Yes,the ADDITIVE/'s are the puzzle, but in my thinking (which gets me in trouble now and then) the additive is probably only an attractant. Say, something like sugar/glucose would be for ants. Maybe the 1% is ground up household garbage to attract the roaches???? Just what I need for most of my shooting! JohnW
Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch
I do not know English too well.
I understand that your concern is related to the content of 1% impurities that give killer effect to boric acid . Around 1983 - 1985 several colleagues came to our chemistry labs to give them boric acid to get rid of roaches home kitchen. So, and boric acid used in film processing have a killer effect for roaches.
Boric acid has deadly effect.
You are doing very well with your English. Much, much better than I'm doing with learning Romanian. Fact is that I know no words in Romanian. See, you are way ahead of me! We know that Boric Acid is used to kill ants and roaches that's the 99%. We are just curious what the other 1% might be. Of course it might not be just one thing or chemical, but it might be a compound of things. They might all be good or some might be bad or all of the 1% might be harmful to the film emulsion. I don't think it would be bad and I will find out next week when I make two batches, (one with roach killer and one with pure Boric Acid) and try them out. JohnW
To quote the late Fred Picker - Try it.
JohnW, 1% impurity from boric acid you see here. http://www.chemicalland21.com/indust...ric%20acid.htm
APPEARANCE white cystals
BH3O3 99.0% min
PHOSPHATES 0.001% max
SULFATES 0.005% max
INSOLUBLES 0.005% (in methanol)
Ca 50ppm max
Cl 10ppm max
As 1ppm max
HEAVY METALS (as Pb) 10ppm max
Originally Posted by juan
I liked Fred. He might have been a little quirky, but he did know what he was doing. My first college course had one of his books as required reading and I have one of his darkroom videos stashed somewhere around here. Like Fred, I will try it. JohnW
JohnW, boric acid you should find at the pharmacy. It is used for neutralization of alkali accidentally coming into contact with the body. Once, in first aid kits at work and had to be bottle with a solution of boric acid.
Yes, I will visit my pharmacy tomorrow and see if they have it. I remember, as a small boy, my father plastered houses for a living and the second or finish coat was a mix of lime and gauging plaster. The lime was very caustic and every once in a while you would end up splattering some in your eye. It burned like heck and you had to get it out or it could cause very serious eye sight problems. My father got a glob in his eye and thought he had got it all out, but a day or so later he knew for sure it was still there. He went to one old doctor and that doc thought he had got it out, but a day or so later his eye was still very bad. He then made a trip to an eye doctor and he found the lime, cleaned his eye and sent him home. The eye specialist had him mix some Boric acid and distilled water, put it in a shot glass and then put the shot glass over his eye. He was to then open his eye and look up-down-side to side several times a day. In a day or so his eye was much better. I learned very early that acids aren't the only thing that can get you if the concentration is high enough. JohnW
Originally Posted by georgegrosu