PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 24 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

mooseontheloose
11-05-2011, 05:00 AM
Sorry I've been a little slow to comment on all cards received so far. In no particular order:

"Baby Charlotte" from James Dean is a lovely portrait of a true survivor!

Jim Rollinger's "The Bean" is a great composition of form and shadow.

Mark Barendt's "Concern" is a nice capture of worry and work.

Mike Wilde's triple play of cards are all enjoyable, although like others, "First Dip" is my favorite.

Ruediger's "Jellyfish" remind me of walking on the beach in Thailand and having to watch out for those nasty suckers! Thanks everyone!

My cards have been printed since July, but I was waiting for a chance to sit down and write them all since the address list came out (it's been a busy month). Unfortunately I ran out of labels and stamps (not sure how that happened). So in the interest of moving forward, the majority are going out this weekend, but the rest (about 10 or so) will have to wait a week or two until I can restock my supplies.

Just a note about my postcards: sorry the horizon is not quite level, they did look alright when I printed them in a marathon session, but of course I noticed the problem when it was too late to fix it (I have no access to a darkroom other than a couple times a year when I head up to Tokyo).

Cheers.

Aron
11-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Yesterday was a special workday here, so I received two cards:

Mark Barendt's powerful Concern and Darwin's Bird Tree shot on beautiful PX.

FotoGys
11-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Yesterday Darwin's "Bird Tree" arrived, very nice shot and print and also Eugene's "Dragon Soccer" a step into 3D photografy, Eugene I love al the effort you put in and result you achieved

Guus

markbarendt
11-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Okay,

So I have in hand, baby Charlotte, Hundestrand, old graveyard in Stalingrad, Bird Tree, the Bean, Dragon Soccer, and the Marion Bridge-Monch Road Homestead-First Dip trio.

Being a newbie, my 1st post card exchange, I was really wondering if it was going to be fun or just a hassle, but it is great.

Not only did I have fun getting mine ready and I got to post them to places all over the globe to people who actually enjoy what I did: I get lots of fun stuff back. I'm truly enjoying each trip to the mailbox.

Looking forward to the rest!

Laurent
11-06-2011, 01:39 PM
This week I received several card :

DRPSilver's Bird tree. Great details and tonalities, and will inspire me to get my own AE1P more frequently.

Mark Barendt's locomotive. The expression is very well captured.

FotoGys's fine architectural image. The place looks amazing, and your image conveys this feeling.

Anakin's dragon soccer. A real surprise, as it is so different from the "regular" postcards ! (and yes, it works for me).

Thanks !

hpulley
11-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I too received Concern and Bird Tree, thanks!

kraker
11-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Since my last update, I have received three more cards:

markbarent's "concern", a great shot of both machine and men. You can just see that there's something amiss. Nice!
drpsilver's "bird tree". I guess I wasn't fully awake when I saw it. Nice picture, was my first thought. Bird tree. Oh, nice. Then I read "Trees can look like so many things". I looked again... and only then did I see the resemblance. Well done!
MattKing's "Thimbles". Strong graphic picture, I like it a lot. Shiny metal in black and white, you can't really go wrong there. :)

As for my postcards... I had hoped to print them this weekend, but looking through my recently shot negatives, I just couldn't find anything that I'm happy enough with. I had a few shots in mind, but... no, they don't work the way I want to.

So... I'm afraid I need a bit more time. I could also do with some inspiration. Anyway, just thought I'd update you on my status.

J Rollinger
11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I received cards from markbarent, DRPSILVER, MattKing and FotoGys... Great cards and thank you!

Ricus.stormfire
11-08-2011, 06:10 AM
I have received: rst's, "Dogs beach" & DRPSilver's "Bird tree". Thank you. Looking forward to the rest
to come.

drpsilver
11-08-2011, 11:05 AM
08 Nov 2011

Time to comment on the next batch of card that I have received.

The photo from markbarebt does a good job at conveying the gravity of the situation. I also like the implied motion as these guys try to fix the problem.
"Alien Lamps" from rst is a simple composition, but has a lot for the viewer to think about. I like how you look at everyday things with a different "eye".
The card from FotoGys has great detail and tones. Looks like an interesting place to visit.
The print from MattKing is simple and complex at the same time. The repeated patterns keeps the viewer "wandering around the photo" for some time.
The "card" from Anikin is really cool. I would never have thought about creating such a 3D viewer. Your instructions were easy to follow. It must have been fun to study how the brain "deals with" such information.

