Dang! My last post was a year ago... time flies, huh?
Well, as mentioned in the last post, I decided to keep track of hours spent in my darkroom. I added up the tic marks on the wall for a grand total of ... 101 hours. Sure doesn't seem like much. I have to remind myself that this represents darkroom hours only, not time spent shooting or teaching. And there was only one month that no dkrm work at all was done--certainly an improvement over anything in the past when I would
I've set up a new blog on Wordpress, which has a bit more flexibility as far as look/feel/content management. I'll be writing about my collecting vintage images, my gum and platinum printing, large format photography, and anything else relating to my photography experience. The URL is
I've already got some content up there which I hope people are finding useful and/or interesting.
My Daddy turned 68 today. He was born on a military base in southern Texas along the Gulf, don't recall where exactly. Grandpa was in the Army.
Dad played football in high school with Mike Gottfried at Crestline High in Ohio. He joined the Navy and served on the USS Orion (AS18) from 61 to 65 after graduating from the GL Naval Training Center. He became a machinist and met my Mom at a kegger at Kent State in 68, the year after she graduated from high school. They got married
The latest updates were to the homepage. I have put some extra focus on social networking and keeping a newsfeed updated there (news relevant to APUG & traditional photography).
Next on the menu is the big 4.1 core forum update which contains over 500 bug fixes and many feature requests. There will also be a gallery update and I think we'll shoot for importing the old links system into the new system.
No, it's not humidity. No, it's not finding the proper balance of pigment to gum. No, it's not the balance of pigment/gum to Ammonium Dichromate. All that stuff's easy. Relatively. The true bane is registering your negative(s), especially when trying to print a relatively darker layer over a relatively light layer. I was just working on an image where the under layer was Burnt Sienna, which in the real world translates into peachy-colored, fairly light pigment. Couple this with having a relatively