Probably not; unless you could control the oven to a degree where you get exactly the correct amount of heat where needed, I would advise against putting slides in the microwave oven - unless you want a lump of melted plastic and a kitchen full of fumes, that is! :-D
Originally Posted by dnjl
To the OP: If the images are precious to you, I'd scan them at high res before cleaning. Better to have a dirty scan than no scan at all...
All IMO, and YMVV.
I found that Ronsinol lighter fluid on a cotton-bud/Q-tip is very effective at cleaning old slides like this. The fluid evaporates completely and doesn't leave smudges like Pec-12.
Personally, I would not run such infected slides through a dedicated film scanner such as a Nikon 5000 or 9000.
A flatbed scanner such as an Epson 700 or 750 is a different story.