PDA

View Full Version : Alt process print exchange?--#1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

CarlRadford
11-21-2005, 01:19 PM
"Just for the record, I also want to curse Jeremy for getting me interested in stuff and Carl for scheming up a way to actually get me to do this"

Credit goes to Mateo - this exchange was his idea, I just stirred things up a little and there was no shortage of takers. I am just looking forward to the next one and being stress free - apart from wondering what people really think about my efforts :)

gbock
11-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Oh sure. Gloat why don't you? A pox on your nose.

Art.

Art,

Sorry, I didn't mean it THAT way :-)

What I meant to say is that the chemistry I use is nothing fancy, just the normal stuff. I get my chemistry from Bostick & Sullivan, all premixed, although once I'm finished with my current supply, I will make my own pd solution because it's quite a bit cheaper that way (and thanks to a co-op purchase, I have enough pd salt to last me for a few years).

Which Photographer's Formulary kit did you get, platinum or palladium? Platinum will produce cooler tones, palladium warmer tones. What do they use as the developer? I prefer potassium oxalate because it results in even warmer tones in conjunction with palladium.

Gawd, I'm pretending to be the expert here and yet, even after four years, I'm still learning with every print I make (especially the failures).

Gerhard

gbock
11-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Today I received Gerhard Bock's 4x5 Pt/pl print. It is beautiful. Love the tones. He posted the photo in the gallery--and while it looks good in JEPG, the actual print is wonderful. It proves to me that the web cannot do justice to a really fine print.

THANK YOU!

I agree with what you said about JPGs. I find it notoriously difficult to scan pt/pd prints because the JPGs always end up contrastier AND the paper texture usually shows.

Gerhard

gbock
11-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Art, allow me to help move the curve if you will...PM me your address and I will send you one of my prints...then you can fill better. My will be no where near as nice as Gerhards...but I do agree with you his work is very, very nice...have admired it for some time now.

Mike,

Thanks!!! I feel humbled by your praise, and at the same time challenged to climb that next rung on the long ladder to pt/pd nirvana :-)

Gerhard

gr82bart
11-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Credit goes to Mateo - this exchange was his idea, I just stirred things up a little and there was no shortage of takers.Fine, I curse him too. In fact, curse you all - where's my drink?

What I meant to say is that the chemistry I use is nothing fancy, just the normal stuff. I get my chemistry from Bostick & Sullivan, all premixed, although once I'm finished with my current supply, I will make my own pd solution because it's quite a bit cheaper that wayI don't buy it Gerhard. You're shaking down the pool hall and we're all on to you! "Look at me. Nothing fancy going on here. I'm just a regular schmo that PRODUCES BRILLIANT PRINTS!" I hate you by the way.

Which Photographer's Formulary kit did you get, platinum or palladium?I bought the PT kit.

What do they use as the developer?Ferric Oxalate

Gawd, I'm pretending to be the expert here and yet, even after four years, I'm still learning with every print I makeRiiiight. Sure. I believe you. You keep saying that to yourself.

ARGH!

Regards, Art (Being driven to drink....much more now)

CarlRadford
11-21-2005, 03:37 PM
if we didn't like it hard we'd be doing digital - get a grip of yourself and get back into the darkroom, and let me know when you have all the answers - that latest 200gb overdrive maga pxel af mutli metering system is getting closer to the top of the christmas list :)

gbock
11-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Art,

In my opinion, you don't really need a deep black in a pt/pd prints. If you look at the print I sent you, the borders are deep black, but the image itself doesn't contain any black areas. What's great about pt/pd is the long scale, i.e. the fact that there are so many shades of gray that can be represented. I agree that for silver prints, a deep black is something very desirable (although personally I love high-key images with no black as well) but it's not something you must have for a pt/pd print to be successful.

Gerhard

MenacingTourist
11-21-2005, 09:02 PM
I got my print from Jim Galli today.
Holy crap I'm waaaaay out of my league here. Although I'm really excited to make my cyanotypes, this is the very first time I've done anything like this. I hope the guys in my group can find it in thier hearts to forgive my newness :)

Jim is setting the bar pretty high and I am now very motivated.

mark
11-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Okay, You folks who have your stuff in the mail already make me sick. I still can't decide on a Neg. There is something wrong with each one I have shot for this.

Maybe I can get a good one over the Thanksgiving break.

photomc
11-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Don't fret Mark, I just got lucky (or maybe all the testing Lee had me work on is starting to pay off) but I had made a negative that prints well with the Ziatypes as well as on silver. Just finished washing the last prints and they are drying. Now to get them ready to send out this weekend and in the mail. Made 20+ prints in the past 3 days, silver and alt. process...more production than I have ever had.

Jeremy
11-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Made 20+ prints in the past 3 days, silver and alt. process...more production than I have ever had.

Ditto. The problem isn't finding a print now, but deciding which one to mail out :)

The first time I have EVER had that problem!

colrehogan
11-22-2005, 06:27 AM
Okay, You folks who have your stuff in the mail already make me sick. I still can't decide on a Neg. There is something wrong with each one I have shot for this.

Maybe I can get a good one over the Thanksgiving break.

I just haven't had the time to make a print yet! GRRR!!! I have to try and do this over the weekend. Forget Christmas shopping - there will be way too many people out anyway! :D

John_Brewer
11-22-2005, 08:20 AM

I'm in the same boat Mark.

To make maters worse Carl's print arrived yesterday and Gerhard's today, i'm begining to thing i'm in the wrong league here :(

J

Ole
11-22-2005, 09:05 AM
I'm in the same boat Mark.

This boat is getting crowded :)

Aggie
11-22-2005, 09:07 AM
I have the paper coated, the negative picked out, but I want to wait and see what the latest round of 4x5's I have shot yield. I will have them printed by the end of this weekend. (I say this with my fingers firmly crossed behind my back.)

BTW I received Gerhards print yesterday, WOW. I'm with Alan and Mark I am really out of my league. I hope by doing this I can pick up some good pointers from the experts. What I received when I was taught this process can be written on a 4x6 note card. The rest was self taught.

gbock
11-22-2005, 11:45 AM
To make maters worse Carl's print arrived yesterday and Gerhard's today, i'm begining to thing i'm in the wrong league here :(

John,

Not in the least! I just stopped by your web site, and your Distortion series is fantastic. I love the concept AND the execution!

Gerhard

David A. Goldfarb
11-25-2005, 04:30 PM
I got Carl's today. I've got a neg picked out for mine and just need to order a few more supplies before I can print.

reellis67
11-26-2005, 02:48 PM
I've been having good light for printing the last few days so I am ready to print mine tomorrow. The working prints I did today turned out nice so I think I should have my final prints in the mail sometime next week...

- Randy

gbock
11-26-2005, 06:36 PM
I received Carl's print today, a pt/pd print of the Minster Church in Kent, England: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9590&cat=500&ppuser=5613 (a very good scan, in my opinion). It's an absolutely beautiful image and printed to showcase the strengths of pt/pd: a very long tonal scale with details in both the shadows and highlights. I'm very happy to have this print in my collection and I will in fact mat and frame it. Thank you, Carl!

CarlRadford
11-27-2005, 03:47 AM
and as I have said I will mount and matt in the future - using your system - still safe in the nowledge that they should arrive through the post ok!

I received Carl's print today, a pt/pd print of the Minster Church in Kent, England: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9590&cat=500&ppuser=5613 (a very good scan, in my opinion). It's an absolutely beautiful image and printed to showcase the strengths of pt/pd: a very long tonal scale with details in both the shadows and highlights. I'm very happy to have this print in my collection and I will in fact mat and frame it. Thank you, Carl!