I used HC110 at dilution B and developed for 4.5 minutes. Seemed a bit to much development though. I would imagine I should use a more dilute mix so I don't get into to short of develop times. The negs I developed in Pyrocat-HD came out perfect at 13 minutes.
So sticking to HC110 what dilution and time should I use?
is this predicated on 68 degrees f? How are you getting to dil b? are you mixing as Kodak says or one ounce to 31 ounces? Which film? I forget. I use the one ounce to 31 ounces for my convience.
I usually develop in the 6 minute range for normal. For cold light. Have you printed the film yet from HC110? Do that before passing judgment.
I know Hp5+ and at 200 That should do it.
Check out this site for HC110 information.
You might want to look into some of the other dilutions. I am trying Dilution H (unofficial-not described in Kodak Pubs) with is 1:63 (about 1/2 strength of Dil B)
The development times for Dilution H are about twice the Dilution B times.
I use Tmax and it gives me longer times so I can do (N-1 N-2) without going with too short a development time.
The Massive Development chart says 5 mins for HP5 @400 with HC110 B.
I hope this helps, it helped me quite a bit.
The negs looked over developed at 4.5 minutes to me. This is using dilution B. I will continue my quest. The temp was 70F.
We have been using that dilution rate for years in our classroom labs. Development time 5 minutes at 68. Film rated at 200. My own time is 5 1/2 minutes for one camera body, 5 for the other. EI 160 and 250 for corresponding bodies.
Barnbaum suggests 6.5 Minutes for N development in 1+7.5 stock to water. N-1 is 4.5 minutes, N+1 is 10.5 minutes.
Calgary water is more alkaline than his, so I've adjusted my times downwards about 10%. Seems to work ok for me.