Beat you by a year henry - a Brownie Starmatic for my 8th birthday in 1964.
Originally Posted by henry finley
I expect my Dad used his Kodak employee discount :whistling:.
The 11th birthday was better though -the Kodak camera shown in the attached plus a developing kit:
I guess I am the youngster. I'm only 50.... ;)
Oxleyroad – thanks for the D19 advice. I may try it if I decide PQ isn't right when I start on the Super 8. I'm interested in your note about sodium thiosulphate – I added a similar amount to that suggested by the Ilford Reversal sheet. It wiped out the image by about 80%. So I rediced to 0.5g in 330ml and this improved but the image density was overall reduced by about 15%. Still thinking about that and went back to retest my original 1st/2nd times and mixes to check they were working correctly.
D72 (Dektol) can be used as well, it's generally not realised (or remembered) that it is in fact a Film developer with Universal properties, it gives quite high contrasts. At one time Kodak marketed D72/Dektol as a Film developer then also as a paper developer in the US but it was a few decades before Kodak Ltd in the UK began selling it as a paper developer in place of D163.
From Kodak Ltd, Kodak Chemicals and Formulae, 1949, US Eastman Kodak publications (same era) recommend it as a film & plate developer and also as a print developer.
Wrong! DTOD is HOCH2CH2-S-CH2CH2-S-CH2CH2OH (1,2-di(2-hydroxyethylthio)ethane). It was substituted for 9.1 ml of sodium thiocyanate (51% solution) (not thiosulfate) to turn D-94 into D-94A.
Originally Posted by mr.datsun
D-94 is very different from D-76. D-76 does not have the energy to make a good reversal first developer, although variants of it have been used for some special purposes. Reversal first developers are normally high contrast negative developers, like D-19, with some thiocyanate added as a silver solvent to keep the highlights clear. D-67 is another popular first developer. It is simply D-19 with 2 g per liter of potassiun thiocyanate added. Dektol is fairly close (but not the same) as D-19; diluting it 2+3 and adding thiocyanate may (but only may) work decently.
What nworth said. The recipe ilford presented was tailored for ilford's offerings. This is why I make a hypo solution an add it at developing time, if required at all. You need to build up enough developed silver first, and that will be different with each type of film. I do not put any pre-mixed in the developer for that reason. Just have a look at the tables I posted on my blog.
I shoot a bunch of frames ranging from 25 to 1600 iso in 1 stop increments with a card indicating what iso I am shooting. When I look at the developed strip, it allows me to guess how much more (or less) hypo to add. You need to take a more systematic approach to nail it down.
I have been using Dektol to develop sheet film (for carbon printing) ever since I accidentally grabbed a bottle of Dektol instead of the D-76. I was going to use the D-76 because I ran out of the Ilford PQ Universal Developer.
Originally Posted by Ian Grant
The neg came out fine...so did the print: