PDA

View Full Version : Alt process print exchange?--#1

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Mateo
10-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Just wondering if there would be any interest in a print exchange centered on alternative processes. For those of us in the learning stages, nothing could be better than to see how the prints of others look. With technical info included it would be even more so helpful. Since most people figure things out on smaller negatives we could keep the cost of shipping down and maybe go with small groups as done in the regular print exchange.

Also, by alt process I guess I'm refering to contact printing process. Not to be exclusionary toward anyone. But it would probably help keep the comparisons in the apples to apples region.

Any interest?

Deniz
10-17-2004, 08:53 PM
the prints i will be sending in the Round 3 print exchange will be 8x10 contact prints either on Kodak AZO or Ilford MG FB WT..

does that count?

Aggie
10-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Mateo's prints are awesome. He is truely gifted.

jnanian
10-17-2004, 10:43 PM
hey mateo

would an enlarged print made from a hand crafted negative count?
i don't make negatives large enough to contact print yet ... but down the road maybe i will, just so i can do the exchange :)

- john

Jorge
10-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Mateo's prints are awesome. He is truely gifted.

I agree.....

gbock
10-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Mateo,

I'd love to participate. I'm new to APUG but I'm part of the eBay Contact Printers Guild with Jorge etc. I print in platinum/palladium.

Gerhard

Mateo
10-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Maybe I should have been more specific in describing what I had in mind. I hate the idea of being exclusionary and would rather not say X is ok but Y isn't. But here is what I was thinking: many of the handcoated processes have allot in common and many people don't have access to shows where they can see first hand what, for example, a well made Van Dyke print could look like. So an exchange and discussion of the prints could probably help some of us out. But this would have to be limited to processes that have enough in common to be of help.

Maybe even having more than one process isn't feasible. Maybe there would be enough people starting out in Pt/Pd to make an exchange of just that process work. Maybe another one of Van Dyke/Kallitype. The idea is not just to be able to collect prints, but also to learn and see.

Anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

galyons
10-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Mateo,
I thinks that this is a great idea! I have been on the cusp of trying Kallitypes toned in Platinum or Palladium. I have done a few VDB from 4x5 in the past. It would be great to have a support group/mentoring exchange. TomTom's working prints, and of course, your variety of wonderful AP prints, shown at the SF Bay gathering, really made me want to try the alternative processes again.

What few alternative process prints that I have seen "live" have been an inspiration. You may count yourself, and your prints, in that group.

During one of Per Volquartz workshops, his co-leader, Harvey gave an absolutely great mini-workshop on PT/PD printing. He took the mystery out of the process. He is an accomplished photographer, and an emerging PT/PD printer. His prints were very appealing.

Sandy King's posts and articles regarding Kallitypes has me leaning in that direction. I have considered the published PT/PD workshops, but time & $$$$$$$$$ dissuade. I just hate to put out funds for materials to waste in solo learning. The PT/PD Kallitypes appear to be a cost effective entry and learning point.

We could do the print exchanges and then, perhaps have scheduled discussions in the chat room. There may be enough APUG'ers in the Bay Area to have some sharing meetings and/or workshops. Another of our SF Bay Wine 'n' Show attendees is just coming back from a PT/PD workshop.

I do not have any alternative process prints to exchange now. But I think your idea would be most beneficial to current and pre-emerging AP printers.

Cheers,
Geary

wm blunt
10-18-2004, 06:26 PM
I print in platinum/palladium (mostly palladium) and would be interested in circulating a print. This is the only process I use but would like to see what others are doing. A young man looking at my work once asked if I ever tried other alt. processes and I remarked, after doing platinum I had no interest in any other processes. Dick Arentz was standing there and remarked, " he's an elitist platinum snob!" with a chuckle. I hope I'm not, but a platinum/palladium print "really does it for me"

photomc
10-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Mateo, guess you know I think this would be a great idea. ;) Would you consider 4x5 to small?

wm blunt
10-18-2004, 06:44 PM
4x5 is a wonderful size for platinum/palladium prints. I have several in my collection and would not want them any larger. Prints by Ryuijie, Jan Pietrzak and others.

Jim Moore
10-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Mateo,

I think this is a wonderful idea!

Although I have not yet begun doing Alt processes I think it would be great to join when I do.

Jim

Nige
10-18-2004, 07:14 PM
I'd like to have a go too but it would be cyanotype or Van Dyke Brown (as I have some of those mixed in my cupboard). Previous attempts have been half-arsed, varied and based on inkjet enlarged negs but something like this would get me to make a proper effort. I've also got a few 4x5 negs now to use.

So, if a 4x5 Cyanotype or VBD from a rank beginer can be slotted in to the mix, I'm in. If it can't, then no drama... I have RC postcards to print :)

Mateo
10-18-2004, 08:53 PM
I think 4x5 or 5x7 would be ideal but even strips of 120 could work as well. A print doesn't have to be huge to see how the process itself is working for the printer. If someone wanted to go larger that would be fine but keeping it simple and easy for shipping makes sense to me.

As far as which processes to choose, how about everyone who's interested just say what they would like to see. Allot would depend on how many people are really interested. We could have a group for just Pt/Pd another for Cyanotype etc etc. Or we could mix it up. The important thing to me is to let someone starting out in alt process see first hand how prints from someone else look. So Nige, I think the rank beginer is exactly who this is for.

jnanian
10-18-2004, 08:54 PM
But here is what I was thinking: many of the handcoated processes have allot in common and many people don't have access to shows where they can see first hand what, for example, a well made Van Dyke print could look like. So an exchange and discussion of the prints could probably help some of us out. But this would have to be limited to processes that have enough in common to be of help.

that is a great idea!
when i get my act together i'll join in :)

- john

Jorge
10-18-2004, 09:13 PM
If you guys want to try and easy and fun process, try making satista prints. Here is a good article:

http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_satista.html

it is sort of like a Kallitype but simpler. The final image is a silver compoaund but they can be quite cool and display many colors.

I would join you guys, but I have already too many prints promised.

CarlRadford
10-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Has this venture died a death or is it that I can't find the current thread?

All the best, Carl

David A. Goldfarb
10-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Seems like it never came about, but there are alt process prints exchanged in the other print exchanges and even the postcard exchange (!). I think in the current postcard exchange we've got a carbon print, Van Dyke, and maybe a tea-toned cyanotype.

That said, I think an all alt-process exchange would be neat, and if I can get geared up in time to make some more albumen prints, I'd participate.

gr82bart
10-22-2005, 07:21 PM
I've sent out nothing but Polaroid transfers in all the echanges I have been involved in. I've recieved infrared prints, a full year calendar, and a PT print. So I think alternative processes have been incorporated into the regular print exchange and certainly makes them much more interesting.

Art.

John_Brewer
10-22-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm interested in an alt exchange :)

J