Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,667   Online: 858

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I purchase photographs when possible, several from people who frequent this forum. New work I purchase goes up on my print viewing wall for awhile along with my own work. I leave my own work up to see how it holds up after living with it for awhile, many times it turns into " what the hell was I thinking"! I rotate work by others only because of limited space.
    I think it was Fred Picker who made the comment that is was amazing how people that claim to love photography will spend hugh amounts of money on equiptment but would never consider purchasing a photograph.
    Wm Blunt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I used to have only my own pictures on the walls. Now I have prints by four other photographers - all of them APUG members, three of the prints I bought. Two of them joined APUG after I bought the prints, too!
    I hope I am one of those APUGERs

I have sold (at ridiculously low prices) many prints to APUG members. I have, currently, no APUG member prints on my walls but will have some shortly. I do have art by other artists on my walls. I received them in trade or as gifts.

When I have money for art I buy the tools I need to make art. When I have filled my needs I will look at other artist's work and buy or trade for their art.

The problem that you point out is that creating art is a very difficult profession. I travel a great deal and shoot at least 10 thousand images a year. If I was as prolific in the production of paperclips or bubble gum as I am with photographs I would be a far richer man.

jdc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've purchased six photographs: four from galleries, one from the wall of a restaurant and one from a student show. The last, interestingly, remains my favorite. But six photographs is a lot less than I would have liked to have purchased. Two resources have been in short supply: money and wall space. Unfortunately both are pretty much taken up by my own work.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the fact of relatively unknown or little-known photographers not selling on Ebay. In fact, I wouldn't put too much stock in Ebay at all. Ebay is unpredictable and just plain weird.

My own experience with trying to sell my photographs was a while back when I briefly ventured into the business of photographing horse shows. People who are into horses usually are not wanting for money. It still amazes me that someone who can drop $2000 or more for a weekend show won't drop $25 for an 8x10 glossy print to remember their performance. Well, anyone can take a photograph! Mind you, though, anyone won't get the timing right or bother to throw the unavoidable porta-potty in the background out of focus. But they'll steal the proofs which have holes punched all through them!

OK. Rant over.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I sell several a year and trade several a year. I agree with Les and George. I one 2 Edward Westons and a Ansel Adams and a few you have never heard of. It is hard work.

lee\c

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    I hope I am one of those APUGERs

jdc
    'Fraid not - not yet. Stilll haven't got yours framed. But fear not, it's in the time plan.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a lot of prints by people like Irving Penn, Ralph Gibson, Chris Rainier and others. The problem with buying photography (or selling it) is that people don't see value in it, even if it's beautiful, unless someone tells them it is valuable. That being said, I have been trying to sell my Irving Penn platinum print for several years and only had one bite. It hung in a large gallery for almost a year. It's a tough market, but judging by recent trends in the stock market I think people will start to loosen up financially by summer and we may all do a bit better.
    Pity the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lies awake night after night wondering if there is a dog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not a collector by any stretch of the imagination, but I have purchased a couple of prints from Web acquaintances and have traded prints with a few others. My motivation for the purchases was a strong personal identification with the subject matter, in addition to the excellence of the work.

My impression is that the population of art buyers is relatively small, with buyers of photographs as art being an even smaller subset. Those photographers who have consistent print sales have my deepest respect, as that means they have not only figured out how to market their work to the right audience, but how to do it well.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the art of marketing, is more important that the making of the art, that is not to say and unskilled photographer will do great if he is a great marketer, but it does embellish the thought that if you have the skill as an artist, it is imperitive to have the skill as a marketer, I currently have pretty good success at selling quite a few pieces, but the exposure came at the expence of donating quite a few pieces to auctions to raise money for a good cause, and now that has transformed over into sales from people who have seen my pieces at the auctions and requested a portfolio of my work, hence resulting in a good bit of sales.

But the ability to make a living off of art photography is difficult at best and for most a very long and thin income venture, I supplement my fine art sales quite a bit with regular stock and often a wedding or some other form of photography, the current ground glass business came about because of lackluster photography sales and the need for a screen for one of my own cameras, in which I did not have the funds to purchase. I have listed work on ebay with some success, but they are not my fine art pieces, the only thing I list on ebay for print sales has actually been posters that retail for a small amount of money, which does not pose the threat of lessing the value of the actual print.

Just my .02.

Dave Parker
    Ground Glass Specialties

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I do, have about 10 that I have purchased and then 6 more from members here. When the wife and I built the house, we bult a gallery room, rather than family room - yeah Helen, no TV there either - even put in some track lighting - would have more prints up if I could afford them, but ... do have a couple of my own up and may put some more up soon. Nice to have lots of wall space to cover with beautiful work.

Now books are another subject, several signed and beautiful books from Adams to our own Bill Schawb to Keith Carter..nice mix and yes - they are for looking at, not sitting around waiting to build vale. Same as prints, don't really worry if the they will even be worth as much as I paid..just liked them and that is why they hang on the wall
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    I know what jdc means when he writes 'The problem that you point out is that creating art is a very difficult profession.' But it isn't a profession, is it?
    Unless you have an aversion to applying the label to the activity when done to create a living, I would think that creating art can be/is a profession. Musician, Music Composer, architect, painter, sculptor, ceramist, photographer are all professions that have within a subset artist.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin