Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,991   Online: 1014

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

buying prints

I have to second Mr Blunt's statement. Yes it is downright ludicrous how people who want to become atists never actually purchase a photograph. What does one have to aspire to if not some higher goal. I've been buying prints for well over 25 years now- I should have bought much more not only for my own enjoyment but for the actual value. Have several Bravos I bought in the early nineties that have quadrupled. A $2000 investment is now worth well over $10000. But they are both great prints and I'll sell them only to further my artwork i.e. for supplies. When I attended a ZoneVI workshop many moons ago the instructors all sold some work at the end of the week. I have those prints too-they may never become valuble but they are still great art. I'm in the process of getting a print from an APUG'ER right now and have started trading with some others. This Forum is an unprecedented opportunity for anyone interested in Photography. I do believe the Gallery system can be undermined and the fact that someone sells their artwork on Epay makes it no less valuble; only an incredible opportunty for someone to purchase great art at reasonable prices. EW used to sell his work for $5!!! Remember that!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Purchasing photographs is how I learned to print. I wanted to have a benchmark to work towards and carrying an image home in my head from a gallery or museum didn't work very well. One of the first prints was one of the Adams Yosemite Special Edition photos printed by Alan Ross. Since then I have collected work by Howard Bond, Jay Dussard, Cole Weston, Kim Weston, Tom Millea, Dick Arentz, Jan Pietzak, Ryuijie, Edward Gillum, David Vestal, Roger Fremier and several others. Recently purchased a wonderful platinum print by Ray Bidegain. Never made a purchase as an investment, just like the photographs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a pretty good bunch of other shooters' original prints, and a LOT of money sunk into photo books (not all photographers live by selling individual prints!). One the wall are mostly my own, along with other works like computer graphics and posters for movies I worked on, and paintings by friends. Biggest bid so far from me was $1600 (ultimately outbid, *sigh*) last year for this print. But as I say, there are many ways to subsidize the arts beyond just buying prints. I do agree that looking at fantastic prints is a fine way to improve your own printing (likewise for drawing and painting, btw). A book reproduction doesn't have the same tonal range and issues of scale and immediate materials vanish from reproductions (shining example: all daguerrotypes).

A couple of other thoughts on this here, especially toward the end.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The closest I get is vintage photographic postcards which are either advertising or quirky in some way. I also tend to got for books of photography as I enjoy reading about the work as well as seeing it. I confess that all the pictures hanging in my home are paintings of some sort on a variety of materials such as silk.

I agree that the number of artists making a living purely from their work is a very small percentage. Most also teach or earn their crust working in related area's, I suspect nothing has changed throughout history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    What we do to get the most from our wall space is to rotate work. As my wife is an artist, there are new works to hang and older works to retire and/or sell. My own stuff rarely lasts more than two or three months on a wall. The photographs we've purchased, though, stay up for good.
    I work like jovo, my stuff gets rotated out of one frame, but the purchased/traded images have stayed up. Just hoping to have enough good work over the next year to be happy with a rotation of 2 images.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've bought quite a few prints on eBay. I'm drawn to work that is different from what I do, or am able to do, stylistically. This includes nudes (I have quite a few of Ray Bidegain's exquisite pt/pd prints), surreal work and architecture. My main criterion is that the print evoke a strong emotional response. Whether it's conventionally "beautiful" is irrelevant. If I buy it, it's beautiful to me.

Selling on eBay is the main outlet for a lot of very talented artists, including people who would never sell their work through the gallery channel, or any other channel. In my opinion, it would very unfair to say that an association with eBay cheapens an artist or his/her work.

I've also begun to trade prints with others on this forum and elsewhere, and find that even more rewarding than buying prints.

Gerhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would like to buy prints, but at the moment If I have the choice between buying prints and being able to buy film, get up to Sctoland etc I will take the latter. I hope to be in a position financially where I can splash out. I think anyone who is trying to get somewhere with their own work would take great pleasure in supporting others trying likewise. For now, however, I (like others) have a spot on the horizon which I am charging towards. Going to exhibitions and reading constantly keep me reminded of the wealth of talent out there. I therefore dont feel the 'need' to buy, but look forward to it in the future!

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the closest i have are vintage portraits of and by unknowns of a bygone era and prints and other art i have from exchanges with other photographers and artists. a few are from apug, but others are not. i don't have a lot of cash lying around and when i do, it is mostly sunk back into lenses and equipment that i use to try to eek out a living. over the years i have bought and sold some vintage glassplates though. there was a box of vintage magic lantern slides of airmail and aviation pioneers that i got free with a camera years ago. i sold them to a guy from niceville florida for way more than i paid for the camera &C originally. alot of the images can be found here: http://airmailpioneers.org/
    Last edited by jnanian; 11-13-2004 at 06:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    . Biggest bid so far from me was $1600 (ultimately outbid, *sigh*) last year for this print.
    A very powerful photograph, as are the others on the website. My Spanish isn't very good anymore. I gather the photos are of some open pit mine in Mexico from years ago. Probably the photographer is famous, but I don't know the name. Can you tell us something about him and his photographs, or where to read (in English) about him?
    Thanks,

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker
    A very powerful photograph, as are the others on the website. My Spanish isn't very good anymore. I gather the photos are of some open pit mine in Mexico from years ago. Probably the photographer is famous, but I don't know the name. Can you tell us something about him and his photographs, or where to read (in English) about him?
    Thanks,
    Sebastiao is brazilian, and I beleive the picture is from a mining operation in Chad, but I am not sure. Anyhow, you can read more about him on this link.

http://www.terra.com.br/sebastiaosalgado/

Nope, I was wrong. The picture is from a gold mine in sierra pelada, Brazil.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin