PDA

View Full Version : Alt process print exchange?--#1

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

reellis67
10-24-2005, 07:57 AM
I think you've got it right Art. Mateo stated small groups (4-5) so that the exchange could be more flexible and people would not have to make so many prints. His idea sounds kind of like the group print exchange to me, which would be great. The 14-15 number came from an estimate on the total group size earlier on in the thread.

- Randy (Ellis)

Joe Lipka
10-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Count me in on this one if the requirement is to make 4 or 5 copies. Any more it gets to be like work.

Jeremy
10-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Count me in on this one if the requirement is to make 4 or 5 copies. Any more it gets to be like work.

Ditto. I could do a small run, but 12-15 copies is a little much for my schedule at the moment.

CarlRadford
10-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Hi Folks,

I have been conversing with Mateo away from the thread and the idea of groups of 4-5 sounds good and that way we can leave the cut-off date for joining as mid Nov - in fact shall we say 14 Nov and prints due to arrive at by mid December hopefully avoiding most of the rush! Groups sorted out by names in a hat and picked by my good lady wife unless someone has a better option and everyone being responsible for sending on their prints to others in their group. If someone wants to be in more than one group then that should be ok too?! Mateos list to be used as what constitutes an alt print - or have some slipped through the net!?

So far we have:

Peter Schrager
Christian Nze
Ole Tjugen
Randy Ellis
Mateo
John Brewer x2
David Goldfarb
Carl Radford
Art
Mark
Don Bryant
Mike C
Joe Lipka
Jeremy Moore
Aggie ?
Alan
Gerhard
DoughOwk

All the best, Carl

Aggie
10-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Is that Nov. 14th for a sign up or to have the pics done by? If it is to sign up, I can make that date. I just have to tear through a few more boxes to find some more stuff.

John_Brewer
10-24-2005, 11:49 AM
If someone wants to be in more than one group then that should be ok too?!

All the best, Carl

I'd quite like to be in two groups if that's OK :)

J

nze
10-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi Folks,

in fact shall we say 14 Nov and prints due to arrive at by mid December hopefully avoiding most of the rush! Groups sorted out by names in a hat and picked by my good lady wife unless someone has a better option and

All the best, Carl

Aggie , the shipping date is mid december.
So if the end date is mid december I prefer to join only one group , Ihave to much printing work in december and I will just find the time to make 4-5 print for the trading. but I wil be please to make another exchange in january with those intersted in

MenacingTourist
10-24-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm going to throw in as well if I may. Cyanotypes and VDB are perfect for me since I won't have a proper darkroom for quite some time. That process also seems to be more my speed.

Alan.

CarlRadford
10-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Names have been added to the earlier post to save me posting everytime someone joins in. Good response so far - looking forward to it!!

doughowk
10-24-2005, 06:12 PM
I'd like to contribute Bromoils from 8X10 contact prints. Haven't yet gotten into the other alt processes previously mentioned, but seeing others work should spur me on.

David A. Goldfarb
10-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Okay, I've got a custard chilling for a couple of batches of French vanilla ice cream.

That's six more egg whites for the albumen jar.

gbock
10-24-2005, 09:43 PM
I'd love to be part of this, too. Sounds like a great way to collect other people's work. I would make 4x5" platinum/palladium prints for the group.

Gerhard
www.contactprintersguild.com

Allen Friday
10-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I would like to get in on the exchange. I do pl/pt and would be very interested in seeing examples of bromoil, Van Dyke, kallitypes and gum.

I live in the sticks, so it is difficult to find examples of well made prints using alt processes. Great idea.

Allen Friday

gr82bart
10-25-2005, 06:03 PM
This is a terrific turnout. Keep'em coming!

Art.

gandolfi
10-25-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm open for anything but would recommend breaking the group up into smaller groups of perhaps 4-5 persons so that we don't all have to send out 12-15 prints. That way the list can be open ended until cutoff date when the groups are randomly chosen.

Also, we will at some point need to specify exactly what meets the criteria for alt process prints. I don't like to exclude anybody but at some point we will lose the whole purpose of the exchange if everything from lith prints to Azo prints to enlargements made with a nylon stockings under the lens are included. I would personally like to include POP as the one gentleman was inquiring but we would need to all be in agreement.

Here's a list of which processes I would think should be included.

Platinum/Palladium
Carbon/Carbro
Cyanotype
Gum Bichromate
Van Dyke/Kallitype
POP
Albumen
Salt prints
Bromoil
Photogravure

And if we have some crazy people out there:

Copper prints
Chrysotypes
Uranium prints

yes - crazy....

what about - oilprint.
and I have a question: Photogravure.. what DO you mean?

I do photopolymer gravures - a danish version of the old copper gravures..

I'll join, if any are interested.

jimgalli
10-25-2005, 07:53 PM
OK. This is exactly what I need to get me off my butt and back into Pt / Pd which I haven't done since '00. Wonder if the developer is still good. Looks like drain oil from the Jetta TDI. Count me in. I'll likely do 5X7's.

CarlRadford
10-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi Folks,

I have been conversing with Mateo away from the thread and the idea of groups of 4-5 sounds good and that way we can leave the cut-off date for joining as mid Nov - in fact shall we say 14 Nov and prints due to arrive at by mid December hopefully avoiding most of the rush! Groups sorted out by names in a hat and picked by my good lady wife unless someone has a better option and everyone being responsible for sending on their prints to others in their group. If someone wants to be in more than one group then that should be ok too?! Mateos list to be used as what constitutes an alt print - or have some slipped through the net!?

So far we have:

Peter Schrager
Christian Nze
Ole Tjugen
Randy Ellis
Mateo
John Brewer x2
David Goldfarb
Carl Radford
Art
Mark
Don Bryant
Mike C
Joe Lipka
Jeremy Moore
Aggie ?
Alan
Gerhard
DoughOwk
Gandolfi
Jim Galli
Matt Miller

All the best, Carl

matt miller
10-26-2005, 01:40 PM
The important thing to me is to let someone starting out in alt process see first hand how prints from someone else look. So Nige, I think the rank beginer is exactly who this is for.

I am a beginner making palladium ziatypes, with just 30 or so prints under my belt. I'd love to join this exchange if there's room. I've only seen a few (like five or six) alt process prints. I'd love to see what's possible. There just isn't anything available around here.

photomc
10-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Carl, Thanks for getting this going...it is appreciated and from the turn out and the level (from those like myself up to some well respected printers) what a great thing is getting done. Also, like the idea of 4x5 or 5x7 negatives for the most part...they tend to be much more intimate and what a great way for all of us to get to see what xxxx process looks like. You and Mateo deserve much of our Thanks.

reellis67
10-26-2005, 07:40 PM
I agree. Thanks Mateo, great idea! I'm firing up the 4x5 Korona this weekend to see what new stuff I can turn up for the exchange.

- Randy