Yep. That can be controlled with a little real Listerine (thymol) in the blend. But don't know if mint
flavor will make a neg print different than regular flavor! Or you can filter the water thru a coffee
filter and risk lint from that getting into the water. Just so much easier to mix up fresh each session
and not worry about all this other stuff.
I have filtered the goobers out but, in the long run, I find it to be faster, easier and just as cheap to toss the stuff out and mix up a new batch.
Now, I hardly ever mix batches. I just drip a few drops into a small beaker of water and stir.
Faster, easier, probably a lot cheaper and no goobers.
I take 7 oz of it and mix it to make a gallon of stock solution. The stock solution is then mixed at 1 oz per gallon for use. I doubt I will get thru the original gallon of 2100 before I retire.
Has anyone tried using other sources of surfactants for film drying? I know dish detergent is frowned on, but they sell industrial wetting agents at gardening centres for getting water into high-silicate soils. Anyone tried that?
For those of us without access to a lifetime supply of Photoflo-2100, it might become an interesting question soon. My previous bottle of Photoflo-200 was $3.99 (2009) and I've got 25% left. Concerned at Kodak going bust, I bought a new bottle last month: $12.99. I don't reckon I'll be able to buy any more at any price in Australia as the shops say it's discontinued and I got the last bottle from my local store.
Ilford Ilfotol works fine as an alternative, there are quite a few others too of course . . . Agepon, WAC, RWA, Mirasol and RA50 and that's just from a quick look at two online shops.
Kodak chemicals aren't made by Kodak anymore, so at best it's a marketing issue. Photoflo and Ilfotol
seem identical anyway, or you could batch your own. I'd never dream of using a gardening product;
it would be hard to know exactly what else is in it, even if you read the MSDS, which only needs to
list hazardous ingredients which are non-trade-secret. The unavailablility of certain things in Australia seems to be totally unrelated to Kodak mfg itself - I've heard the same thing about HC110
Distilled water 600 ml
Propylene glycol 250 ml
Triton X-100 75 ml
Water to make 1 l
This formula omits the antifoaming agent in Photo-Flo which can leave greasy spots on the film. It is also hard to obtain in small quantities.
I'm with Dan....I add about 4-5 drops per liter (much less than 1:1000) and a splash (a tablespoon maybe) of isopropyl alcohol. I went with a lower amount of photoflo because it tended to leave marks on my film in my water (Lake Michigan). Photoflo and alcohol act in different ways to change the surface tension. There are other surfactants like SDS or igepal but I figure that Kodak had smart chemists so I'll go with photoflo.
I reuse it until I've run enough rolls through it that it starts going pink. Though I can't imagine the alcohol in it at the 1:200 dilution not preventing mold growth. Though aren't you're only going to get mold if you have contamination to begin with.....