I've done the opening the tank thing, flashed my paper with an iPod screen (yep, they're really bright) checked my focus without a safelight, mixed up my bath trays... The ironic thing is that these things happen despite what I would consider a fairly disciplined set of darkroom routines. What really bites is when I spend the whole evening "perfecting" a print only to have the final print stain overnight because I've exhausted the fixer.
I recently developed a few sheets of 8x10 in Ansco 130, 1:1. Amazingly enough, I think they might be printable using a high scale process like platinum.
Originally Posted by Uncle Bill
You cant fix film with developer, I found out. I'm not sure how I got them confused, I wrote on the bottles in big giant letters...
Another time I'd just finished loading a roll of 120 onto the reel and taken it out of the changing-bag, and my mum ran in and told me the chimney of the house was on fire. We got it put out, but it was somewhat surreal.
I've only been at this for a few years though, I have plenty more mistakes to make.
first few times I used HC-110 I had the dilution waayyyyyyyyyy off...I thought the intermediate stock solution was the normal dilution....images looked horrible
once in a community darkroom the Fixer Remover was labelled in such a way that I thought it was the Fixer.....I caught the mistake pretty quickly & it didn't seem to mess up the film
Hmm... in the university's darkroom the hypo clearing agent is simply labelled "hypo". I'll have to watch out for that one, especially when sleepy...
Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente
Another goof up I remembered, on a brief trip to a pond recently I spent about 15 minutes framing, focusing, waiting for wind and people to clear etc... Got everything where I wanted it, pulled the darkslide and got the shot! Except I forgot to stop down. There's a big difference between f/4.7 and f/32. Luckily I managed to get in another exposure and I am just taking a break from printing it!
When i first tried Cibachrome, I carefully blacked out my kitchen darkroom, prepared the slide in the enlarger and tentatively opened the paper. I slid my hand into the packet, pulled out a sheet of paper ans cut approximately one inch off for test strip. I exposed and processed it, whipped it out of the fixer and switched on the lights. No image appeared, it was just black. After trying again a couple of times i thought i'd bought some duff paper or chemicals. It wasn't until i put my hand back into the packet that i realised i'd been trying to print on the packing card!
Live and learn, eh...
Heh; I managed to expose my first Ilfochrome through the back of the paper; amazingly enough I got an image - a very deep red one, but an image nonetheless.
Originally Posted by kevs
Ah!...an inverse-photonic Ilfochrome!
display it backlit and you'll be hailed as a genius
The first time I used Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner, I was really disappointed with the results. Nothing happened!
Later I realized I had grabbed the Photo-Flo bottle and not the KRST. :rolleyes:
I remember arriving at a darkroom just as a friend was leaving. My friend couldn't find Fixer Part A so he just used part b, Big **** mistake. That could of killed him. Apparently the fumes were quite bad he said. I can't imagine.
And then there was the time I was the darkroom tech at the college and some students decided to have a water fight with fixer. That's the only time I really lost it.