of us in the learning stages, nothing could be better than to see how the prints of others look. With technical info included it would be even more so helpful. Since most people figure things out on smaller negatives we could keep the cost of shipping down and maybe go with small groups as done in the regular print exchange.

Also, by alt process I guess I'm refering to contact printing process. Not to be exclusionary toward anyone. But it would probably help keep the comparisons in the apples to apples region.

Any interest?
Would alternative process prints made from digital negatives be acceptable? I wouldn't mind exchanging with 4 or 5 people in a group. Currently I'm printing tri-colored gums made from digital negs.

Don Bryant

mark
10-23-2005, 08:57 PM
I missed the 12-15 prints. No way I could get time to pump those off. Half that is doable. I think groups of four woul be much better for me. But I am flexible.

nze
10-24-2005, 02:38 AM
Don,I also accept alt print from digital negative. and even POP made from digital negative

But what will be the end date????
Let's go for 4-5 groups but if the gtoup is limited to 12-15 just count me in each group

Ole
10-24-2005, 03:47 AM
I too would prefer smaller groups instead of trying to get 12-15 good prints in the time available.

And I don't mind prints from a digital negative, despite my tagline :)

gr82bart
10-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Ummm...I don't think it states in any of the posts that we have to make 12-15 prints. In fact the one post that does list the 'requirements' clearly states, the particpants will be broken into groups of 4-5 people.

I'm open for anything but would recommend breaking the group up into smaller groups of perhaps 4-5 persons so that we don't all have to send out 12-15 prints. That way the list can be open ended until cutoff date when the groups are randomly chosen.

Am I reading something wrong here?

Regards, Art.