PDA

View Full Version : Specific Spectral Sensityzing Dyes-Anyone Interested ?

Pages : [1] 2

wildbillbugman
10-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Hello to everyone,
A few years ago PE recommended,on another Thread, red and green sensitizing dyes from from H.W. Sands. I purchased these dyes for $150/g and have been working with them ever since.
Now, H.W.Sands has quoted the same red sensitive dye at $395/g. Is there anyone out there who,like me, wants to follow PE's reccomendation and try this dye. I am thinking along the lines of a "shared purchase".
The dye arrives in dry form and must be weighed on an analiticle balance, then disolved in methanol and refridgerated.. After a couple of years at 4C, it still "works".
I have requested a quote from Honywell on another red sensitizing dye that, like the H.W. Sands dye is a green sensitizing dye, but will form "J aggrigates" and become a red sensitizing dye.
Bill

Hexavalent
10-29-2011, 04:14 PM
PM sent

Kirk Keyes
10-31-2011, 01:39 PM
OK - I'm in.

wildbillbugman
10-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Great Kirk ! That brings us to 3, possibly 4. I think that 4 is plenty. 250mg each aint that many emulsions at 150-200mg/mole of Ag. Most of you are not the emulsion making maniac that I am . But the price of silver is slowing even me down.
There is the matter of what we want to do about H.W. Sands minimum order of $500. Do you want to purchase some green sensitive dye. I have a pretty good ammount of SDE3008. That I have used at only 100mg/m. I am perfectly willing to give some of that to all participants. If your serious enough to buy expensive dyes, your experience can only help me. Please note that I had to disolve the 3008 at only 0.2% in methanol, whereas the 3057 is at 1%.. I am also looking into the pricing of some red and green sensitizing dyes from Honeywell. IDK if they are any cheaper, or even if they will work as well as the Sands dyes.
Bil

wildbillbugman
10-31-2011, 03:03 PM
My 4th buyer just fell through. I will wait until Wednesday. Then I will place the order. Remember everybody. It is not just me advocating this dye as a red sensitizer,. PE is the person who first recommended it.
Bill

Andrew O'Neill
10-31-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm interested in IR dyes...

wildbillbugman
11-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Andrew,
I don't know whether the J agrigate of SDA3057 absorbs in the IR range. I know of no spectrum measured of the J agrigate.
Honeywell offers 2 IR sensitizers. Search "honeywell Dyes"
Good Luck
Bill

holmburgers
11-01-2011, 12:54 PM
http://www51.honeywell.com/sm/specialtychemicals/ofc/products-n2/functional-dyes-n3/sensitizers.html?c=23

If you click on any one of the dyes from the list and then hit the "download" arrow, you can get a PDF describing the dye's use. It appears there are indeed some IR sensitizers available.

wildbillbugman
11-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Thank you Holmburgers,
Any chance I can sell you some SDA30057 ?:D
Bill

holmburgers
11-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I'll take it off your hands for small "convenience fee" (paid by you of course)... hehehe.

No, I'd love some, but as a wise man once told me, a running camel never shits (Mustafa). I've been running from project to project for too long and need to focus on ye olden ones.

Hexavalent
11-01-2011, 02:40 PM
but as a wise man once told me, a running camel never shits (Mustafa).

That's solved my "what tattoo to get" dilemma :p

holmburgers
11-01-2011, 02:51 PM
hahaha... may I recommend you focus on just a pictographic representation of this situation?

wildbillbugman
11-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Guys,
I know that I would have been the worlds most poor salesman. Maybe I should get a phonebook and start Cold-Calling.
Bill

Andrew O'Neill
11-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Thank you Bill and Holmburgers

Photo Engineer
11-03-2011, 04:52 PM
I may have located a source for custom dyes in custom quantities....

Any interest?

PE

wildbillbugman
11-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Hello,
Heck yes. I have still not received a final quote from H.W. Sands for 1.3g of SDA30057. They are the first company that I have ever ordered from who insisted on a "Formal Purchase Order".
I finaly downloaded a generic P.O. from an internet legal co, at a price. My P.O.#(sands insisted on one) was 0001. They have gotten very officious since I last dealt with them.
A couple of dyes come to mind. But I will go over my notes and give you specific Dyes in which I have inteerest.
Its a long time 'til Easter and egg dying time. I could have the most expensive easter eggs in California!
But,actualy, I am more interested in what you might have in mind for green and red sensitizing. And anti-halation is something I have never worried about yet.

Hexavalent
11-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Any interest?
PE

Of course I'm interested :p

Are 'standard' sensitizers available, or does 'custom' mean "name that molecule"?

Photo Engineer
11-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I have yet to get any information at all on this. And, Rome was not built in a day. It is going to take a while!

PE

Andrew O'Neill
11-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm interested... especially IR dyes.

CRhymer
11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I may have located a source for custom dyes in custom quantities....

Any interest?

PE

Absolutely!

Cheers,
Clarence