Regards,
Darwin

piu58
11-08-2011, 11:48 PM
I received Thimbles from Matt King. A very fine photo, real good tones and color by toning. Thank you.

markbarendt
11-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Got Guus' interior of an office building and Matt's thimbles, interesting compositions.

Ricus.stormfire
11-09-2011, 03:46 AM
15 (+1) Postcards are in the South African Postal system...sorry for the delay.

Aron
11-10-2011, 05:09 AM
I received Brian's very fine, neatly composed card and a special one from Anikin which made me feel like a young boy again, who's trying to figure out what the world looks like through a kaleidoscope. It was great fun, not only for me, but also for my friends.

Trond
11-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Two cards received during the last few days. MattKings "Thimbles", nice detail from a ferry, and it makes me think about sailing. Also Anikin's 3D experiment, which actually works. Very cool!

Thanks,
Trond

FotoGys
11-12-2011, 08:51 AM
This week I received card 8, Matt King's Thimbles. Love this shot, composition end tone

Mike Wilde
11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
My gathering of comments on prints from the 'waiting for coments shelf' that have arrived at my place in the last week or so:

Drpsilver – Bird Tree- I like the nice pattern of the clouds, which seem to sympathetically support the angular shape of this distorted tree. The image is sharp from foreground to the back of where we expect there would be sharpness. My only minor quibble is in seeing the boat on the right edge of the frame. A small shift in the taking position would have masked this and removed any ‘hand of man’ from this frame. The print tones, as set in the darkroom exposure and selection paper grade are great.

FotoGys - Architecturally inspired interior scene- A very nice subject (but I would not want to be the cleaner responsible for it). It is nicely framed, with the curvy column anchoring the right side of the print. I enjoy the clean tones and paper contrast selected in making the print. I think they are quite pleasing.

MattKing -Thimbles – A nice tack sharp macro shot. I like how you have framed it to partially cut of a part of the upper and lower elements of the progressively rising set of cable anchors in this scene. The toning gives good shadow density, and, I think, brings out the sheen of the wire rope very well in the print.

MarkBarent – Concern- Apart from the modern hard hat, this image could have been captured any time within the last 100- 150 years. The blur of motion works well in the otherwise static scene. The scene is nicely lit by virtue of your selection of camera position or perhaps just a bit of luck. The print has a good balance of featureless shadows and featureless sky, with just the right bit of tonal information in between.

hoffy
11-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Howdy all,

'bout time I post what I have - not a lot thus far, but I am sure we will come home with a full head of steam (considering I haven't sent mine out yet)......
Mike Wild - I have three from him, making most of the postage - Marion Bridge, Monck Road Homestead and First Dip. I quite like the old homestead. Quite different to what you see around here! The first dip also tells a good story.

RST - Alien Lamps - Interesting composition. I must admit, that I wouldn't have seen this if I was looking at the same scene. I'm glad that you did, though!

Jim Rollinger - The Bean - I love it, a group of boys doing what boys do best. Reminds me of a building in my area...hmmm, I must go and photograph that on a lazy Sunday afternoon

markbarent - Concern - I know that look! Nicely caught, just at the right moment. Hope they got the train going again

James Dean - Baby Charlotte - Very nice done. Love those little faces!

As for mine, I have 20 out of the 25 printed. Hopefully, I should get the last negative sorted on the weekend and in the post early next week

Cheers

Trond
11-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Received a great surreal photograph from mooseontheloose today. A strange landscape with balloons and temples, which I like a lot.

Thanks,
Trond

Laurent
11-18-2011, 06:28 AM
I've been late on commenting the latest cards I received...

In the last two weeks I got :

Brian Chambers Museum of Glass. Intriguing architecture !

Matt King's Thimbles. I like mechanical details and this one is very nice. The rythm and textures work well.

MooseOnTheLoose Sunrise over Bagan. The IR effect makes the image almost unreal.

Thanks !!