Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,611   Online: 964

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help with old 16mm movies

We have a few reels of black and white home movies shot in the 20s-40s that have not aged well. Can anyone suggest a place that can restore and scan these?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have some film to sent here but I have not yet sent it. So I cannot comment on the quality of the transfer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would bet any medium or major city near you will have a place to digitize them. My city of 85,000 does. Don't know about "restoring" anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Costco

Does anyone know who does the work for Costco's service? I haven't explored pricing yet, but am curious. Paul

Shooter
    35mm
    If the place you use does not do a restoration, see if they can give the files back to you as lightly compressed AVIs (such as DV avi or MJPEG avi). DVD is MPEG-2 and if you try to restore it then reburn to another DVD, you'll reduce the quality as MPEG-2 is a lossy compression method, just like JPEG is lossy.

ME Super

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    Does anyone know who does the work for Costco's service? I haven't explored pricing yet, but am curious. Paul
    It's done by YES-Video. Quality for DVD transfer is fairly decent, they do seem to attempt to color balance things, but do not offer a restoration service at least via costco.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin