Call For Entries: After Life - $600 in awards
Watson Studio Gallery
Call for Entries: After Life
Submission Deadline August 31, 2008
About the Theme – After Life:
One of the many ways that humanity copes with the tragedy of death and mystery of the hereafter, is through its art. Whether celebrating the lives of ancestors, expressing grief, or postulating on the afterlife, many visual artists take on this daunting task with a variety of perspectives based on religion, culture and personal experiences. This exhibit will showcase the diverse perspectives portrayed by photographers and digital illustrators.
Watson Studio Gallery invites and encourages all photographers and digital illustrators working in all media, to participate in this exhibition.
The exhibition is open to all domestic and international, professional and amateur, photographers working with digital or traditional analog photography, digital/photo illustration or combinations of these media.
Exhibition and Awards:
As a benefit of being selected for this exhibition, artists and their work will be seen by an audience of artists and collectors who appreciate photographic and digital art forms.
- Winning images will be exhibited and available for sale at Watson Studio Gallery in Johnson City, Texas from September 27 to November 22, 2008.
- Winners will also be prominently featured on the Watson Studio Gallery website and be included in news releases to various local and web publications.
- A public reception for the artists will take place on Saturday, September 27th to coincide with opening events at the Kirchman Gallery and Arts Encounters at the Benini Sculpture Ranch.
- Juror's Selection award: $300
- Director's Choice award: $200
- Visitor's Choice award: $100
Jurors - George Krause, Carol Watson
About the Jurors:
George Krause was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1937 and received his training at the Philadelphia College of Art. He received the first Prix de Rome and the first Fulbright/Hays grant ever awarded to a photographer, two Guggenheim fellowships and three grants from the National Endowment for the Arts. Krause's photographs are in major museum collections including the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, The Philadelphia Museum of Art, and the Bibliothèque Nationale in Paris. In 1993 he was honored as the Texas Artist of the Year. He recently retired from the University of Houston where he created the photography program and now lives in Wimberley, Texas.
Carol Watson is the Director of the Watson Studio Gallery and an award-winning photographer in her own right. Carol's work has been displayed throughout the US and the world. Her work has appeared in various books and magazines including World's Greatest Black and White Photography and National Geographic Traveler. Carol was awarded the Lucie Award for New Discovery of the Year in 2005 by the International Photography Awards and has been selected to appear in two IPA Best of Show traveling exhibitions.
- The entry fee for this exhibition is $10 USD per image or $25 USD for three images.
- There is no limit to the number of images that may be submitted.
Submitting Entries to the Juror
All entries are submitted as digital uploads via the gallery's on-line system. This will be a 2-part process. First you will register and submit payment for your entry fees via a secure payment site (Acteva). Then you will be taken to the gallery's online image dropbox where you will upload your images.
Go to the Call for Entries page on the gallery's website to view the detailed prospectus and to begin the submission process: