Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,696   Online: 941

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker
    A very powerful photograph, as are the others on the website. My Spanish isn't very good anymore. I gather the photos are of some open pit mine in Mexico from years ago. Probably the photographer is famous, but I don't know the name. Can you tell us something about him and his photographs, or where to read (in English) about him?
    Thanks,
    Salgado took that image in a Gold Mine in Serra Pelada, Para, Brazil in 1986. His is an extraordinary and prolific photographer. If you like those images, buy his book "Workers".

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Just bought another wonderful Nze Palladium print on ebay (a member of our sponsor, The Contact Printers Guild). Again, I was the sole bidder for this terrific print which I bought for a meager $49! What a deal! (for me - certainly not for Nze). I noticed that many of the Guild's prints have gone bid-less over the past weeks - an unfortunate situation for those hard working guys. I would again strongly encourage all APUGers to check out their auctions and bid. You will not regret it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About 18 months ago I opened a small gallery in Bosham, West Sussex with my girlfriend who makes mosaic tables. It is called www.up-the-creek.co.uk

The hardest part was hitting the price for the customer base. The past 6 months have been very good with about 1 to 2 print sales per week (various sizes) being sold. Local prints go down very well as do my floral studies. I have just recently set up online ordering.... but this will take some time to get off the ground as marketing budjets are very low - this is a self-funding hobby at present :-)

And yes I do buy other photographers work.... if others buy my work, then I should buy others.

Nigel

photography is an art of expression.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Up until now, I have only traded my b/w silver work (printed by a lab).

I would like to sell some of my alt-process prints, but as I have only recently just started doing my own printing, I have to improve my techniques and get more and different things in my portfolio.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't have a lot of money so film and other photographic supplies are my priorities (along with food and shelter) but I do buy other peoples' work. Not just photographs but various forms of art. There is something inspiring about having art displayed around me.

Cheers,

James

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a very good friend who just bought a HCB for $12500 and is now going to start buying cheaper photographers (up to $3000).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    i'm still trying to figure out what "fine art photographs" are. they all seem to be the same to me ..... photographs.

boring landscape photography = fine art?
    not so boring landscape photography = fine art?
    photography that mimics some "master's" style = fine art?
    portrait photography = fine art?
    nudes = fine art?
    architectural photography = fine art?
    street photography = fine art?
    combat/documentary photography = fine art?

... i spoke with one of the managers at the only local pro-shop in my area.
    i asked what kind of photographs he took, he said " fine art " and then described how he projected slides of violence onto serene landscapes.

i guess that explains what "fine art photography" is ...
    I feel that 'fine art' photographs are more emotionally tied to the artist. I break it down to snapshots, stock type photos, fine art photos -fine art being the ones that dig deep on many levels..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin