Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,736   Online: 997

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Collecting old negatives from unknown photographers

Hi all,

I really enjoy to buy some old negatives on some flea market or on auctions, and then develop them in a darkroom... it is like time traveling. Also when I buy some old camera and as a bonus I get some old negative inside: it is great (one example from agfa isolette attached).

Anyone else has this "hobby" ?

cheers,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails isolette1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I have never been lucky enough to find undeveloped film in a camera. I do "collect" old negatives and 8mm film reels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I enjoy that too. Found film unprocesed in a camera is a special treat. Not that I really need another instamatic or 35mm point and shoot, but if that is the price of the film, well...

Buying old prints of unknown families happens sometimes too. Oh, and slides. I have a series of a couple on driving vacations all over north america most years between 58 and 74. The guy was a pretty good shooter, and edittied what he put into the slide carousels. His kids cleared out most images of the individual family members, and then put dad's images up for estate auction. out of seven carousels I repacked them down to take the spaeces out and ended up with 3.75 full carousels after a bit of light editing of my own. They are most fascinating to look at.

Also another series of slides for someone who rode horses competitively and went to florida to ride in the winter a few years in the mid 70's. I end up with them as part of a lot buying up some old maps. Estate auctions are a dangerous hobby that way.

I ended up with about 50 slides of a guy who died of a heart attack. They were in a box that I really wanted for the old Norman pack and head 200B flash rig. That rig now is most relaible,a nd well worth the $15 she wanted. The images are a nice bonus. Him hanging out with his friends mid 70's and off to surveyors camp, so I suspect he studied enginering at one stage. The sides have his pals names on the mount. I have yet to google them up and put a thread of them together.
    my real name, imagine that.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been collecting 40s-60s mug shots for a dysfunctional family tree project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Me too, i collect old negatives, just bought a bunch of kodachrome from the 50s.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The closest I've got is a roll of Verichrome I developed out of a Brownie Hawkeye (hard to tell what's on it, I may not have developed it right) and a glass negative I bought at an antique store.

EDIT: That glass negative picture isn't a print, it's a picture I took with my phone in negative mode.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Man, I have always wanted to do this but don't know where to find them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll share one with you guys that I like a lot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Film - 123 - 600.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	47188
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Araakii View Post
    Man, I have always wanted to do this but don't know where to find them.
    Flea markets, local camera shops, auctions - not only ebay, but other as well - for example here in Poland on allegro.pl you can find old negatives pretty often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    I'll share one with you guys that I like a lot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Film - 123 - 600.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	47188
    It is great - funny and good

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin