There's actually a Kodak Tech Pub about this exact situation:
Apparently, you can either remove some of the orange stain by bleaching, or you can re-process them to try and get color images.
thanks nickrapak, I'd totally forgotten about that redevelopment PDF! I have plenty of spare E6 bleach from an old kit where the CD went bad, so I'll probably give that a go. Just as well I read your response before cutting the strips up!
The images are just snapshots though - I'm more bummed that I screwed up than about the possible loss of 24 frames.
I recently came back from a trip to Hawai'i and ran fixer through my 6 rolls of C41 first. It was the first time for me too. My mistake: I decided the pics were so important that I used new fixer, then mixed up the clear soup for presoak water.
Last night I developed five rolls of B&W and some frames have some strange marks on them - could be contamination on the reels from the E6 processing. Lesson learnt.
And talking about E6. I developed it for the first time on the weekend - first six rolls perfect. Then I went to reuse the chemicals for 120 film, and noticed the heater of my Jobo CPP2 not working. Pressed the thermal overload switch and nothing. So I thought to myself "the water bath should remain fairly stable, shouldn't it?". So I filled the bath with hot water and started the next batch with four 120 films. Then I noticed the temp dropping from 38C to 37C. Needless to say the next 20 minutes were most frantic - adding hot water, draining water from the bath, adding chemicals, draining chemicals, all the while seeing the temperature going from 36C to 41C. Finally pulled out the film and it was dark and milky. I walked away and cursed the machine. The next morning I came back and found the film perfect - the dark frames were there because my remote flash hadn't gone off. So to all people thinking of processing E6 at home - do it, if I can so can you!
Then there was the time I put the drum in the Jobo, walked away and didn't notice it sitting there not rotating...
Maybe we need a thread for dumb goofs! Here's just one of mine.
Many years ago I was new to souping my own negs, and noticed that hypo smelled like pickle juice. So I didn't label the developer or the hypo and used my nose to identify the hypo. Identical storage bottles. You can see where this is going! So I grabbed a bottle and measured out my developer and poured it into the daylight tank, banged it, and started to agitate... and notice a faint pickle smell through my head cold. Yep! Good, fresh hypo, too. Cleared that film in seconds!
Ever since I've been careful to label everything. I haven't made that error since, but there are always lots and lots of others.:laugh:
My biggest dumb goof to date (and there will be more, there will always be more) was when I didn't reset my camera settings after playing around with my camera and so I just assumed that my camera was set to ASA400, well you can see where I am going with this, my camera was actually set to ASA3200 (somehow the light meter readings didn't seem weird to me - go figure) and so I under-exposed an entire roll of Kodak Max Versatility (No great loss) by 3 (if my maths is correct) stops. I still have those negatives somewhere, perhaps one of these days I will try doing something with them. This film was also developed in ID-11, though that was actually on purpose to see what happened, not an accident like in the OP.
Well, actually there has been one bigger dumb goof but I still haven't figured out what actually happened there...