PDA

View Full Version : Pictured Rocks Gathering - October 6-9, 2011

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Panoman617
09-30-2011, 01:04 PM
With rain last week up their the falls should be moving good to. Maybe some fog to in the woods in the morning also. Should be a good week for shooting Oct 1- 9

Marc Akemann
09-30-2011, 03:24 PM
My trip actually starts tomorrow as I head out to Batchawana Bay, Ontario for 5 days. Looks like calm weather for the week with nice, foggy mornings starting perhaps on Sunday.....Monday for sure. Tom "Toffle" Overton is driving over on Tuesday and then we'll see the gang in Munising on Thursday!

-Marc

billschwab
09-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Marc! Have a great trip! See you soon.

@Jim... Thanks for all the great info!

Gim
09-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Marc and Tom

I'm coming in Tues. ...Alger Falls Motel...Can meet you Tues. night or Wed. Please leave message with Brenda at Desk if I'm not around.

Jim

Marc Akemann
09-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Marc and Tom

I'm coming in Tues. ...Alger Falls Motel...Can meet you Tues. night or Wed. Please leave message with Brenda at Desk if I'm not around.

Jim

Hey Jim! Sorry, I meant that Tom will be stopping by where I'm staying in the Batchawana Bay area on Tuesday and then we're heading to Munising first thing Thursday morning. Google Maps directions say it's a 3 hr & 20 min drive. So I'd say at least 4-4.5 hours with crossing the Canada/US border and all.

-Marc

Gim
09-30-2011, 11:04 PM
That's cool. Spent time at Montreal Bay and Wawa, and all points between. A beautiful country and it's been a few years but I plan on spending some time there again. See you Thursday.

Jim

bobwysiwyg
10-01-2011, 08:53 AM
With rain last week up their the falls should be moving good to. Maybe some fog to in the woods in the morning also. Should be a good week for shooting Oct 1- 9

I love falls myself. I hope they are flowing for you. Two hours west, not much action. Despite having a very wet late summer and fall down here, after inquiring with the cottage owner (on Lake Gogebic), generally, it has been a very dry summer in the U.P.

Andrew Moxom
10-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Room is booked at the Day's Inn in Munising. I'll be rolling in about 1pm Thursday afternoon, maybe a little earlier...cell# is 612 867 5635... Anyone have their's they'd be willing to share? See you Thursday... BTW, Bill are you bringing your big rig? Or is it a film only venture this time? Just contemplating whether I should bring my 8x10 and darkbox?

billschwab
10-02-2011, 06:39 PM
BTW, Bill are you bringing your big rig? Or is it a film only venture this time?Film only for me this time, Andrew. I have to stop off at the north home to pick-up my utility trailer to take back to Detroit for firewood this winter. Too many trailers. :)

PS... I'm not leaving here until Thursday morning, so I probably won't get up there until later in the afternoon - early evening.

I also saw Mark Obrien today at the MiPHS show and he said he'll be coming in for a Friday night meal and drinks at The Sharkbay Bar (http://www.sydneysrestaurant.com/sharkbaybar.html)....

eskyone
10-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Andrew, I will be in on Thursday as well. I live an hour from Munising and was waiting to hear from everyone to decide what time. My number is 906 2414920

Andrew Moxom
10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Perfect!! I am actually going to try switching my hotels and going dutch with Jim to save some dough... I may bring my darkbox and a limited collodion kit, just in case something presents itself.... But mainly a film outing for me. I need to burn a lot of stuff I have hoarded! I owe Mark O'Brien a print too so I'll bring it with me... Might even bring the new acoustic!

billschwab
10-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Might even bring the new acoustic!Banjitar already packed. As much as I'd like to have the rig, I'm looking forward to traveling light this time around. I also don't want anything to tempt me from the trail to Grand Portal.
If I smell either, it might be all over. :)

This is going to be a good time gentleman!

Toffle
10-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Banjitar already packed. As much as I'd like to have the rig, I'm looking forward to traveling light this time around. I also don't want anything to tempt me from the trail to Grand Portal.
If I smell either, it might be all over. :)

This is going to be a good time gentleman!

Packing a guitar for sure. (hmmm... or banjo... )

Lee L
10-03-2011, 08:59 AM
I'll be on a schedule similar to Bill's, arriving Thursday late afternoon or early evening if things go as planned. I'll be able to email to SMS where I can get wifi. Looks like the amateur radio repeaters have far better coverage in the UP than the cell phone companies.

I'd appreciate it if someone could post Thursday dinner time and location (once it's decided) here or in a google+ circle I'm in. I might be arriving about dinner time, so it would be nice to be able to hook up for dinner if the timing is tight and the decision is last minute. (I figure cluttering APUG with daily details like that is a waste of server space.)

Looking forward to it.

Lee

billschwab
10-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I'd appreciate it if someone could post Thursday dinner time and location (once it's decided)In case you all are out before I get there, I'll be watching for this too. Those of you with my cell can text me as well.

Safe travels to you all.

Lee L
10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Don't want to force anyone into a certain mode, or leave out others, but I've made a google+ circle for "Photostock UP". I have Marc and Bill there, and found Tom, Sean, and Andrew and added them if they elect to add me to their g+ accounts. I'll be checking there as well as email and APUG.

Google+ is now open to everyone, in case that's a concern. I know some folks object to google or social networking on principle.

Lee

Toffle
10-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm pretty new to Google+, and only have a few contacts. I can't find your circle, Lee. (but I did get your add)
Leaving tomorrow morning to meet up with Marc in Batchewana Bay.
Cheers

Lee L
10-03-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm pretty new to Google+, and only have a few contacts. I can't find your circle, Lee. (but I did get your add)
Leaving tomorrow morning to meet up with Marc in Batchewana Bay.
Cheers
That's one of the privacy advantages of Google+, you make your circles and no one knows which one you put them in unless you tell them. So every user has control over their own circles. For instance, you could put me in a circle you've set up for "Ugliest and Dumbest People I've Ever Met", and all I'd know is that you added me to a circle. You'd never even have to look at that 'circle' if you didn't want to. You can also have the same person in more than one circle, and what you post inside a circle shows only for the people you have in that circle.

So you can click on the notification that I added you and then add me to whatever 'circle' of yours you want me to be in. That's where you'd see my posts to my "Photostock UP" circle, which contains you. You also won't be clobbered with any unrelated posts that I make in other circles.

For laughs see suggested Google+ circles at: http://chicogarcia.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/21-suggestions-for-google-circles/

Lee

Toffle
10-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Ah, so I won't necessarily see the people in your circle... got it. Is there any way to view the "Photostock UP" group?

Just to be on the safe side, I changed my "weird-ass luddite photographers" circle to just "photographers". :)

Lee L
10-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Ah, so I won't necessarily see the people in your circle... got it. Is there any way to view the "Photostock UP" group?

Just to be on the safe side, I changed my "weird-ass luddite photographers" circle to just "photographers". :)

Google+ just added that feature last Wed. I can 'share' a circle with you, but it only sends you a 'snapshot' list of current members of that circle, allowing you to add those folks to any of your circles. It won't reflect any future changes or allow you to see the posts to my circle. I'll stop with the G+ talk here and send you a link to a description of the feature on G+.

Lee