Go for it Dennis. I wouldn't use the corrugated plastic cardboard like I did however. The cells in between surfaces trap air that makes the thing try to float up. You have to shake it once submerged to dislodge the air. Still, you need to hold it down in some way. Ideally a smooth textured acrylic would be best, something like this http://www.tapplastics.com/product/p...ed_lucerne/549 . It's not the cheapest materials but the article that was mentioned in this thread in an earlier post indicated that washing efficiency was increased by using chambers with textured sides. Good luck and have fun!
The name of this thread needs to be changed to "Not so cheap print washer"
it looks like you made something similar to what used to be sold as
the fine art photo supply print washer
yours looks VERY nice!
Randy, I think that you made a great washer. Could you post a few more pictures of the final product and list what pump you used? Thanks!
You can pick up a submersible pump from Harbor Freight for really cheap. I use one as a recirculating pump in my wort chiller for homebrewing. You could stick the pump at the bottom of the tank with a bit of extra hose, or even a spray bar causing the water to recirculate in the tank. Added with the shower head at the bottom of the tank set to very low causing a very slow spill over, I'd think you would have a very decent home made washer.
I did just that Ed. I placed the pump at the bottom and have it pumped through a spray bar that shoots it back across the top of the prints to the other side. When I get home from this business trip, I'll pics of the final version. I bought the pump at pet smart for about $15.
Finally got around to taking a photo of the back side. The first photo is of the input side. Water is streamed through each compartment across the bottom portion of the prints. The second photo shows the opposite side. Th black pump on the right pumps water from the bottom into the "T" assembly which sprays water across the top part of the prints back towards the input side. The unit sits in the tub and slowly spills water out of the top on the input side.
Originally Posted by spijker
Try a few drops of food dye in various locations to see if the flow does what you expect.
Looks OK, though.