PDA

View Full Version : Northern MN winter trip

Pages : [1] 2

Andrew Moxom
11-27-2011, 11:00 AM
After a month or two passing since the very productive fall trip in Munising MI I have a hankering to get out again to photograph in winter and meet up with some friends. So I am just putting the feelers out to see who is interested in a jaunt up to northern MN for a few days. I am thinking that keeping it simple would be best by not having multiple hotels to book. I propose that we use Silver Bay as our central point as it's approximately half way up the shore and most destinations are within easy reach. Hotel of choice would be the Americinn in Silver Bay.

I also propose we follow the Photostock methodology that works so well of a Thursday through Sunday, with Thursday being the arrival day, and Sunday being the departure day. Of course this time of year will depend on potential bad weather so understand things might be fluid.

If we have enough folks, I will call the hotel to ask if we could get a group rate or not. I'm also up for splitting a room if need be? I know they have twin rooms, and that might help some folks out cost wise.

So lets get a head count and start from there.

Andy

rjbuzzclick
11-27-2011, 12:48 PM
That sounds like a great trip idea Andy, unfortunately I'm swamped with work and holidays through January with only sporadic days off here and there so will be unable to go. Hopefully I'll get a day trip up to Banning in the next week or two.

adamc
11-30-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm interested!
Any weekend after New Years should work for me.

mgb74
11-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Were you thinking Dec or Jan?

eclarke
11-30-2011, 10:31 AM
February is tops for the Northshore. We did this a few years back and the lake was spectacular, the trip coincided with the full moon...Evan Clarke

Thomas Bertilsson
11-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm starting to feel guilty about saying no... Got a two week trip to Scandinavia for Christmas and New Year's, a March trip to New Mexico, and an April tip to New York. I'm not sure I can fit more into the early part of the year without burning up all my PTO.

Have fun guys! The lake is spectacular. Bring cleats.

Andrew Moxom
12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I was thinking February too Evan as that's the best time for ice potential.... Full moon in February is on the 7th. so Thursday Feb 9th through Feb 12th should still be fairly good. Does that sounds like a good date?

bill schwab
12-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I've got my eye on this too, guys. I have to be away for the weekend of the 25th, so the region of the full moon might work for me. I'll have to look more at getting there, but I might have enough miles racked up to meet you in Duluth again. A lot on the plate these days, but I'll take a serious look at this soon. It was great that last time, Evan! Hope Andrew's back ailment won't make a repeat appearance.
:)

Andrew Moxom
12-02-2011, 11:08 PM
fingers crossed on my back, there has been some improvement since the steroid shot a few weeks ago... knock on wood it continues!

eskyone
12-02-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm in.

mgb74
12-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Feb sounds good

ishutteratthethought
12-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I could potentially do a Friday - Sunday on the weekend of the 7th.
Steve

adamc
12-03-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm in too.

Andrew Moxom
12-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Steve, the 7th is on a Tuesday... So the next weekend is when we'd be there.

Jerry Basierbe
12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Sounds like fun. I'm thinking about it.

Jerry

ishutteratthethought
12-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Steve, the 7th is on a Tuesday... So the next weekend is when we'd be there.

Ahhh, i must have been looking at January.
Still... a possibility.
Steve

Andrew Moxom
12-07-2011, 10:06 AM
So we have

Sean (eskyone) (definite)
AdamC (definite)
Steve Zimmerman (ishutteratthethought) (MAYBE)
Jerry Basierbe (MAYBE)
Mgb74 (definite)
Bill Schwab (MAYBE)
Evan Clark (not sure yet, will ping them)
Ike (not sure yet, will ping them)
Jim (Gim) (Not sure yet, will ping them)

Andrew Moxom
01-06-2012, 04:54 PM
So just checking in with folks..... With the unbelievably warm winter wears having, ice formation up north could be non existent. Just wondering who is still interested in going to the mn north shore in February?

Below we're the folks interested initially.
Let me know.

Sean (eskyone) (definite)
AdamC (definite)
Steve Zimmerman (ishutteratthethought) (MAYBE)
Jerry Basierbe (MAYBE)
Mgb74 (definite)
Bill Schwab (MAYBE)
Evan Clark (not sure yet, will ping them)
Ike (not sure yet, will ping them)
Jim (Gim) (Not sure yet, will ping them)[/QUOTE]

ishutteratthethought
01-06-2012, 05:48 PM
I am still interested Andrew.
There is still quite a bit of time for ice formations until then. Sounds like next week the cold weather will return.
It may even be more dramatic since the lake is most likely more open creating spectacular ice formations on the windy days...hopefully.
Steve

Gim
01-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I would love to make it but will be in the beautiful Southwest desert. Who knows, maybe next year but I would have to buy some real cold weather clothes.
Jim