Awesome job! Welcome home brother.
Awesome job! Welcome home brother.
Ran into a big problem. The drain didn't work. In the rear left side of the main room is a 1.5" PVC drain pipe for my sinks:
It is connected to a sump pump on the other side of the wall. The pump is for a laundry tub that pumps the water UP to the sewer line that is overhead. I do not have an in-floor drain. The unit is a Franklin-Electric Drainosaur:
When we had our basement finished in 2009 the contractor installed the pump and it is totally enclosed behind drywall. It has it's own circuit with a 20 amp breaker. As I was out of state when the basement was finished I did not test the drain as the contractor had glued an end cap on it.
Now that I'm building the sinks, today I tested the sump. I decided to do it before I closed the drain area off with the second shelf. I'm ready to put in the 2nd sheld but doing so will make working on the drain hard.
I cut the end cap off and poured water in from a bucket. The sump filled up and did not pump. I checked the breaker - it was ON - and reset it. Nada. Crap. The pump is behind the wall in the enlarger room:
Yep, no easy access. So I crawled in by the bottom shelf and cut out an opening about 11x14" in the drywall to get access to the pump. After cutting away the insulation I could see the top of the pump. Sitting on top of the pump were the instructions! I could see the power cord so I grabbed to see where it went. Guess what? It was not plugged in!
I pulled the cord out through the hole I had cut and plugged it in. The pump works fine. I don't know where the dedicated circuit ends. I called the contractor and he is coming by Monday to sort it out.
I can't believe that they dry walled the pump in before they had finished wiring it up and left the instructions behind the wall as well. Mama Mia! :eek:
Now on to finish the sink frame.
Oi. And it got drywalled it in without access. Not a good idea. Every pump will need maintenance at some point.
I'm enjoying watching your progress, I'm getting ready to do some renovations in my space, this is sure helping me get ready.
I finished up the last bits to get the rough drain line in. Glued in a 9 foot section of 1.5" PVC pipe. It runs to the right side of the rear wall as that's where the two sinks will intersect with a single common drain. Note the open floor at the far right side. This is to make sure if there are any drain leaks the water goes right down to the vinyl floor. You do not want a storage shelf under your drain!
I used a hanging strap at the right end to raise up the drain. Plenty of flexibility in the PVC pipe to do this. I glued a scrap of 2x2 wood to snug up the strap fit:
Three pieces of scrap 2x2 cobbled together for a center support.
Now to install the 2nd shelf and the rest of the sink support frame.
I finished the film side sink support framing & shelves. The shelves were made from a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" particle board. It is important to screw the shelf to the frame. I used 1.5" #6 screws; pilot holes were drilled with a 3/32" drill bit. The shelf ties the entire 2x2 frame together and makes the support frame very strong. The sink support frame is 30" tall.
Note the outlets that are high up on the wall. When I had the basement finished off I had these outlets put up high for timers, safe lights, and processors. I even had an outlet put in the ceiling.
The open end at the right side is for the drain:
The next step is to do the same thing along the right wall for the print sink. Construction will be exactly the same, so no updates until I finish it. This sink will be a bit longer that the one just built. It's starting to look like a darkroom!
I finished building the sink support frames today! No issues, just a lot of other things I had to do that kept me away from the darkroom.
Here's the right side first shelf in:
Here it is all done:
Note the open space at the left end of the frame where it joins the rear wall farming. I realized that if I made the second shelf the same length as the 1st shelf I would have no access to the drain area and would not be able to hook up the drain after the sinks are installed! So I cut the 2nd shelf back from 96" to 80". I can crawl in under the drain area and work on the drain as needed.
From the doorway looking in:
And where the two sinks will join:
Next up: Building the sinks and the back splashes. Once they are in I will start painting it.
I like your setup. before I moved 8 years ago, I had a darkroom that also had a wet side dry side. I had two enlargers, one for 35mm and one for 6x7. Where I am now, I'm on a septic system and never rebuilt the darkroom. Now all I do is film in my Jobo and scan to print. Looking at your work is making me miss my darkroom. maybe some day again. Enjoy yours!
My Florida darkroom was on a septic tank (see my 1st post) Never an issue with B&W chemistry.