So I'm 99% sure (until I develop a roll this evening) that you hit the nail on the head here!
Originally Posted by winger
I believe I may have been loading the film in incorrectly, and that means I could have five rolls of film at home that have been wound through the camera but not exposed! (I think I have consistently inserted it this same way, I didn't think it was incorrect because the start marker appears to be labelled on both sides of the paper!)
The 400H was actually loaded by the previous owner of the camera, and the shutter opens just fine without a film back as did this 400H roll develop properly in the lab.
I have attached images:
I developed a roll of Foma 200 this time to check if the film was different or not, there was a very distinct green tinted liquid washing out after the initial pre-develop bath in water!
IMG_2532.jpg: My second develop attempt (Foma 200)
IMG_2535.jpg: The mamiya guide
IMG_2535.jpg: Shows how I've loaded it to start with.
IMG_2536.jpg: Shows how I loaded it after more carefully examining the Mamiya guide.
Much the same results, very clear label markings.
I tried shooting through the backing paper one time and found out the reason they have backing paper......'cause no light can get to your film and ruin it! If you would have been using 220 film you might have gotten an weak image, but that darn backing paper works good. We all live and learn I guess. I hope you don't have any "once in a lifetime shots" on those rolls? JW
If you are sure just re roll them in dark bag and reload into camera use sticky packing paper or similar to hold together.
The cameras normally have load help annotation and the film is always inside roll from out of box.
You may have pressure plate scratches...
Films do have dyes some colour your developer some persist into fix and hypo clear or even wash water.
And I'm sure it won't take much guessing to figure out why I suggested that. :whistling:
Hope that's helped and that we can see some good ones soon! I haven't used (or even loaded or seen) a Mamiya to recognize anything in the photos. Hopefully someone will see the photos and chime in.
see my diagram
red line is the film. ;-)
First time I used a Mamiya RB67 I loaded the film wrong and the paper backing was facing the lens. I then spent all day going around, shooting carefully on a tripod. It did teach me to always check how to load a new MF camera.
I feel for you! A relief to know I'm not alone.
Originally Posted by Michael W
Thanks for all the help everyone.
I'll post the results of how it eventually works.
I think you should sort out what you are doing while developing as well. How did you measure the 500ml? A patterson tank should take 600ml or more easy. Did you drain the presoak?
Do you mark what is developer, stop bath and fixer? That way you will know what steps you have taken and remove any variables.
The film was not exposed properly. Either the film was loaded with emulsion on the back. Or the film never went through the camera.
I had one incidence like this. I bought a MF camera, with a film inside. So I removed the film back and rewound it in the change bag. After several month, I took out the film and loaded into my camera. I spent a couple of hours on the trail, but the 6x4.5 camera would not load at frame #12. So I had to change to another film back with a new roll of film.
After I got home and opened the film back in change bag, I found that the film was already rewound to the end. So I loaded the supposed exposed film again. Since there is no tape at the end (front in my case), the film was never exposed. It just stayed with the spool and would not win when the spool area is full.
It did not harm me much since I was only testing that camera. But I did waste some of my time.
Just to sum it up for people looking:
The issue was I loaded the film backwards.
I have done a few rolls since and most have turned out pretty acceptably, apart from scratching and sticking issues.
I'm well on my way enjoying film. Here's a picture from a roll of HP5+ that had a bit of light spill onto it but I like the picture and managed to make it somewhat usable. FYI I did discover Rodinal and HP5+ do not play nicely :(